How do you grow yours?

We put, in general, 3 bags of 10-10-20 into the seedbed, and then split the top dressing 60:40 to bring it up to 125 - 130 units/acre for spring barley.
There may be some exceptions, but generally that is what we do.

Pretty similar here also. Although we hit 140 units last year on winter but it was on high hilly ground with little soil. Probably hit it with more again this year.

Sounds interesting.

We have moved to 10-10-20 as I am not happy with the rape and pillage approach either of 18-6-12 but our land does get routine applications of dung also.

3 bags of 10-10-20 on the seedbed and 2 bags of Sulfa CAN once the tramlines are well visible (around 4 weeks after sowing usually) is the way we are doing it. All N in one split but it is only feeding barley.

Looks like I should up the N a bit more but then we are not far off 3t/ac average of continuous SB which is not bad IMV.

Pretty similar here also. Although we hit 140 units last year on winter but it was on high hilly ground with little soil. Probably hit it with more again this year.

I think we will up the units a bit this year, especially as most of the land is long term tillage ground:thumbup1:

Sounds interesting.

We have moved to 10-10-20 as I am not happy with the rape and pillage approach either of 18-6-12 but our land does get routine applications of dung also.

3 bags of 10-10-20 on the seedbed and 2 bags of Sulfa CAN once the tramlines are well visible (around 4 weeks after sowing usually) is the way we are doing it. All N in one split but it is only feeding barley.

Looks like I should up the N a bit more but then we are not far off 3t/ac average of continuous SB which is not bad IMV.

I like to split it, as I would put out maybe 3 & 3/4+ bags of sulfacan out, and that is a lot in one go. Normally leave 10 days to 2 weeks between splits.

Sounds interesting.

We split all top dressing on everything here. It depends on the weather really but its got to give the plant more of a chance to take it up :001_unsure:
Its really all down to the weather though

You see a neighbour has been doing and he hasn't convinced us yet :001_unsure:

I think one thing for sure though I should up the Sulfa CAN a bit more. €5-€10/t is not much per acre for sulphur :thumbup1:

Maybe I'll try a split nitrogen this year and see how it goes to convince myself. I am conscious though we own our own gear, every pass through is another €6 an acre at least.

We spread 3 bags of 13/6/20 followed by 3 bags of n in two splits (2 bag+1bag) up to approximate 120 units. Still struggled with protein 8.3-9.2. Don't know how much more I can push it. Our land that got 13/6/20 yielded 3/4t/ac more than the 18/6/12 ground 2.75-3.5 t/ac

Many using liquid N in early stages?

No, but I was talking to Breen agricultural services in Enniscorthy about the possibility of applying some of the N in liquid form. It is more beneficial to use liquid later on, according to what he was saying. He was supposed to get back to me, but I have not heard from him yet.

No, but I was talking to Breen agricultural services in Enniscorthy about the possibility of applying some of the N in liquid form. It is more beneficial to use liquid later on, according to what he was saying. He was supposed to get back to me, but I have not heard from him yet.

We get N16 + Mag from Breens, great stuff:thumbup1:

We use nutriphite, is that a parrallel product:confused1::confused1:

How do you find it and at what stage do you put it on .
I was thinking of using the nutriiphite seed dressing on spring barley to get it out of the traps quicker. Also will use a bag of grolime to the acre .

For winter Wheat or oats.
1 Harvest crop and chop straw .
2 Give the field a run of the horsch fx. Occasionally it might need a second run.
3 Spray with 1 Litre of roundup.
4 Sow with a Knockerling Drill .We gave up on the Vaderstad drill as it was not able for wet conditions .
5 Roll it if dry.
6 For wheat we use a herbicide which has a bias towards controlling grass weeds. Alister or Firebird Plus IPU. Oats we hold off spraying a herbicide till spring and if there are no competitive weeds we do not use any . We use Starane if there are weeds.
7 Feriliser between 120 to 160 units of sulpha Can.Oats less than 100 Units of sulpha can . P and K is used sparingly based on soil test .

For spring Crops the same regime but we usually give a run of the horsch to freshen up the ground .

How do you find it and at what stage do you put it on .
I was thinking of using the nutriiphite seed dressing on spring barley to get it out of the traps quicker. Also will use a bag of grolime to the acre .

I used it last year on the winter oats after the hard winter definitely gave it a lift and thickened it up a bit. I sprayed it on the 8th of april.

Back