how much is tillage ground making ?

You like a bargain
Would be an average deal for me, if the quality of land is grade 2. Im assuming its grade 1 land. West of Ireland harvest weather would be a serious risk.

My price would put 260 to 280 in your pocket per acre for the next few years, I would happily take that, if I wasn't farming and a landowner but everyone is different. Not many farming clearing 250+ in cereals per ac on average.

would you not consider a 50/50 profit share so?

I dont know how relevant the ton of wheat per acre is anymore. Jim Mc Carthy was working off that figure 20 years ago but how many of the factors have remained static in that time? Certainly there wasn't anything like the competition there is now for rented ground
More to the first point wheres Jim McCarthy now ??? Id say a lot of his landowners werent to anxious to take the ton value when it was at the low end of the cycle !!! To the op if you get 150 an acre and half of whatever the sub is handed back from a solid reliable tenant close your fist on it !! Its not llike hes going to clean up at your expense is it ??
And if you really want to have grain in the land why not grow it yourself ??
A contractor could probably qoute keen enough to do the whole job and you would have the whole sub to yourself . But be warned Mother Nature a grand old dame who rocks in such an unpredictable way might decide to wash out the harvest some years and you could be dipping into the sub to pay the contractor !
All figures done on theory are fine on paper but reality can be a bitch sometimes .

Would be an average deal for me, if the quality of land is grade 2. Im assuming its grade 1 land. West of Ireland harvest weather would be a serious risk.

My price would put 260 to 280 in your pocket per acre for the next few years, I would happily take that, if I wasn't farming and a landowner but everyone is different. Not many farming clearing 250+ in cereals per ac on average.

would you not consider a 50/50 profit share so?

well 180 with you keeping the greening would be cheap land , under a hundred euro per acre

well 180 with you keeping the greening would be cheap land , under a hundred euro per acre
It wouldnt, your mixing up hectares with acres. As it stands greening is 30% SFP, which is €40 per acre. 190 - 40 = 150 per acre while SFP is about, which as I said I cant see been about in 2 yrs for leasing. You seem to be afraid that your tenant might make money, so its going to be hard for you to find a suitable client to lease it to. You have €280 tax free per acre in your pocket, for the person leasing it, they will have to earn €540 per acre (higher rate tax,paye,usc coming in at 48%) to have the equivalent in their pocket.

Your best to just worry what finishes up in your own pocket.

As I said, either contract farming or share farming seem the best way forward for you, if your afraid of someone else making a living. If your initial offer was so generous, either of the two farmers would have taken your hand off, which they haven't. The vast majority of land is leased allot less than it says in the media or whats local gossip

If you dont want stock on it, what about setting it to someone for silage . Three cuts a year.

Is it a tillage area

Yeah , I might consider that, three cuts of silage per year not easy on land though not potatoes hard on it
There are a couple of leases I know of that are contingent on a soil test being done annually with agreed on minimum values. You would need to find the right customer though and I know for a fact they aren't paying headline values. They pay though and mind the places like their own.
In fact, reseeding is part of these agreements too with money being knocked off for improving the places

Last edited:
Yeah , I might consider that, three cuts of silage per year not easy on land though not potatoes hard on it
Well worth it, silage making 150 for first cut, 100 for second cut and 70 for 3rd cut around here. All you have to do is fertilise it yourself and you keep the entitlements.

I know a fella that let his land for small money but he got the dinner 3 days a week from the fella that took it and Christmas dinner too. win win for both.
Its happening local here, where the landlord turns up every day to the leasees house for the dinner. If the land was for free, it would be dear with such an arrangement

Doesn't answer any of the questions but all I can think when I read this thread, and others like it, is that when a landowner can make from their land by leasing it out to someone else to farm rather than farming it themselves then the whole system is completely and utterly arseways.

Can you enter into an official lease with a tenant for cuts of silage while making the BPS application in your own name?

Thought you had to be farming it yourself, I understand you could just say you sold two or three crops but that perhaps doesn't qualify for tax exempt long term lease status?

Can you enter into an official lease with a tenant for cuts of silage while making the BPS application in your own name?

Thought you had to be farming it yourself, I understand you could just say you sold two or three crops but that perhaps doesn't qualify for tax exempt long term lease status?
No, you cannot. You cannot claim any income from the lease tax free if you don't transfer the entitlements by means of a lease or sale. You won't get an official lease from someone to buy cuts of silage off you. Every year is different for grass growth. What is worth 150 euro per acre one year is only worth 100 euro per acre another year etc. You are basically going to end up selling a standing crop, or letting the ground for the tenant to fertilise etc. But you won't be able to claim the income tax free. If you want to take the income tax free, then the ground has to be leased for a set period of time but you cannot hold onto the entitlements and claim the BPS yourself.

No, thats illegal.

As I said earlier, unless you can have a net profit from each acre of €540, your better off to have the lease and sfp in your pocket at €280, and let some other guy farm it.

SFP, I consider a reward for land ownership, and the tax free status for leases should be re-examined as it bad value for money IMV

No, you cannot. You cannot claim any income from the lease tax free if you don't transfer the entitlements by means of a lease or sale. You won't get an official lease from someone to buy cuts of silage off you. Every year is different for grass growth. What is worth 150 euro per acre one year is only worth 100 euro per acre another year etc. You are basically going to end up selling a standing crop, or letting the ground for the tenant to fertilise etc. But you won't be able to claim the income tax free. If you want to take the income tax free, then the ground has to be leased for a set period of time but you cannot hold onto the entitlements and claim the BPS yourself.

Yes ,that's what I suspected

Back