How much is timber worth ?

The Stig

So a sister of mine got a lot of trees felled professionally a few months back and is interested in selling some off. It is mostly Ash and is asking me how much it is worth ? It is in lengths and stacked. Timber is in various widths etc, would the best way to sell it be by the ton as is ?
All advice welcome.
Thanks

So a sister of mine got a lot of trees felled professionally a few months back and is interested in selling some off. It is mostly Ash and is asking me how much it is worth ? It is in lengths and stacked. Timber is in various widths etc, would the best way to sell it be by the ton as is ?
All advice welcome.
Thanks
I would think selling by the weight as is would be the easiest way, if she were to get it cut up & split it would add more cost. Is there a weighbridge that could be used if someone is interested?

I would think selling by the weight as is would be the easiest way, if she were to get it cut up & split it would add more cost. Is there a weighbridge that could be used if someone is interested?
That was my suggestion to her earlier this evening.nearest weighbridge would be at least 5 miles away. I'd have to weigh my trailer empty then weigh it full of whatever lengths she happened to be selling. It would be work for me to do that but at least would help her out. Money would have to be in the paw before unloading though

The value will be affected by the quantity and whether it's suitable for a processor ie diameter not too big and straight.
Any pictures?

IMG_20220830_093244_981.jpg
IMG_20220830_093249_078.jpg

Find someone in the timber trade who will give you X amount for the whole lot . Get the money before they touch it .
It will be hard to keep track of who took what , and who paid for what they took , if selling to a number of people
Doubt if there much out of sawing it , chopping it up and delivering it, except a lot of work and sweat 😓

That was my suggestion to her earlier this evening.nearest weighbridge would be at least 5 miles away. I'd have to weigh my trailer empty then weigh it full of whatever lengths she happened to be selling. It would be work for me to do that but at least would help her out. Money would have to be in the paw before unloading though
I wouldn't go down the route of loading it on your own trailer, bring the buyer's vehicle to the weighbridge before they load and again when loaded.
Going by the pictures you put up it looks to me like a crane and grab would be needed to load those lengths.

Thank bagenal, no matter what way you look at it it will be a bit if effort to load I'm guessing, it will get done alright but nothing is ever easy 😄

If you estimate the cubic metres it would be a start .just measure the stack roughly,that will convert in to whether it's a full artic load or whatever.there are percentage figures for estimating the volume of timber in a stack bu they are for straight forestry timber so would not really work in this case.
Hauling timber isn't cheap but needs to be done by a trailer with a crane to be efficient

Fella I know got timber like that not long ago , it fitted flat in a broughan 16t dump trailer up to the sides and paid 650. He thought it was cheap.

Bought trees that came down and paid 1200 for the three of them . Which was dear as there wasn’t much in it.
I’d ask 2000-2500 as they are and see how you go. People are mad to buy timber lately .

Back