Husky vs stihl vs mitox vs efco chainsaw and combi pole saw/brush cutter.

Robbie260

Looking to get a high end home owner/farm grade chain saw and one of these strimers/brush cutter/pole saw combination machines. Thought here would be most appropriate as the chain saw is going to be the main bit of kit. Other brands will be considered but the 4 listed in the title all are avalible through the big local industrial suppliers. Anyone got any advice on what might be the better machines to go with. Looking for a 14 inch bar saw that could possibly run a 16 inch bar if needed.

Echo or stihl seem to be the best multi tools.

My father had a 60cc efco saw for 20+ years, was a touch heavier than my husqvarna 460 but was wayyy more powerful.

Looking to get a high end home owner/farm grade chain saw and one of these strimers/brush cutter/pole saw combination machines. Thought here would be most appropriate as the chain saw is going to be the main bit of kit. Other brands will be considered but the 4 listed in the title all are avalible through the big local industrial suppliers. Anyone got any advice on what might be the better machines to go with. Looking for a 14 inch bar saw that could possibly run a 16 inch bar if needed.

Had an Efco lawn mower. Piece of shite so I wouldn't rate their stuff. Husky are fairly good but not the saws they once were. Id say stihl are probably one of the best these days.

I have a 53 cc Efco Strimmers since 1999 .I havent spent a euro on it in that time , except to buy a couple of blades/different heads for string .
I have had several Husky saws. Present one is 9 years old , and a smaller professional model .
I asked our local small engine spanner man which he'd go for ,Stihl or Husky . He said Stihl , but he said if everyone bought Stihl, he wouldn't have anything to do.

Is Mitox Chinese ?

Hear Echo aren't bad either.

I’m sure their professional saws are good but I had a non professional Husky saw and was glad to trade it in for a Stihl.
I really rate Stihl, would be slow to buy any other engine tool after trying different brands over the years. Currently have Stihl saw, hedge trimmer and brush cutter.
Stihl seem to have a generally good balance between cost, power, quality and weight.

This is the saw I have, not a professional lumberjack type machine but handy for anything I would have to do.

9A78E93F-E07C-47AA-9F6C-BA310EB78B35.jpeg

Have a Stihl MS390 saw. Apart from having to replace fuel pipe never gave any trouble. The Stihl HS81R hedge trimmer also trouble free. Bought a Stihl Kombi 131R a few years ago. has that 4-mix engine. It's the biggest heap of sh*t ever to come about the place.

Thanks for the replys all. I have heard that the stihls especially aren't quite all what they were. Husky are doing better but are apparently going down hill too, I'm sure a lot of this is probably due to issues with moderen fuel and having to meet ever stricter emissions requirements and fuel spillage regs. Allegedly mitox saws are a bit heavy and under powered but if before starting you check everything is done up properly they are pretty good supposedly. Efco and mitox seem to get mixed reviews with some saying they are fantastic others saying their rubbish.

Bought a stihl 029 farm boss brand new 22 years ago. It does a lot of cutting never gave any bother. Its bit on the heavy side for using all day but you get used to it. Have an 024 pro saw as well bought second hand a really nice light powerful saw.

Are Oleo Mac still on the go?. Both my grandfather and father had them and both saws were piles of shite.

Delaneys still sell Oleomac , as well as Husky.

They are selling Oleomac for possibly 40 years , hence why your father and grandfather both had them.

A crowd over in Portarlington also sell them . They could be the importers for them . Italian afaik.

Delaneys still sell Oleomac , as well as Husky.

They are selling Oleomac for possibly 40 years , hence why your father and grandfather both had them.

A crowd over in Portarlington also sell them . They could be the importers for them . Italian afaik.
I'm overdue a wander around Delaney's it seems. I knew they stock Husky's alright but not the others. Trouble with wandering around those kinds of shops is something catching your eye that costs a bit more then a loop the loop 😄

Husky have a battery saw that’s equivalent to a 40cc petrol. That’s great for us tree surgeons using top handled saws; but petrol quality is crap; and electronic saws are expensive to run.

Go battery if you can.
There’s a battery crowd making inroads in the 2 stroke territory. I’ll try find the name.

Husky have a battery saw that’s equivalent to a 40cc petrol. That’s great for us tree surgeons using top handled saws; but petrol quality is crap; and electronic saws are expensive to run.

Go battery if you can.
There’s a battery crowd making inroads in the 2 stroke territory. I’ll try find the name.
I have been looking into the battery stuff. It all seems pretty neat and no 2 stroke fumes or petrol to deal with is appealing but equivalent petrol kit is a awful lot cheaper at the minute so I think I'll be going with that with the amount I use it.

Whatever you do don’t buy any engine tool with Ryobi on the badge.

Made the mistake of buying a strimmer in a well known Co-Op a few years ago.
I should have smelled a rat when I asked the shop assistant about it and he said it was a 3 stroke.
The battery start caught my attention but I was having a stupid day.
Used twice and dumped it.

Whatever you do don’t buy any engine tool with Ryobi on the badge.

Made the mistake of buying a strimmer in a well known Co-Op a few years ago.
I should have smelled a rat when I asked the shop assistant about it and he said it was a 3 stroke.
The battery start caught my attention but I was having a stupid day.
Used twice and dumped it.
Second that. Leaf blower here, if you can get it going it runs grand but you won’t be able to use it for long because your arm will be hanging out if it’s socket you’ll have pulled it that many times to start the b**tard. Dropped it down to a local guy that’s good on stuff he took one look and said I’m not promising anything. Got it back after he went over it, it started the finest with him, it started the finest the next day and never could be started since

This girl has been here 20 years plus. Stihl 029 super. I dont know what the new ones are like. Ill never have to change this..
20201009_165336.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a stihl 029 farm boss brand new 22 years ago. It does a lot of cutting never gave any bother. Its bit on the heavy side for using all day but you get used to it. Have an 024 pro saw as well bought second hand a really nice light powerful saw.
I have an 029 as well, what a saw..

I have old saws, and I hear on the grape vine that the alloys used in modern saws, cannot take the same punishment of heat. Only tip I will give anyone with anything petrol, is make sure its not getting air on a leaky pipe, or leaky carb, etc; too much air can cause it to run lean, and with too much heat. Happened one of my saws, which I stupidly just kept using, thinking it was dodgy fuel.

Id highly recommend running aspen, especially if the saw is to be sat up, as it will reduce the nasty stuff in petrol, breaking down, pipes and plastic valves in carbs etc.

Stihl seem to have a good reputation. I'm in the market for a small chainsaw, what model would folks recommend? Say 14 inch bar.

Stihl seem to have a good reputation. I'm in the market for a small chainsaw, what model would folks recommend? Say 14 inch bar.

looking at the specs here I'd be liking the look of the ms211, bit more power than the 181 for the same weight.

We have a 180 and it's a great little saw, I choose it for cutting anything small.

However if I could stretch the budget a bit I'd love to get a go off one of these: https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produ...s/2102688-1583/MSA-220-Cordless-Chainsaw.aspx

Back