Husky vs stihl vs mitox vs efco chainsaw and combi pole saw/brush cutter.

guys, newbie alert here, please don't get mad
I hope it's appropriate to ask about trimmers here. So I have a situation: I've been using an old trimmer just to cut bushes and stuff and I knew it's not gonna last long but it eventually broke down this September. I don't remember what was the brand, so I started asking around my friends if someone can recommend a trimmer. Unfortunately, they dont trim themselves, they call a pro (lucky bastards). So then I started searching the web... And here is the point where everything became complicated. As long as I read, people recommend Echo. I found this trimmer comparison, but it leaves me with more questions than answers. I'd be glad if you help me out here, thanks

No one is going to go mad with any one asking questions .

I have an EFCO strimmers here since 1999 . It is 53 cc , so a big heavy strong strimmers . It hasn't ever given an ounce of bother . I would certainly buy another in a heart beat .

No one is going to go mad with any one asking questions .

I have an EFCO strimmers here since 1999 . It is 53 cc , so a big heavy strong strimmers . It hasn't ever given an ounce of bother . I would certainly buy another in a heart beat .
I have one here that did a lot of work, but a heavy and noisy machine, my brother will buy nothing other than Honda and when I started using them I can see why, so much nicer to use than the Efco.

looking for a saw for medium/heavy timber and was looking at either a sthil 500i or a sthil 462 any preferances??

Can anyone tell me if the combi units are as good as a stand alone long reach hedge trimmers? Main reason is for the extendable pole saw. I was looking at either stihl combi unit or Honda VersaTool. Thanks

I've not used a dedicated pole saw, but I'd imagine it should be lighter for a given length anyway without the joint in the middle.

been using my father's pro plus cheapo unit a lot recently and it's an absolute weapon for cleaning up a hedge. if you cant get a tractor to it.

our garden has a stone and sod boundary with old hedge on top, holly, whitethorn, ash, sycamore, really should be cut with a flail every year but that would make sh*te of the lawn and patio. the pole saw has put manners on it in an hour or two that would have taken days and days in the past.

I'm thinking of investing in a battery multi-tool next year, as it's something that would see a lot of use here.

Yeah I wouldn't really have the use for a dedicated pole saw but there is a good bit of laurel hedging around here that I would use the hedge trimmer for. But the pole saw would come in very handy for pruning over hanging branches around the fields and garden if I got the combi unit. Just don't want to regret buying a combi unit if the hedge trimmer is a far superior unit.

The pole saw sounds like a mighty job. Why are you opting for the battery unit?

Yeah I wouldn't really have the use for a dedicated pole saw but there is a good bit of laurel hedging around here that I would use the hedge trimmer for. But the pole saw would come in very handy for pruning over hanging branches around the fields and garden if I got the combi unit. Just don't want to regret buying a combi unit if the hedge trimmer is a far superior unit.

We’ve a tanaka split shaft and have the hedge trimmer, and a pole saw end for it as well as the standard cord/blade head. We bought a hand held hedge cutter unit this year as the pole mounted one is great but bloody heavy to use for any length, they both have their place though and if it was a case of one or the other I’d opt for the pole if there was any taller hedges to be done regularly.
As for the pole saw it’s grand light enough to use but I wish I’d also gotten the 1m extension piece to go in the middle, to get a lot of branches that hit tractor cabs you still need some extra height as most of the branches hang down from quite a bit up, standing on the ground you’d probably just about clear any ends off that are barely over the cab height if you get me but can be quite tricky if reaching straight up into them to get them to break and fold the right way that they don’t jam the bar at the last second.

It's a Stihl @gone ?
Worth buying quality long term.
Tanaka are good too I believe
Yes it is a Stihl, great saw, out of action at the moment, first major breakdown in about 18/9 years, the starter cord went the other day and I haven't tracked down a replacement yet.

We’ve a tanaka split shaft and have the hedge trimmer, and a pole saw end for it as well as the standard cord/blade head. We bought a hand held hedge cutter unit this year as the pole mounted one is great but bloody heavy to use for any length, they both have their place though and if it was a case of one or the other I’d opt for the pole if there was any taller hedges to be done regularly.
As for the pole saw it’s grand light enough to use but I wish I’d also gotten the 1m extension piece to go in the middle, to get a lot of branches that hit tractor cabs you still need some extra height as most of the branches hang down from quite a bit up, standing on the ground you’d probably just about clear any ends off that are barely over the cab height if you get me but can be quite tricky if reaching straight up into them to get them to break and fold the right way that they don’t jam the bar at the last second.
The pole saw sounds like a great job. How do you find the hedge trimmers? The Tanaka seems to be almost a kilo heavier than the Stihl.

The pole saw sounds like a great job. How do you find the hedge trimmers? The Tanaka seems to be almost a kilo heavier than the Stihl.

I have a Tanaka hedge trimmer for approx 5 years . Lovely tool , easy started , and never gave an ounce of trouble .

Something tells me that they aren't to be got anymore 😕.

Thinking about it. no hassle with fuel, starting, less noise etc. it's not like I'm going to ever be running a pole saw all day, they're a tool that generate a lot of cleanup in a short space of time so I think ideally suited to battery power.

I think a big petrol engined brushcutter with an oregon mulching blade coupled with a battery multi tool with string head and pole saw would be a nice combo for my needs.

Oregon mulching blade is another thing I reccomend to anyone with rough stuff to clean up, it's like a handheld flail.

Have had a few diff combo sets. Got the Stiga 5 in 1 last year. Brill piece of kit and much cheaper than stihl. Every bit as good but the stihl is going to be lighter

I've not used a dedicated pole saw, but I'd imagine it should be lighter for a given length anyway without the joint in the middle.

been using my father's pro plus cheapo unit a lot recently and it's an absolute weapon for cleaning up a hedge. if you cant get a tractor to it.

our garden has a stone and sod boundary with old hedge on top, holly, whitethorn, ash, sycamore, really should be cut with a flail every year but that would make sh*te of the lawn and patio. the pole saw has put manners on it in an hour or two that would have taken days and days in the past.

I'm thinking of investing in a battery multi-tool next year, as it's something that would see a lot of use here.
What make electric are you thinking of? Some sort of multi tool would be handy here. I was looking at a Hyundai branded multi tool in Woodies 40v I think , they didn't have any stock left only the display one, they had a procut 33cc multi too for €199, it looked ok for the price

Haven't dug into it much yet.

The stihl one is probably the best but massive money, could be a grand to get the unit, battery, charger and one attachment.

Ego seems to have a good name for its stuff but no idea if its only at a gardening level or not

We’ve the tanaka one on the end of a shaft and the sthil handheld one, both are great tools and both have there place, the pole type one might not cut quite as heavy stuff as the hand hels(engine direct on the blade type)

I do also use a split shaft stihl in work with hedge cutter, pole saw, cord head and blade and it is definitely a bigger beast than the tanaka we have, but it would want to be as it’s the top end km131 model. It takes a lot to stop it but you’d know you’ve worked it.

also tanaka are gone off the market from last year so anything available now would be old stock. Ours is probably 10-15 year old and just last year we wore out the splines on the drive shaft and clutch cup but had no problems getting the parts.

Thinking about it. no hassle with fuel, starting, less noise etc. it's not like I'm going to ever be running a pole saw all day, they're a tool that generate a lot of cleanup in a short space of time so I think ideally suited to battery power.

I think a big petrol engined brushcutter with an oregon mulching blade coupled with a battery multi tool with string head and pole saw would be a nice combo for my needs.

Oregon mulching blade is another thing I reccomend to anyone with rough stuff to clean up, it's like a handheld flail.
We bought a electric telescopic hedge trimmer last year, a sthil. Fantastic machine, I almost dread using the petrol strimmer, saw ect since getting it. No need for ear muffs or fuel, we went for the biggest battery and it has never come close to running out of juice in use yet. It was expensive though but money well spent.

I won't buy another petrol implement I don't think.

Picked up one of these last month https://www.atkins.ie/garden-machin...620hes-telescopic-power-pruner-eoppt--2620hes

I was going to go for a multi-tool with the extra extension but decided to go for this instead, it should be stronger hopefully. Did a bit of cutting with it today, great reach but it tired me out fast, I was mostly cutting out in front of me & not above me which would be harder work anyway. It's a good job though.

1632419535195.jpg

1632419563194.jpg

1632419587262.jpg

1632419601252.jpg

Picked up one of these last month https://www.atkins.ie/garden-machin...620hes-telescopic-power-pruner-eoppt--2620hes

I was going to go for a multi-tool with the extra extension but decided to go for this instead, it should be stronger hopefully. Did a bit of cutting with it today, great reach but it tired me out fast, I was mostly cutting out in front of me & not above me which would be harder work anyway. It's a good job though.

View attachment 97734

View attachment 97735

View attachment 97736

View attachment 97737
There are harnesses available with a hook that latch in front of the trigger, it is a big help if working for a good while

Yeah it came with a basic shoulder strap. I've got a proper Honda strimmer harness that I must try with it next time.

Bought these a few weeks back and I don't know what to say other than I'm impressed.

It's not a cheap setup, and it only comes with their entry level battery which was a concern. I've done a few jobs with it at home and for my parents and it's a great tool. negligible vibrations compared to petrol (I get numb hands easily from vibrating tools even with thick gloves). Neglible noise too and that noise is only when you're actually cutting, that's especially noticeable when using the saw as you spend a lot more time maneuvering than actually cutting.

Weight wise I can only compare it to my father's cheap pro-plus petrol kit, it's lighter, but not massively so. Because it's electric as opposed to petrol there's no exhaust you can hold it in ways you could never hold a petrol too. when doing high work you can walk with it pointing straight up in the air, strap over your shoulder and the motor resting against your leg.

In terms of power I've not found it lacking at all, I've cut branches up to 4 inches in diameter with ease. Runtime wise I've yet to time it but I've not had an issue with the battery life, I got a second battery thinking it would be an idea, but thus far I've not needed it, one battery creates more than enough mess to clean up while it's charging.

I'll update again in a few months as I've a lot of work needs doing, but so far I strongly reccomend.

Anyone had a Hyundai saw?

Cheap as chips.

My Johnsered has started leaking oil from the tank because it’s worn through,it’s done a serious amount of work over the years.

Back