Ideas for 20foot gateway

headcase

Very Senior Member
Currently got a 16ft gap thats getting widened. Going to 20ft but dont want 2x 10ft gates.dont want a 20ft gate swinging all day either

I have one here to do when I get around to it - will be 14 and 6 the 6 is only needed for combine and bale trailers,

I did this one last year. It’s a 16ft and a 6 or 8ft. Can’t remember. Not the safest road to be pulling in or out on so the 16ft is plenty big to get in with plough or sprayer and open the two and lift the Center post for combine or trailers. One swing and your in off the road

BAE7A7DE-2FE8-44E4-A239-1CEE7FF66F73.jpeg

Dad put 16 + 4. Everything bar the combine fits through the 16. Pull the centre post to get the combine through without removing the header.

Edit, The 16' was already there from having a 12' combine, just added the 4' when it got changed for a 16' cut.

Keep the 16ft gate for smaller stuff going in, and add on another small gate and make it bigger than 20ft, future proof it, there will be a day when you need to widen the 20ft gate

Have a gateway coming out onto a narrow road that used be 14ft but I widened it to 30ft with 2 15ft gates closing into a centre post. Even at that the bale trailer hasn't a lot to spare getting through it.

If width is not a problem go two 15fts, as Dieselpower has said coming off a main road here I've 28ft in two gates and a 21 ft bale trailer is just comfortable as the road is a bit narrow. Measure twice, widen once!
MF30

Will take a picture next time I am down on the farm (although I think I put a picture on here before). Where they have double gates rather than using a post they thumped in part of an ESB pole so it was flush with the ground and then drilled a hole in it. The shorter gate has a vertical hasp which locks into the wooden post hole and the longer gate then latches onto the shorter gate.

Keep the 16ft gate for smaller stuff going in, and add on another small gate and make it bigger than 20ft, future proof it, there will be a day when you need to widen the 20ft gate
No the robots are coming so we’ll be back to narrower widths!! In fact the 4ft will be handier for the robots

image-4f04c202151bd739806111c9d022f97a0930649a02af7084564d786e6e455dde-V_zpsoqmzhzne.jpg

Think I showed this one before, 24ft gateway off a narrow road, 14ft and 10ft gates.

Going to do similar in the next few weeks but 90% of the time you've a straight run at it. Going to make it 20ft using a 12ft and 8ft gates. Same principle as above.

If you don't want a centre post you may do what Profi suggests.
http://www.foxbros.ie/gates/14-double-field-gate.html

Like in the link.

A bi-fold gate you mean?

Build the first half and make it heavy. Have the hanging post in deep and up high to take the weight with extra support from a high up hinge on the post. Then use a lighter galv gate for the other half?
yes something like that:Thumbp2:im thinking
But id like custom middle pin to lock it
Not sure on that bit,be nice when they both open they are fixed straight
To uneven to have a wheel i the middle

Have a look at folding roof ladders, I was looking at one last week and there is a locking mechanism in the centre for when it is open out fully, it might give you an idea.

Could you make it even enough for a wheel at 4 foot then hinge off there and hang the 16 off it? A small arc of concrete to roll it on with a slight low spot and a pin to stop it moving

Back