IGAS inspection

Skimmer

We have an IGAS inspection this week, does anyone know how serious these thing are? I have all the records up to date for Fertiliser, chemicals, machinery maintenance etc. The only thing I do not have is a chemical store, which I am trying to sort out now (I only buy chemicals when I use them, and return the unused ones straight away). Any Ideas of where to get a suitable cabinet/chemical store in around the Wexford-ish area?

We have an IGAS inspection this week, does anyone know how serious these thing are? I have all the records up to date for Fertiliser, chemicals, machinery maintenance etc. The only thing I do not have is a chemical store, which I am trying to sort out now (I only buy chemicals when I use them, and return the unused ones straight away). Any Ideas of where to get a suitable cabinet/chemical store in around the Wexford-ish area?

You'll be fine if you have that much done. Local inspector anyway if you have who we had. Very complementary on the records, Dad was happy with that - the fecker didn't say tillage was my responsibility :lol::whistling:

Make sure and have no spray in the sprayer - we had some Roundup left in ours as we were in between spraying leys and stubbles and didn't really like that.

Our store is a home made job with a sump and all - a clear label is the most important for it.

The man who sells the barrels near the N25 might have a suitable cabinet - medicine cabinet came out of there.

It is 3 years though since we had our last one and considering we are nearly keeping half our own crops it is a bit of a farse IMV.

I have a steel lockable cabinet with an up and over door if you want it, would be around 4' x 1' x 1'. I can get pic and proper measurements later if your interested.

I have a steel lockable cabinet with an up and over door if you want it, would be around 4' x 1' x 1'. I can get pic and proper measurements later if your interested.

The problem with that is as far as I can see is that you won't fit a 20l drum of Roundup or MCPA in it.

Our cabinet is about 4ft x 4ft x 2.5ft. :thumbup1:

The problem with that is as far as I can see is that you won't fit a 20l drum of Roundup or MCPA in it.

Our cabinet is about 4ft x 4ft x 2.5ft. :thumbup1:

True but it might useful for the smaller drums. I have bigger cabinets too :thumbup1:

We have one coming up too, Just be sure all pcs numbers on spray cans, rat/rabbit poison are correctly registered as rogue pcs numbers have been entered on some cans and farmers have had 5% sfp deduction, its just its something that one would never think of, a friend got stung yet the supplier didnt:ban:
I think baiting points need to be numbered too now, after that vermin/bird proof sheds and methods of aeration are looked at afaik.

We need a tillage section!!

We have one coming up too, Just be sure all pcs numbers on spray cans, rat/rabbit poison are correctly registered as rogue pcs numbers have been entered on some cans and farmers have had 5% sfp deduction, its just its something that one would never think of, a friend got stung yet the supplier didnt:ban:
I think baiting points need to be numbered too now, after that vermin/bird proof sheds and methods of aeration are looked at afaik.

We need a tillage section!!

I agree, hence my yes vote!!!

One thing we are sailing close to the wind on it writing up the records in the books itself, i have it all on excel with pcs no.s and dates so will have to see if a print out will suffice:confused1:

One thing we are sailing close to the wind on it writing up the records in the books itself, i have it all on excel with pcs no.s and dates so will have to see if a print out will suffice:confused1:

I use the teagasc e-crop programme myself, but as I am doing a farming course in kildalton, part of the course was filling in the IGAS book, which I have completed for the first time ever luckily this year. I find the excel e-crop programme a lot more efficient, as you can copy and paste like-treated fields etc.

If you don't store grain on your farm then the inspection will be simple enough, for a chemical store an old chest feezer with a lock put on it or in a locked shed would pass. A bucket of sand beside it and a fire extinguisher will get you extra bownie points

Its only a grain assurance inspection .The SFP inspection is tougher . Have a designated measuring for chemicals not a dual purpose for livestock as well

old chest freezer with a padlock on it:whistling::whistling:

Cheers lads, I'm sure I'll find something suitable around the place to do for a cabinet!!

I got this old galvanised water tank today for €20. Not too bad I though. Bought the hinges and the lock kit (€15) and put a lid on it. Also made up a grid to put mesh over so the spray containers are up 2" off the bottom. Gave her a good spray of the old Zinc primer then. All I need to do is put the "Chemical store" sticker on her in the morning!!:thumbup:

Attachments

• 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 003 (Large).jpg
    003 (Large).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 011 (Large).jpg
    011 (Large).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 013 (Large).jpg
    013 (Large).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
  • 015 (Large).jpg
    015 (Large).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 33
I got this old galvanised water tank today for €20. Not too bad I though. Bought the hinges and the lock kit (€15) and put a lid on it. Also made up a grid to put mesh over so the spray containers are up 2" off the bottom. Gave her a good spray of the old Zinc primer then. All I need to do is put the "Chemical store" sticker on her in the morning!!:thumbup:
sorted:thumbup:

So did she give you the all clear :thumbup1:

Yeah, no bother at all.
I keep the e-crop spreadsheets up to date religously, as if I didn't I would forget.
Also had a fire extinguisher, bucket of sand, spill absorbant material, first-aid kit and eyewash in the store room. Sprayer was all-cleared before putting away, so all was clear:laugh::thumbup:

Yeah, no bother at all.
I keep the e-crop spreadsheets up to date religously, as if I didn't I would forget.
Also had a fire extinguisher, bucket of sand, spill absorbant material, first-aid kit and eyewash in the store room. Sprayer was all-cleared before putting away, so all was clear:laugh::thumbup:

Happy days so :thumbup1:

Just got a text from the Grain Assurance crowd this morning, have the rates gone up or something? Nearly 90 euro plus VAT and before it was closer to 80.

Just got a text from the Grain Assurance crowd this morning, have the rates gone up or something? Nearly 90 euro plus VAT and before it was closer to 80.
Got the same text this morning and had the same thoughts as you. It really pisses me off paying it as as far as I can see there is no real benefit and all they seem to be checking is covered under cross compliance. Of course I don’t really have a choice because the coop won’t buy my grain without it!

Got the same text this morning and had the same thoughts as you. It really pisses me off paying it as as far as I can see there is no real benefit and all they seem to be checking is covered under cross compliance. Of course I don’t really have a choice because the coop won’t buy my grain without it!

Totally agree, there are several rants about Bord Bia inspections on here but at least there is a benefit to those and still a lot of mills are importing stuff of dubious quality.

Back