I'm Looking For...

But the PTO covers all come from the same place?? I think the Bare Co covers are a good job and a lot of the bits are interchangeable, I don't think they're mad money either.
Ya I usually get as much parts off the Mchale dealer as a neighbour works there and it’s a handy way of getting bits home, had to go else where for tractor mud Gaurds also, I think the massey genuine mud Gaurds (plastic bit) were a couple of hundred Euro and the spurious ones were a fraction of the cost, also beacon poles note for anyone buying a beacon pole a genuine massey beacon pole (just the hollow steel piping) is 180 Euro, a spurious one is about 30 Euro.
ya a few have mentioned to me about them covers I must look into them thanks.

Ya I usually get as much parts off the Mchale dealer as a neighbour works there and it’s a handy way of getting bits home, had to go else where for tractor mud Gaurds also, I think the massey genuine mud Gaurds (plastic bit) were a couple of hundred Euro and the spurious ones were a fraction of the cost, also beacon poles note for anyone buying a beacon pole a genuine massey beacon pole (just the hollow steel piping) is 180 Euro, a spurious one is about 30 Euro.
ya a few have mentioned to me about them covers I must look into them thanks.
You'd want to get busier with the hedgecutter :whistle:

Have you guards on the hedgecutting tractor(s)? Have you a few of them?
Ah no that was only a joke, only broke 3 windows ever and they were all from mowing. Only own one hedge cutter, usually it has a cage but it was on a different tractor this year than the one it’s normally on so the old cage wouldn’t fit, used it this year without cage but should have a cage now for next September, although I find the little squares wreck my head

Ah no that was only a joke, only broke 3 windows ever and they were all from mowing. Only own one hedge cutter, usually it has a cage but it was on a different tractor this year than the one it’s normally on so the old cage wouldn’t fit, used it this year without cage but should have a cage now for next September, although I find the little squares wreck my head
I wouldn't have a clue, the last hedgecutter I drove was a PA93 on a Ford 6700 back in the last century. It had a cage though, that fell off at regular intervals.

I wouldn't have a clue, the last hedgecutter I drove was a PA93 on a Ford 6700 back in the last century. It had a cage though, that fell off at regular intervals.
Dad had a pa93 as well a good machine, have a spearhead here now bought it new in 2018 it’s okay but I don’t think mcconnell are anything special either, if I got a full time job teaching I’d let the main driver take over hedge cutting and slurry himself, I wouldn’t be sorry either

Dad had a pa93 as well a good machine, have a spearhead here now bought it new in 2018 it’s okay but I don’t think mcconnell are anything special either, if I got a full time job teaching I’d let the main driver take over hedge cutting and slurry himself, I wouldn’t be sorry either
I'm the main driver here, it's what I make my living out of. Is your father deceased? Or retired?

I'm the main driver here, it's what I make my living out of. Is your father deceased? Or retired?
He’s semi retired, on hire he does all the grassland spraying hire work and a bit of hedge cutting in the winter and then the rest of the year he lives in the teleporter and no-one else is aloud near that under any circumstances 😂 but that’s all he likes to do along with his own farming, his love of hire work and machinery is long gone I can’t blame him either it’s a tough life as you well know.

He’s semi retired, on hire he does all the grassland spraying hire work and a bit of hedge cutting in the winter and then the rest of the year he lives in the teleporter and no-one else is aloud near that under any circumstances 😂 but that’s all he likes to do along with his own farming, his love of hire work and machinery is long gone I can’t blame him either it’s a tough life as you well know.
It's not simple to be sure. How long are you at it yourself?

Looking at things from afar, there's some contrast between the lifestyle of a teacher and that of an agri contractor.
Well it’s a pensionable job and it’s easier get a mortgage if you were a full time teacher than an agri contractor. I can always stay at the baling and that too if I was teaching full time, even if I had to cut down on customers. At the moment I’m only the spailpín fánach of teachers anyway, all the full time jobs are in Dublin and I’d rather stay covered in slurry all spring than go up there

Looking at things from afar, there's some contrast between the lifestyle of a teacher and that of an agri contractor.
Was a honours maths teacher in our local school up to a few years ago( could be 10 , I had graduated 😊) who was a baling contractor in mayo. R R was his name.it was hoped he would take principles job here but obviously it made more sense back in mayo where got a principle job.knew him to see but I hear he had a substantial baling business during holiday season at that time

I wonder where I would get a cheap pto cover for the fusion 2? 200 plus vat for just the back piece I’m getting priced at the minute, don’t want to spent too much on it I’ll be definitely shifting it the end of this year
Genfitt in mayo be worth a try I'd say

Well it’s a pensionable job and it’s easier get a mortgage if you were a full time teacher than an agri contractor. I can always stay at the baling and that too if I was teaching full time, even if I had to cut down on customers. At the moment I’m only the spailpín fánach of teachers anyway, all the full time jobs are in Dublin and I’d rather stay covered in slurry all spring than go up there
Mrs MF30 is a primary school teacher and has 3 level 9 masters qualifications but is as happy dosing cattle, its not all fun dealing with people sometimes.

Mrs MF30 is a primary school teacher and has 3 level 9 masters qualifications but is as happy dosing cattle, its not all fun dealing with people sometimes.
Oh that’s it like I always thought I’d be farming/contracting full time my whole life but as time went on and all my friends where going off on holidays and to festivals etc I decided maybe it would be better to not fully rely on hire work either, that and the rising cost of machinery, diesel, lack of labour and good lot of my customers getting older with no-one to take over made me think having a backup might be no harm. My girlfriend is a posh townie from Kildare she’s a marketing manager for a clothing company, she doesn’t know a whole pile about farming or contracting other than “masseys have the worst passenger seat ever”

Oh that’s it like I always thought I’d be farming/contracting full time my whole life but as time went on and all my friends where going off on holidays and to festivals etc I decided maybe it would be better to not fully rely on hire work either, that and the rising cost of machinery, diesel, lack of labour and good lot of my customers getting older with no-one to take over made me think having a backup might be no harm. My girlfriend is a posh townie from Kildare she’s a marketing manager for a clothing company, she doesn’t know a whole pile about farming or contracting other than “masseys have the worst passenger seat ever”
Is the teaching well paid enough to keep you at it while you employ a man full time for the winter and spring full time? Would you be as well off financially to be full time at the contracting? I have a man 5 days of the week at home farming while I am working off farm. The problem is that I still have an awful lot to do when I come home in the evening, and that is no slight on the man I have employed, he is a good man to have and he isn't costing the sun moon and stars either. I often wonder would I be as well off at home full time myself.

To be very honest now it’s hard answer that because I’m not teaching as an actual job really if you get me, I have no permanent contract any work I get is someone else’s hours whether they are out sick, pregnant etc, if I got a full time job I’d be able answer that better. The lad that’s there all the time was there when dad was fully in charge when I was in college etc he’s been at 75% of all the slurry himself the last 10 years and he’s very good, all the customers love to see him coming as he seldom leaves and track in the heavy ground around here. That’s why I was saying if I got full time employment I’d like to get out of slurry and see if he would take over that side of things altogether with his own machinery. God forbid anything happens the father though or there would have to be serious changes, I’d have to either fully leave the teaching or get out of hedge cutting and spraying on hire and probably employ someone else full time

Back