I'm Looking For...

To be very honest now it’s hard answer that because I’m not teaching as an actual job really if you get me, I have no permanent contract any work I get is someone else’s hours whether they are out sick, pregnant etc, if I got a full time job I’d be able answer that better. The lad that’s there all the time was there when dad was fully in charge when I was in college etc he’s been at 75% of all the slurry himself the last 10 years and he’s very good, all the customers love to see him coming as he seldom leaves and track in the heavy ground around here. That’s why I was saying if I got full time employment I’d like to get out of slurry and see if he would take over that side of things altogether with his own machinery. God forbid anything happens the father though or there would have to be serious changes, I’d have to either fully leave the teaching or get out of hedge cutting and spraying on hire and probably employ someone else full time
I was always told that the slurry was the one job that every contractor agreed was their cash cow at otherwise quiet times of the year, I'd be slow to give it up! Similar to me in that I inherited my man from my own father's time and I have to say I get on well with him and sure ideally things will remain as they were. Financially, it is always good to question what we are doing I think as farming / contracting isn't going to become more profitable going forward.

yes it is definitely very important to question what we are doing always, the slurry is my least profitable enterprise and the slurry machinery is getting old now, so it could be a make or break in the next few years, in saying that I'll probably get a mad notion some year and buy 2 new tankers and an agitator and be married to slurry for another 15 years :cowboy:

yes it is definitely very important to question what we are doing always, the slurry is my least profitable enterprise and the slurry machinery is getting old now, so it could be a make or break in the next few years, in saying that I'll probably get a mad notion some year and buy 2 new tankers and an agitator and be married to slurry for another 15 years :cowboy:
I would have thought that tanking was one of the better earners, but in fairness, the way ye charge per load up there is nuts.

Youll need a trailing shoe next and they aint cheap.

Is the teaching well paid enough to keep you at it while you employ a man full time for the winter and spring full time? Would you be as well off financially to be full time at the contracting? I have a man 5 days of the week at home farming while I am working off farm. The problem is that I still have an awful lot to do when I come home in the evening, and that is no slight on the man I have employed, he is a good man to have and he isn't costing the sun moon and stars either. I often wonder would I be as well off at home full time myself.

A good few of my friends are in a similar position. Working 40 hours off farm a week and then facing into the same when they land home fairly quickly wears thin. Its leading to a couple of them thinking of dairy farming for the constant income.

A good few of my friends are in a similar position. Working 40 hours off farm a week and then facing into the same when they land home fairly quickly wears thin. Its leading to a couple of them thinking of dairy farming for the constant income.
Packing in the day job and going full time farming? what type of farming are these lad at now Peter?

I know where there is/was one. I think it's missing a top cover. I can find out if he still has it. is it standard or live drive you need. another place you could try is courtmacsherry machinery. they had good few being scrapped about 15 years ago.
Preferably one with the live drive. Might give courtmacsherry a shout, i must see does John Conaty have one but I don't think I seen any last time I was roaming around there last week, I'm inquiring on behalf of a friend who's after making a 6 cylinder major but with just a standard diesel major backend with no live drive so he's mad to get a super major back end for it with the live drive.

Preferably one with the live drive. Might give courtmacsherry a shout, i must see does John Conaty have one but I don't think I seen any last time I was roaming around there last week, I'm inquiring on behalf of a friend who's after making a 6 cylinder major but with just a standard diesel major backend with no live drive so he's mad to get a super major back end for it with the live drive.

Most 6 cylinder Major conversions use the standard single clutch . Stronger than a double clutch .

Most 6 cylinder Major conversions use the standard single clutch . Stronger than a double clutch .
I must tell him that. Im surprised hes not on here. I think he wants to put it on a muckspreader and haybob so the dual clutch would be handy for him for that but then I suppose the strength in the single clutch. He has a 6 cylinder nuffield 10/60 already which is Shockin nice job, I think it has a 2 stage clutch. There's a picture of it on the wall behind the counter in conatys.

I'm looking for a complete Ford super q back window frame preferably with glass, willing to travel.
Just said I'd see if anyone on here had one they wanted rid of before I ring round the breakers

Back