Impact wrench opinions

Had a de col (I think) gun for years and it was very good but when it packed it in I went Milwaukee and it’s savage . We are dewault with grinder and grease gun but the grease gun couldn’t grease under pressure so changed to Milwaukee and it will grease with a lot more force.

I have the DeWalt driver and grinder here,very happy with them,they were a good bit cheaper than the price of Milwaukee now though maybe DeWalt went up since.dewalt have a broad range of tools for different trades,I have their long reach and standard in hedge trimmers for example and like them.
For lighter impact work,the Screw gun works perfect with an adapter for sockets and its light and handy to use

Thanks, does that actually seem more expensive than buying the kit Drew mentioned and adding the bare grinder unjt in at €135 +vat after?

Bigger impact wrench, 1898nm torque, daglawn has picture of the two on page 3. I gave 480 plus vat for the big gun, you get the tool box with that set that fits the two which is handy as well
It’s the bigger gun so it’s probably coming out at better value really, I did look at that one too but it’s overkill for what I wanted really, when I see the size comparison I’m glad enough I went the way I did, the compact is big enough and heavy enough if you were carrying it around doing bits and pieces really. It’s not like we are changing wheels every day so shouldn’t need that much bang all the time

Bigger impact wrench, 1898nm torque, daglawn has picture of the two on page 3. I gave 480 plus vat for the big gun, you get the tool box with that set that fits the two which is handy as well
Realistically what could you open with the half inch socket, could a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor be used safely and go up to 40mm for tractor wheel nuts?

It’s the bigger gun so it’s probably coming out at better value really, I did look at that one too but it’s overkill for what I wanted really, when I see the size comparison I’m glad enough I went the way I did, the compact is big enough and heavy enough if you were carrying it around doing bits and pieces really. It’s not like we are changing wheels every day so shouldn’t need that much bang all the time
What it the biggest nut or most difficult task that you hope it to do?

What it the biggest nut or most difficult task that you hope it to do?
Mostly just general work at anything and everything really, but probably the toughest I’ll ask of it is changing the back wheels on the tractor for row crops, only 27mm nuts and being honest I don’t mind if I have to crack them with a bar as it’s a twice a year job here and the bit that takes time is winding them in and out, but as I said they were plenty tight putting them on with it the other day.

I was actually just looking at the back wheel on the Deere in work and there’s a sticker that states the tightening force required is only 500nm so that gun should manage it no problem.

Realistically what could you open with the half inch socket, could a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor be used safely and go up to 40mm for tractor wheel nuts?
I bought it because I couldn’t open a power harrow time bolt for the life of me even with a scaffolding pipe on a long bar, it took a few belts but it loosened it no bother. A friend of mine is a plant fitter and he highly recommended it and didn’t recommend the 3/4 Milwaukee at all so that’s why I went with it. I have taken off tractor wheel nuts with it no issue. It is heavy and a bit awkward for small stuff I want to buy one of the stubby impacts for handy stuff

Good video on the different impacts

I have that draper rattle gun and its only ok. We bought it as a kit with a drill and grinder. We have them in the van to whip off wheel nuts after they are loosened first, cut a lock etc. they are cheap and would not be the end of the world if they were robbed from the van. We have all Milwaukee stuff in the workshop and it would be 10 times better than the draper you get what you pay for.

Had a de col (I think) gun for years and it was very good but when it packed it in I went Milwaukee and it’s savage . We are dewault with grinder and grease gun but the grease gun couldn’t grease under pressure so changed to Milwaukee and it will grease with a lot more force.
Was it an Ingersoll - Rand by any chance ?

I went a bit mad the other day and opted for this, https://www.toolfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18fmtiw2f12-502x-compact-1_2-impact-wrench-2x5ah/4933478450

I’ve 18v hitachi/hikoki drill and grinder but the 18v hikoki impact is fairly lacking in nm compared to most other makes 18v ones, and I wanted a smaller handier impact than the likes of the 36v one as most of what it’ll be doing is more so replacing the hand ratchet but at the same time when spending money on one I wanted it to be well capable too…

All I can say is it packs some punch for the size of it. changed the wheels on the tractor the other day, gave it a few Ugga Duggas and then tried them with a 5ft 3/4” bar and without hanging off it I wasn’t going to be getting it any tighter.
Did you manage to find a promotional code when you were buying it, any discount off €700 would be a help...

My strong 1/2 Hitachi impact wrench was eating sockets, if doing heavy work like tractor or trailer wheels then you need a 3/4" and if you are doing a lot of heavy work 1" is need.
1,000 Nm is 40,000 Newtons at 1/2"

Impact grade sockets or silver ones?
Impact grade, the 1/2" impact sockets are not up to heavy work at or above 1,000Nm.
index.php

My strong 1/2 Hitachi impact wrench was eating sockets, if doing heavy work like tractor or trailer wheels then you need a 3/4" and if you are doing a lot of heavy work 1" is need.
1,000 Nm is 40,000 Newtons at 1/2"
It would be rare I’d need it for tractor wheel nuts, I have a 1 inch windy gun in the workshop for hardship. The odd time in the field it would be handy to avail of the 3/4 socket set though.

No, just started to round the corners of the 1/2" socket. They were poorish quality impact sockets, but even high end name brand sockets will not last long on heavy work.
Speaking of brands what impact sockets do people recommend ?

I bought this 3/4" socket set on @Arthur advise a couple of year ago, so far so good.
They also do 1/2" sets
Not really top end, but reasonable quality at a reasonable price.
3/4 set is out of stock, other wise I would buy both. Good value.

I have a set of one of the cheaper brands here, short reach, and they are the finest

I bought this 3/4" socket set on @Arthur advise a couple of year ago, so far so good.
They also do 1/2" sets
Not really top end, but reasonable quality at a reasonable price.
I just bought the 1/2" set, I'm going to have to stop looking in here!

Having said that if anyone has spotted a decent auto welding mask, not going to get much use, left in shed for months etc let me know, thanks.

Back