Impact wrench opinions

Gonna pick up an impact gun, don’t know if I have the cash to pick up a Milwaukee as they are pricey

these dewalts 899’s Are getting good reviews, I know it’s body only on screw fix but a good price,

anybody here have one ..?

Gonna pick up an impact gun, don’t know if I have the cash to pick up a Milwaukee as they are pricey

these dewalts 899’s Are getting good reviews, I know it’s body only on screw fix but a good price,

Depends what you want it to do, it looks fine for general work & I think 1,00Nm is more than enough to be putting through a 1/2" socket, but not up to taking off tractor or trailer wheels.
Really need 3/4" & 1100/1200Nm of reverse force for heavy work.
I have this one and never use the 1" airgun anymore.
I just happened to start with Hitachi years ago and see no point in changing, but starting afresh I would be going Milwaukee, they just have a better range and availability.

Last edited:

I have one, it does everything I've asked of it (which isn't much), opened the rear studs on the tractor last week, 32mm (3/4") socket and 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, with the price of batteries you will probably stick with dewalt once you start!

Yeah sorry forgot to add will be only using it up to a 32mm impact so only mid range work really

I don’t take the wheels off my yoke or switch them around so don’t think I can justify the big beasts but that 3/4 Hikoki looks tempting

I have one, it does everything I've asked of it (which isn't much), opened the rear studs on the tractor last week, 32mm (3/4") socket and 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, with the price of batteries you will probably stick with dewalt once you start!
Yeah have dewalt stuff here and have a few generic batteries which I find every bit as good as dewalts own brand but at nearly half there price

Glad to hear it’s a good bit of kit, I won’t be using it every week etc which makes it hard to justify spending a lot, will prob get more use on the car and jeep lugs that on the farm machinery 👍

Last edited:
I’ve one as well, I find it good, have other dewalt tools, it’s always in the tractor during the summer, my mower has nuts and bolts holding the flails the dewalt has them off in a shot and no need to jam a disc.

Depends what you want it to do, it looks fine for general work & I think 1,00Nm is more than enough to be putting through a 1/2" socket, but not up to taking off tractor or trailer wheels.
I just happened to start with Hitachi years ago and see no point in changing, but starting afresh I would be going Milwaukee, they just have a better range and availability.

If I was buying into a platform right now I'd be seriously looking at the makita 40v. the 18v lithium platforms have been around a long time, I don't know how much longer they'll keep adding to them. Dewalt have had their flex batteries for a few years now, makita have gone 40v after dipping their toes with a few 2x18v tools, I think it's only a matter of time before milwaukee do similar. I dont think now is the time to be staring to buy into a platform that's on the go since 2008

If I was buying into a platform right now I'd be seriously looking at the makita 40v. the 18v lithium platforms have been around a long time, I don't know how much longer they'll keep adding to them. Dewalt have had their flex batteries for a few years now, makita have gone 40v after dipping their toes with a few 2x18v tools, I think it's only a matter of time before milwaukee do similar. I dont think now is the time to be staring to buy into a platform that's on the go since 2008
Interesting point I never considered, must do a bit of research on it 👍

Do Makita do a cordless grease gun, one of the brothers has Makita cordless tools and gets on ok with, but I would find my Hitachi/Hikoki better than his Makita, but I really don't know enough about them to compare, Milwaukee have just launched a 8Ah & 12Ah M18V batteries, so don't see them changing away from V18 for a while. Makita wouldn't be where I would move, but doctor differ and all that.

Last edited:
They're definitely not giving up on 18V yet, but there's only so far they can go with it either, the technology is advancing but at some point you can't bate physics and the more power they want from 18 volts means amps keep going up, which means heat goes up and battery life goes down.

Unless there is some leapfrog battery tech beyond lithium ion then the only way to keep upping the power is to up the voltage, it's a question of when not if. Their range and the capability of that range is undeniable, but I just think they're going to have to move forward at some stage. Maybe they go like dewalt with the flex volt where the battery pack is wired two ways and a higher voltage tool can switch to use the higher voltage, but something's gonna have to give for them pretty soon I think.

Makita don't have a 40v grease gun yet but the range is only new, gonna take some time to catch up with their 18v stuff.

We bought a dewalt impact gun recently, i can’t remember the model, it was the biggest half inch drive available, brought it home, went to take shares of the plough, it wasn’t able to loosen the nuts, they had been put on with either an air gun or Milwaukee impact wrench.
Brought it back and bought Milwaukee instead, very happy with it, nothing wrong with dewalt tools, that gun just wasn’t powerful enough for our job.
We bought a grinder, grease gun and impact wrench, from memory Milwaukee was about €100 more on the deal.

They're definitely not giving up on 18V yet, but there's only so far they can go with it either, the technology is advancing but at some point you can't bate physics and the more power they want from 18 volts means amps keep going up, which means heat goes up and battery life goes down.

Unless there is some leapfrog battery tech beyond lithium ion then the only way to keep upping the power is to up the voltage, it's a question of when not if. Their range and the capability of that range is undeniable, but I just think they're going to have to move forward at some stage. Maybe they go like dewalt with the flex volt where the battery pack is wired two ways and a higher voltage tool can switch to use the higher voltage, but something's gonna have to give for them pretty soon I think.

Makita don't have a 40v grease gun yet but the range is only new, gonna take some time to catch up with their 18v stuff.
Hitachi/Hikoki are doing something similar, they moving to 36V, all the 36V batteries work on the older 18v tools, but the 18V batteries will not run a 36V tool, but batteries tend to die before the tools, with me anyway.

I went with the makita 18v system recently. The main reason was my brother in law has got very good service out of that makita range over the years. Ave on youtube also seemed to rate them as one of the best tools for longevity. I use the tools regularly but not day in day out.

I went a bit mad the other day and opted for this, https://www.toolfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18fmtiw2f12-502x-compact-1_2-impact-wrench-2x5ah/4933478450

I’ve 18v hitachi/hikoki drill and grinder but the 18v hikoki impact is fairly lacking in nm compared to most other makes 18v ones, and I wanted a smaller handier impact than the likes of the 36v one as most of what it’ll be doing is more so replacing the hand ratchet but at the same time when spending money on one I wanted it to be well capable too…

All I can say is it packs some punch for the size of it. changed the wheels on the tractor the other day, gave it a few Ugga Duggas and then tried them with a 5ft 3/4” bar and without hanging off it I wasn’t going to be getting it any tighter.

Great tools them hitatchi/hikokis. Have one of their grinders here this 18 years and it can't be killed. Recently bought 2 new hikoki grinders and a drill set, can't fault them. I can see myself invesing in one of their impact guns fairly soon now, would be Shocking handy in tight spaces over the pull bar.

Do Makita do a cordless grease gun, one of the brothers has Makita cordless tools and gets on ok with, but I would find my Hitachi/Hikoki better than his Makita, but I really don't know enough about them to compare, Milwaukee have just launched a 8Ah & 12Ah M18V batteries, so don't see them changing away from V18 for a while. Makita wouldn't be where I would move, but doctor differ and all that.
They certainly doo. A bit big and cumbersome but certainly a big improvement over the other option of a standard gun.

Have the big 1/2 Milwaukee impact here the last year, hasn’t been bet yet, animal to go but is heavy is the only downside

I have one about two years now. Very solid piece of kit. The three power settings give it a bit of finesse and on setting 3 I haven’t found it wanting loosening wheel nuts on tractors or trailers. I run it on a flex volt 54v 9 amp battery for extra oompf, but for medium level work I’d say it will do everything you want on a 5 amp 18v xr battery.

I went a bit mad the other day and opted for this, https://www.toolfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18fmtiw2f12-502x-compact-1_2-impact-wrench-2x5ah/4933478450

I’ve 18v hitachi/hikoki drill and grinder but the 18v hikoki impact is fairly lacking in nm compared to most other makes 18v ones, and I wanted a smaller handier impact than the likes of the 36v one as most of what it’ll be doing is more so replacing the hand ratchet but at the same time when spending money on one I wanted it to be well capable too…

All I can say is it packs some punch for the size of it. changed the wheels on the tractor the other day, gave it a few Ugga Duggas and then tried them with a 5ft 3/4” bar and without hanging off it I wasn’t going to be getting it any tighter.
Was there any reason you picked Milwaukee over other brands? Was thinking of sending Santa a list with the impact wrench and a small grinder but can’t see them listed as a pair or offered together. Bought separately comes to around €600 inc vat from that website.

Was there any reason you picked Milwaukee over other brands? Was thinking of sending Santa a list with the impact wrench and a small grinder but can’t see them listed as a pair or offered together. Bought separately comes to around €600 inc vat from that website
I think it was coming out with strongest punch for size was a lot of it, I was also considering the dewalt one but went red in the end. Friend has one and it would have gotten a lot of use, it did need to be looked at once but it was in use 6/7 days a week and was sticking it well so always had me looking that way. I was on to him about it and he said he’s not sure but there are a few rumours of the one key ones not lasting quite as well but mine isn’t a one key job anyways. Time will tell, but it won’t be overly worked here in all honesty.

Part of the reason I decided to hell with it I’m getting one is the day recently when dad had a blow out on the trailer on the side of the road, they couldn’t get the bolts out until by chance a lad swung in and had the gun with him and it was job done then in a matter of minutes. Atleast now if going with cattle it’s easy enough fire that and the jack into the jeep and hopefully not having to use it but knowing if it’s needed your not gona be bet

Oh and it seems that’s a pairing that rarely appears together (grinder and impact) for some reason. I guess they think that lads are either one type of job or the other :unsure:

Back