Importing UK machinery post brexit

I dont think so, the 'Protocol' means that NI follows EU vat rules
Ok, seems you are right. I didn’t have a full grasp of that.

the man who gave me an example of how it was going to work was a tractor trader buying fresh tractors on mainland UK, so i assume he was saying he will have to charge VAT on uk sourced tractors to ROI customers, but reading the above he wouldn’t have to charge it on NI original tractors. That’ll get messy.

it does make NI a ‘Backdoor’ of sorts for trade in both directions.

Ok, seems you are right. I didn’t have a full grasp of that.

the man who gave me an example of how it was going to work was a tractor trader buying fresh tractors on mainland UK, so i assume he was saying he will have to charge VAT on uk sourced tractors to ROI customers, but reading the above he wouldn’t have to charge it on NI original tractors. That’ll get messy.

it does make NI a ‘Backdoor’ of sorts for trade in both directions.
I would have thought once the mainland UK tractor has gone through the 'import' process to NI, it can (or have to be even) then be sold to the South under Eu Rules

I would have thought once the mainland UK tractor has gone through the 'import' process to NI, it can (or have to be even) then be sold to the South under Eu Rules
I’m not so sure reading the above where it refers to ‘Complex Rules’
Then again, there is no guarantee that said complex rules are actually enforced.

I had a northern haulier here yesterday with fertiliser and he was telling me he is drawing straw into the North from England as a back load so that beats all if straw can come across but if there's dust underneath a tractor it can't, or can machinery importers in the North bring in equipment as usual

I had a northern haulier here yesterday with fertiliser and he was telling me he is drawing straw into the North from England as a back load so that beats all if straw can come across but if there's dust underneath a tractor it can't, or can machinery importers in the North bring in equipment as usual
It's that carry on that makes deep cleaning machinery a complete joke.

I would say machinery can be brought into NI from the UK as normal.

Is there any problems at all bringing down machinery from Northern Ireland? Lets say you bought a mower and wanted to bring it down?

And from ni to the south as normal. Job sorted
Maybe I'm reading too much into that but if you're meaning is get it to the North and then down here there's a bit more to it than simply that in the case of vehicles at least. Anything registered before 1/1/2021 in NI it is simply import here as was always, anything registered after that date will require proof that it was properly imported i.e. customs declaration.

so is the deep cleaning a new thing or has it always been going on . in the past if you had imported a mustang from the USofA would they have insisted on it being deep cleaned or would they just let it slip ?
I know Oz and NZ are very strict on importing used Ag machinery and I'd imagine America + Canada would be fussy too so machinery dealers in the UK would probably have some experience of this but I'd imagine what would go to those countries would be a drop in the ocean in comparison to Ireland let alone the rest of the EU.

This bit is surely just the EU being awkward for awkward sake. Things were ok last year without being phytosanitary and nothing has changed in the UK from a health and hygiene point of view.

Standard concept with third countries. I don't think the EU standards are even particularly stringent. Supposedly NZ/Aus are the toughest in this regard.

so is the deep cleaning a new thing or has it always been going on . in the past if you had imported a mustang from the USofA would they have insisted on it being deep cleaned or would they just let it slip ?

It would be different for farm machinery as it could carry invasive species etc. I'd imagine any of the people importing tractors from the states though would have similar requirements.

Interesting article from the financial times here.

Essentially Boris wanted sovereignty above all else. On things like this you have to agree to some form of regulatory alignment, if you won't align regulations then things need to be checked.

It still makes zero sense to me that the UK did not request an extension to the transition agreement as soon as the deal was agreed. I can understand from a negotiation perspective how you wouldn't ask for one before the deal was agreed as it would allow negotiations to drag on forever. But most businesses couldn't afford to prepare for unknown scenarios that might arise from any given deal so they did very little preparations. even three months of an extension would have smoothed a lot of this over and surely 3 more months wouldn't have made any material difference to British sovereignty

It would be different for farm machinery as it could carry invasive species etc. I'd imagine any of the people importing tractors from the states though would have similar requirements.
they would. dad had shipped machines to my uncle in canada a few times over the years. they had to be cleaned here. and into the container they went. and when they reached either stateside or US/canada border, container opened and cleaned again to "make sure"

Anything that the us army brings home from abroad has to be taken apart and cleaned. 100 days to clean a armoured vehicle before headin back to the us.
That would be fun.

This bit is surely just the EU being awkward for awkward sake. Things were ok last year without being phytosanitary and nothing has changed in the UK from a health and hygiene point of view.
Nothing has changed yet, but as the UK is now a 3rd country it's things they could change with their standards going forward that could be the issue so it has to be from the date of brexit, can't just say work away doing business as normal for now and we will keep an eye out to see if ye drop standards lads. In the last year you see the likes of Pat Timmins tractors advertising more tractors from the continent, they must have been building more contacts in mainland Europe to help guarantee a supply of tractors going forward.

I was in Oz and NZ in 2012 and I recall there were seriously stringent rules regarding soil on boots coming into Australia. New Zealand was even more stringent. They have serious safeguards against invasive species plants etc.

I was in Oz and NZ in 2012 and I recall there were seriously stringent rules regarding soil on boots coming into Australia. New Zealand was even more stringent. They have serious safeguards against invasive species plants etc.
Went to NZ for honeymoon in 2010..was handed the customs landing card on the plane to fill out and hand in on arrival.

On landing there was a customs guy standing reading the boarding cards at the entrance to the airport building.. He'd read the card and send everyone down a que on the LHS of the room.
Me and the missus get to him and he reads our cards and sends us down the RHS of the room.. We're going wtf.. Why were we singled out.. No one else was sent this way..

Walk straight to the customs guy at the scanners and he straight up says your landing card says you've been on a farm in this past three days, what sort of farm was you on, have you any work clothes/boots with you..

Tell him the craic that no nothing with us etc, we'll aware of your policies so knew what not to bring.

Scanned our bags and on we went.. All through about 5mins max from getting of the plane..

The LHS que was still as long as the room when we were leaving the arrivals area so was a bit of a result for us.

BTW NZ is well worth a trip should anyone feel the need to get away post lockdown!

Went to NZ for honeymoon in 2010..was handed the customs landing card on the plane to fill out and hand in on arrival.

On landing there was a customs guy standing reading the boarding cards at the entrance to the airport building.. He'd read the card and send everyone down a que on the LHS of the room.
Me and the missus get to him and he reads our cards and sends us down the RHS of the room.. We're going wtf.. Why were we singled out.. No one else was sent this way..

Walk straight to the customs guy at the scanners and he straight up says your landing card says you've been on a farm in this past three days, what sort of farm was you on, have you any work clothes/boots with you..

Tell him the craic that no nothing with us etc, we'll aware of your policies so knew what not to bring.

Scanned our bags and on we went.. All through about 5mins max from getting of the plane..

The LHS que was still as long as the room when we were leaving the arrivals area so was a bit of a result for us.

BTW NZ is well worth a trip should anyone feel the need to get away post lockdown!
Always told don’t tell them you’ve been near a farm when going to Nz,my brother said they had his shoes off when he went.🤣

Had an interesting question today.

What happens when a non vat reg’d customer tries to buy a tractor in the UK? Do they have to pay VAT at UK rate, then pay it again to revenue?

or will units destined for export in the UK all be 0% VAT?

Lads I have a pallet of sh tractor weights in the uk that I need to get home what is the best way of doing it and what do I need paperwork wise

So the uk government will lose the vat amount on the item been exported, won’t this be a big loss of revenue to the uk government? Did the brexiters realise this would happen????
They are only loosing the vat on sales to non registered people as previously it was zero vat anyway if buyer was registered. On the flip side they will charge vat at import so I suspect it will balance out.

my understanding is it won’t be simple to use ni as a Backdoor as machines going to ni will need clean cert and vat paid. If buyer is vat registered in ni they then claim it back as part of normal vat return. Not sure if there is a stipulation on how long they need to hold it for before forward selling but it doesn’t really save anything. If they sell to an roi customer that is registered then it’s zero vat but from a cash flow point of view the vat has to be paid on the machine coming out of uk and then reclaimed. This was a big benefit for Irish registered buyers previously as they didn’t need to pay the vat and wait to reclaim it.

surprised to hear straw was coming into ni from uk as I had heard it wasn’t possible to get it in.

Back