Importing vehicle from Japan to Ireland

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
As per the title, has anyone ever done it? What's involved?

Any recommendations for auction websites to use?

As per the title, has anyone ever done it? What's involved?

Any recommendations for auction websites to use?
Is there not problems insuring JAP imports as they can be expensive to repair due to scarcity of parts this side of the world.

Loads of lads at it, jdm auction watch are meant to be v good. Vrt and nox has made stuff coming in very expensive, if the vehicle isn’t on the vrt calculator they will pull lotto numbers.

Didnt top gear bring in some from Japan last year and the cost of getting them to this side of the world took the good out of it?

What are you looking at?

Im thinking a Nissan Skyline, Tokyo drift style
Mazda RX7
Top tip for a future classic, I had one in a past life..
European spec, right hand drive, sold new in the UK in 1994, I gave £8k for it.
Not too many of the left now.
It would be worth JD7810 money today.
Probably not the car for @candor with small children.

Mazda RX7
Top tip for a future classic, I had one in a past life..
European spec, right hand drive, sold new in the UK in 1994, I gave £8k for it.
Not too many of the left now.
It would be worth JD7810 money today.
Probably not the car for @candor with small children.
Which would you prefer though, the RX or the Deere....?!

@candor, I remember reading somewhere about lads up north who were buying in cars from japan, through some importers in the UK. The car was a E39, bmw 540i m sport, gorgeous car, that’s what caught my attention, seemed well serviced and maintained, the boot looked wrong with the square number plate, though the boot could be changed to a European one.

Euro auctions used to fetch a lot of diggers in,my 1st sumitomo was an import via euro.

Might be worth talking to them and see if they can fit one in a container.

I'm thinking of importing a Suzuki carry, like the one @bruceythom has.

I'm afraid the little ones would do a lot of damage to a rx7, given what I have seen of their driving on a little Scooby car...
I’ll be honest my expectations were up there with @Cork.
I’m a bit disappointed.

West End motors in Mullingar would be worth a look.

I’m a bit disappointed.

Off topic but in terms of maaaaachines, a friend bought one of my dream machines the other day.
171 530d, white with black alloys & M-pack. 22k miles. Approx €37k from a BMW dealer.

I’m a bit disappointed.

There's a few things to splurge on before I have a mid life crisis :laugh:

I must give them a call and see what they have, I know they do a trade in them.

id imagine its not too difficult , afterall , jeeps and cars have been imported for decades from Japan , time was some garages sold only jap imports

Off topic but in terms of maaaaachines, a friend bought one of my dream machines the other day.
171 530d, white with black alloys & M-pack. 22k miles. Approx €37k from a BMW dealer.
Not bad value, what’s the road tax. Mines a 182 520d Mediterranean blue (I think the best colour) m sport. But a 530 would be the right job.

Not bad value, what’s the road tax. Mines a 182 520d Mediterranean blue (I think the best colour) m sport. But a 530 would be the right job.
I think it’s about €270. Much lower than I expected. How’s your 520 been for you? Gorgeous car, I remember when you got it.

I think it’s about €270. Much lower than I expected. How’s your 520 been for you? Gorgeous car, I remember when you got it.
The tax on mine is 270 as well... very happy with it, it’s been faultless. The car was one of BMW’s own company cars so she well loaded they sell them after 6/8 months. VRT was higher than I expected or what was on revenues calculator, my local vrt office looked at the car took a heap of pictures did up a written description and sent everything to roslare to be evaluated manually. All high value car’s under 12 months are done like this, anyway I think I paid 600/700 more than I expected.

Back