Information and Experiences of a Harvest Abroad

Half thinking of going to NZ at silage for the winter. Ideally I'd like to go for 3/4 months and be back in January before calving kicks off, is this possible? What way is the working week over there is it more structured or are you working all hours if there is rain coming? Would there be much time for sight seeing/ looking around the place?

Half thinking of going to NZ at silage for the winter. Ideally I'd like to go for 3/4 months and be back in January before calving kicks off, is this possible? What way is the working week over there is it more structured or are you working all hours if there is rain coming? Would there be much time for sight seeing/ looking around the place?
Can't comment on the silage side but my preference would be Dairy farm do 6 on 2 off or something like that least you know when parlour is turned off your away till the next day, but maybe you want a break from milking? Went out with a few lads years ago some went contracting and regretted it thought it would be a handy number.

I went the australia route, based in Melbourne (dairy)/perth (tillage). Look up ecucha region. Get a truck licence (rigid) before you head out. As it will increase opportunities.

In Perth the harvest season finishes up before Christmas.

Was out myself last back end with 3 others went out at end of october and home at start of january .. was nearly more a holiday than pure work kinda just worked with a contractor and when the contractor was quiet I went with a dairy farmer… didnt overly enjoy either contractor was rough machines and rough land and the weather was broken which didnt help either and then the cows it was mainly only milking that time of year got very boring putting 900 cows through a 50unit rotary.. id definitely recommend going for the holiday side of things and to see it alll but dont think its all that its cracked up to be… you asking about leaving for january though yeah alot of lads would do that january would be quieter for all the contractors only heading to baling straw/moving straw really … nagle contracting in methven worth a shout savage gear and a full crew of irish lads and working in a nice area… but as said above australia is the place to be for wages and the craic

Just while im in this thread thought this would be fitting, I went out to Texas,America last april for a few months, went out by myself to 30 other irish lads working aswell , company is KB custom , when lads in Ireland think of silage in America everyone thinks of Robinsons , for comparison Robinsons have 5 harvesters i think , KB have 40 mostly 990s and mostly less than 3 seasons old.. most of us had no experience driving a harvester before going out but no hassle they trained us up and let us on … wheat was done from april-july bit of break then and then into the corn/maize from august onto november .. was a savage experience , unreal to see the farms , going in to jobs of 1000s of acres, into fields of 500acres, compeltely different level of scale.. great craic too when there was such a crew of us some of them gone back this year.. definitely recommended to anyone young

Attachments

• F8F89B8E-4A03-4BB1-8CF8-919B562C7339.jpeg
    F8F89B8E-4A03-4BB1-8CF8-919B562C7339.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 3CD16D2C-6EF6-43D5-B1E2-BE3D9E841979.jpeg
    3CD16D2C-6EF6-43D5-B1E2-BE3D9E841979.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 89
Just while im in this thread thought this would be fitting, I went out to Texas,America last april for a few months, went out by myself to 30 other irish lads working aswell , company is KB custom , when lads in Ireland think of silage in America everyone thinks of Robinsons , for comparison Robinsons have 5 harvesters i think , KB have 40 mostly 990s and mostly less than 3 seasons old.. most of us had no experience driving a harvester before going out but no hassle they trained us up and let us on … wheat was done from april-july bit of break then and then into the corn/maize from august onto november .. was a savage experience , unreal to see the farms , going in to jobs of 1000s of acres, into fields of 500acres, compeltely different level of scale.. great craic too when there was such a crew of us some of them gone back this year.. definitely recommended to anyone young
Have you more photos

The lad that runs some part of that show is a local lad

lad that milks for me is with schiltz harvesting at the moment, surprised the size of the gear there let drive ,he's only 20 and never sat in a truck till 2 months ago and yet hauling grain on the roads, all case equipment going by the videos and 380hp tractors with chasers drawing to the trucks.its a great experience for any young lad

Just while im in this thread thought this would be fitting, I went out to Texas,America last april for a few months, went out by myself to 30 other irish lads working aswell , company is KB custom , when lads in Ireland think of silage in America everyone thinks of Robinsons , for comparison Robinsons have 5 harvesters i think , KB have 40 mostly 990s and mostly less than 3 seasons old.. most of us had no experience driving a harvester before going out but no hassle they trained us up and let us on … wheat was done from april-july bit of break then and then into the corn/maize from august onto november .. was a savage experience , unreal to see the farms , going in to jobs of 1000s of acres, into fields of 500acres, compeltely different level of scale.. great craic too when there was such a crew of us some of them gone back this year.. definitely recommended to anyone young’s
A fella I used work with Is gone to KB this year. How did you get in contact/setup ur trip? I’m 20 years old myself, would love to go do it

Back