Information and Experiences of a Harvest Abroad

Guys does anyone know if it's possible to work on a farm in the states and bring the family? I have a little lad and would need proper accommodation for him.
I've worked on farms in Australia before but the Visa now would cost alot to try that with the family again.
I'd try anywhere possibly Europe, N, Zealand, or America. Just interested in trying a harvest season again if possible. I know it would be easier if I was traveling by myself. Has anyone ever tried anything like this before?

A mate of mine asked me if i knew anyone looking to go to nz this season so i said id put it up here if anyone is intrested drop me a message

When does the harvest start in America and how long does it last?
Middish April or certainly late April the silaging lads would be starting to cut a bit in the most southern states. Wholecrop was a busy time when I did it all the way back in '03. Unbelievable almost when you consider in this part of the world we would generally only be sowing a crop while in the U.S their gearing up for wholecrop.

I would love to take a break from the cows. Out of interest what age were you when you did the harvests in America declan304?

I would love to take a break from the cows. Out of interest what age were you when you did the harvests in America declan304?

I know a man who has spent a few summers there recently and would be 40-45. Said the money makes it worth his while and would be on the continent in a truck otherwise so wouldn’t be around too much either way

I went out first at 18 to work on a farm then 3 harvests. Often met lads in there 30s at it for d first time

Is there a bit of money to be made doing the harvests and how long would you be at it for?

Theres money to be made but easy to spend it aswell. Most lads are done early to mid November depending on what crops they do in fall harvest and what way weather is aswell

Theres money to be made but easy to spend it aswell. Most lads are done early to mid November depending on what crops they do in fall harvest and what way weather is aswell
I did the wheat harvest in Australia way back in 02 and worked on a 10,000 acre cotton farm full time, taking home about 2k dollars a week most exp paid for (I had to buy my own cigarettes) v long hours. Def worth doing it for experience.

Thinking about heading to Australia for the harvest over the coming months. Any jobs I saw online are with recruitment agencies looking for you to register your c.v. etc. Does anyone here have a few contacts over there that might point me in the right direction?
TIA

October to end of December i believe
Lots of different crops to harvest over there, if u went now you can get the cane harvest in Queensland, cotton starts around Feb March time, or the cotton sowing starts in early September. I went through a agency didn't look til I landed. It's back in 01 I went so can't remember the agency name but lots of them out there, if ur a good driver and can do what ur told you'll get on v well. Heard a few stories of Lads working for contrator and being looked after pretty bad, if u go through a agency it's more than likely the agency will be able to tell u the good jobs from the bad jobs. I spent a while looking for a job with good accommodation long hours and good pay.

I see in Canada company’s pay to put you through the truck license is it possible to transfer back to an Irish one then

Thinking about heading to Australia for the harvest over the coming months. Any jobs I saw online are with recruitment agencies looking for you to register your c.v. etc. Does anyone here have a few contacts over there that might point me in the right direction?
TIA
Don't go combining.
I say this all the time.
Go for sugar cane, cotton or bananas.

There's a chance to drive things you'll never drive at home. In crops you'll never see grown at home. And they're desprate for good drivers.

Don't go combining.
I say this all the time.
Go for sugar cane, cotton or bananas.

There's a chance to drive things you'll never drive at home. In crops you'll never see grown at home. And they're desprate for good drivers.
I remember chatting to combine drivers over there we we're waiting for trucks I was on a chaser, they were telling me they got paid per machine working hour not actually the hours they worked. I got paid to sleep in my tractor while I was waiting.

Reactions: AYF
Back