IRFU Player protection.

Do the IRFU and Leinster Rugby have any responsibility to protect players who want to go above and beyond, regularly putting themselves in grave danger?
This is not a new issue with Johnny Sexton, George Hook has been calling on him to retire or vastly change the way he plays for years.
George Hook has been calling for rugby to be abolished for years and said 7s would be the new world game since its entry into the Olympics was announced.
World rugby needs to do what the NFL did, they will have to clearly state that the game is dangerous, can result in possible life changing injury and or death, so that future players know the risk they are taking(like as if they didn't know already but legally there needs to be clarification).
It is a dangerous game. There have been improvements to certain aspects of the game.
The one point if difference though that I don't see a complete resolution to is the amount of game time rugby players endure compared to say their American football cousins. Pro14 is a 20 plus game season, European champions cup championship is 6 or 8 games, international rugby for 6 nations countries is 11 tests, so that's about 38 games, and the premiership in England and top 14 have even more games.
American football has like 18 games I think plus playoffs?
So how do we reduce the amount of games rugby players play without destroying the quality of the rugby for viewers and the club owners and competition accosiates? That's the answer to this problem.

there's a few ways i can think of. either A) reduce the amount of teams in the leagues/competitions. less teams means less games but you would be left with the conundrum of which should be left out and all that. B) reduce the amount of leagues/competitions being played. again left with the same issue of which leagues should be cut out and all that. and C) change some of the competitions to either elimination or double elimination (if teams lose in the lets say the last 32, they have 2nd chance so to speak and face the other losers to go and play against the losers of the next bracket and so on).

I assume ye read this?

The man can't remember winning the world cup.

When sport becomes business, athletes become consumables.
Yea but there is also the fact that it's not just consigned to rugby or sport is it? Early onset dementia happens to all sorts of people. It probably is a factor but he could be susceptible to getting it.
So much is said about these cases yet look at all the articulate players from the same team even.
He could have never played rugby still got it and no-one would've said anything.

Is there anything you won't whatabout?

Ok so you chances of having early dementia go from 1 in 9500, to 11 in 150, that's from the general population to being a professional rugby player.
Definitely an increased risk factor. My question is if rugby is the cause then every player should get it, there does seem to be people who are more susceptible than others to it.
I think it's important to figure that out so you can warn people against playing if the are vulnerable to it.

there does seem to be people who are more susceptible than others to it.
I think it's important to figure that out so you can warn people against playing if the are vulnerable to it.

This was my original point, it is clear, and has been for years, that Johnny Sexton is putting himself in more than his fair share of harms way. I never heard of a No. 10 that gets so many head injures, he needs protecting from his own lack of self preservation.

Ok so you chances of having early dementia go from 1 in 9500, to 11 in 150, that's from the general population to being a professional rugby player.
Definitely an increased risk factor. My question is if rugby is the cause then every player should get it, there does seem to be people who are more susceptible than others to it.

The probability of getting it going from 1 in 9500 to 1 in 136 (at least) doesnt sound like great odds for

He could have never played rugby still got it

Reactions: Paw
This was my original point, it is clear, and has been for years, that Johnny Sexton is putting himself in more than his fair share of harms way. I never heard of a No. 10 that gets so many head injures, he needs protecting from his own lack of self preservation.
I agree, it's sad at this stage seeing him being knocked out so regularly notwithstanding the obvious damage he is enduring. The French doctor that stood him down in 2014 didn't do it for no reason

The probability of getting it going from 1 in 9500 to 1 in 136 (at least) doesnt sound like great odds for
Not very good at all, getting close to 100 times more likely for a rugby player to be affected than the general population.

Sexton ruled out for Sunday's game, Billy Burns to start at outhalf. Murray out also James Ryan

Last edited:
Sexton ruled out for Sunday's game, Billy Burns to start at outhalf. Murray out also James Ryan
We're in trouble, I think france will win it or lose it so to speak. We havent the firepower to outplayed them. The weather might help of course, lump it up in the air and hope for the best

Back