Is a trailing shoe good enough???

Ó hÉidin

as above.

is a trailing shoe system on a tanker good enough??? if you were going to that expense, surely it would be more effective to go the whole hog and plump for a shallow injection system . . . ??

comments welcomed . . .

I have no experiance of either but i have allways been led to belive trailing shoe is the best ??

trailing shoe is the way to go you dont want to b putting the slurry in to deep it breaks down better when its on the surface . if you go with a disc , its harder to pull , more wear . in the summer your cutting turf open which allows it to dry out which will leave big lines in your field

Xerion has some good things to say about trailing shoe. When I spoke to him a couple of years ago he recommended them for light land work as there is less risk of die back which you would get with a disc on land that would drought easily.

Spoke to a contractor in Northern Ireland a few years back that liked the disc injector as it helped aerate the soil at the same time and they found with surface application you could get a scum builing up just below the sward.

Spoke to a contractor in Northern Ireland a few years back that liked the disc injector as it helped aerate the soil at the same time and they found with surface application you could get a scum builing up just below the sward.

well from an agronomical perspective, the slurry still only getting as far as the surface, if the only saving is loss of nitrogen to the atmosphere, it would have to be a substantial % to make it worthwhile. hence my original question . . .

Greenmount would probably be the best place to try and find some info on the different systems.

Merv

took these pics in the spring of last year . farmers tower developed a leak:001_rolleyes: and he was desperate to empty it but it was a week before his cows were due to go out . in the end we put it onto a silage field . you wouldn't have done this with a splash plate as the grass was to long and if you had gone in with a disc you would have risked pulling up stones , as well as problems with grass getting wrapped round the disc's . also iv heard that with the neat little slits the disc's cut on a slope there is a tendency for the slurry to run the hill in them

Attachments

• injector1 [800x600].jpg
    injector1 [800x600].jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
  • injector2 [800x600].jpg
    injector2 [800x600].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22
  • injector3 [800x600].jpg
    injector3 [800x600].jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • injector 4 [800x600].jpg
    injector 4 [800x600].jpg