is beef farming worth it anymore ?

There own units wouldnt be profitable at prices paid to farmers but they can do it as they are making enough out of processing them and it allows them to keep the price of other cattle low.

The whole thing stinks.

What a crock of sh1te, on one hand they say we should be adopting Teagasc technologies, yet they fail to give what Teagasc say is the minimum needed to make a profit, times like this make me glad that I am not an intensive producer, Ive done profit monitor for a few years and have produced more profit than anybody in the group yet the advice is to generate more output by getting more intensive, if everyone was more extensive and the factories were looking desperately for supply we would see the real value of beef being paid to farmers, my product is purely grass produced but I get no premium for that despite the fact that it is supposed to be a superior product at least from a health point of view, instead it is paid the same as something pumped up with GM maize, that is a failure of Bord Bia to get proper return to the farmer from the market for the product. as in the Carrolls ham thread there is probably little if any difference in what the producer gets for the different grades of ham.

Theres a lot of talk of the factory price riseing after Christmas,what are ye lads plans if the price stays low or even falls lower ?

Theres a lot of talk of the factory price riseing after Christmas,what are ye lads plans if the price stays low or even falls lower ?

Cattle supplies will dry up shortly , the 30 month cattle will start running out shortly as there are very few born in June July . A lot of cattle have being killed younger , that really means they are gone out of the system , this wet weather will push out the last of the grass cattle , the kill should drop back to 25k /week , you will see the price difference with the UK close to €150 , so beef can go up by €200 /hd quiet quickly.

Hard to know whats going to happen but I very much doubt we'll see this magic 4.20 a kilo I hear been spouted about at the marts lately. Personally I think 4 euro will be about it give or take. Factories are firmly in control of the trade and a drop in the numbers will simply translate in to a 3 day week before any worthwhile price rise happens.

Hard to know whats going to happen but I very much doubt we'll see this magic 4.20 a kilo I hear been spouted about at the marts lately. Personally I think 4 euro will be about it give or take. Factories are firmly in control of the trade and a drop in the numbers will simply translate in to a 3 day week before any worthwhile price rise happens.

4.20 :eek::eek:

A load of codswallop.

4 by early February and for that will need a miracle as well.

With this weather grass cattle will soon finish and we have seen very little movement over the past month.

Of course, the factories probably have feedlot cattle out there too.

Sold some hex bullocks last week ave 585kgs sold at €2.36 a kg so at @4.20 a kg in the factories at the moment obviously somebody sees money in beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold some hex bullocks last week ave 585kgs sold at €2.36 a kg so at @4.20 a kg in the factories at the moment obviously somebody sees money in beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make that an avg of €1380/ head, nearly the same as factory price ..585kg @ 55% killout = 321.75 kg @ €4.20 =€1351, add a Hereford bonus and there's not much difference. Remember if a factory agent bought them they also have the proceeds of the so called fifth quarter.

I make that an avg of €1380/ head, nearly the same as factory price ..585kg @ 55% killout = 321.75 kg @ €4.20 =€1351, add a Hereford bonus and there's not much difference. Remember if a factory agent bought them they also have the proceeds of the so called fifth quarter.

you lads up the country must have great herefords that killout 55%. As a buyer I would work of only 50% for the native breeds

So 585@50% circa 300kgs they would be all out. All the talk is 4.15 around at the moment, natives usually kill base or under or the bonus brings them back to base I find so 4.15 to 4.20 would be there final price. kill price of 1250 after deductions less mart fees and haulage just shows how wrong marts are at the moment. Mart buyer (if not a factory feedlot buyer) is more than likely buying credit only, which is a very shaky position for the industry to be in.

Im taking an average animal so maybe OP were very good Herefords and worth the extra money. I wouldn't like the headache of having herefords around costing 2.40 landed in the yard all fees paid.

No way would those breeds die that well, I've seen a limo heifer die at 50%.
Lads are expecting beef to hit 450 to 470 and it ain't going to happen, I wouldn't be too worried about lads that buy cattle in the spring for summer grazing, it rarely pays that well, just keeps money together and tax in order.

you lads up the country must have great herefords that killout 55%. As a buyer I would work of only 50% for the native breeds

So 585@50% circa 300kgs they would be all out. All the talk is 4.15 around at the moment, natives usually kill base or under or the bonus brings them back to base I find so 4.15 to 4.20 would be there final price. kill price of 1250 after deductions less mart fees and haulage and the get out price would be down around 1220

I killed a he bullock two weeks ago. He was a r =4 =. Got 435 including qa.

He was 26 months out of a hol cross bf cow and killed 392 kgs and made a shake along with 1700.

He was a good one though , o grade would catch a lot of them.

No way would those breeds die that well, I've seen a limo heifer die at 50%.
Lads are expecting beef to hit 450 to 470 and it ain't going to happen, I wouldn't be too worried about lads that buy cattle in the spring for summer grazing, it rarely pays that well, just keeps money together and tax in order.

Yip most of them on the pension or have a good job and just want something handy to eat the grass.

I killed a he bullock two weeks ago. He was a r =4 =. Got 435 including qa.

He was 26 months out of a hol cross bf cow and killed 392 kgs and made a shake along with 1700.

He was a good one though , o grade would catch a lot of them.

how many herefords kill in the R range, less that 33% I would think.

you have a fair big whitehead bullock to kill 392 kgs. bugger must have being 750 live :thumb up:

your lad would be best case scenario, I have learned to never expect best case scenario when buying animals. Any cattle bought since the turn of the year and being killed now are blowing money big style. Sure this better craic that having to give it to the taxman at the back end of the year. Killed 3 AA earlier in the week and couldn't get over how poor they killed. I didn't comment when pulling them out of the pens that the buggers didn't do well at all. Cost 1160 and were 550 kgs in January. Killed 1260 @ 288kgs. You wouldn't want too many of there types around the yard.

So 585@50% circa 300kgs they would be all out. All the talk is 4.15 around at the moment, natives usually kill base or under or the bonus brings them back to base I find so 4.15 to 4.20 would be there final price. kill price of 1250 after deductions less mart fees and haulage just shows how wrong marts are at the moment. Mart buyer (if not a factory feedlot buyer) is more than likely buying credit only, which is a very shaky position for the industry to be in.

Im taking an average animal so maybe OP were very good Herefords and worth the extra money. I wouldn't like the headache of having herefords around costing 2.40 landed in the yard all fees paid.

Be interesting to know who buys the bulk of these 600kg ish herefords, are they summer grazers or factory agents that need the numbers to satisfy a contract with the supermarkets. Personally I have always thought the prices paid for herefords whatever age are too high.

Back