Is it all just fear? - Winter feed thread

Meal seems to be a bit poor quality wise this year aswell, suppose its no suprise really.

the only meal to buy is dairy spec because if its not up to spec the milk will be back and it won't be a happy dairy men.

They can skimp on other meals because it won't be noticed as much

Jees, there is some shite meal in stores alright, chaff and beards aint good feed!! Not fairing out too bad here with feed. Been on a couple of other farms the last couple of weeks and I dont know what they're going to do. The grass situation aint anything to brag about here though, wont be an early spring on this farm. Got a few loads of slurry out yesterday, onto the driest field we have, pity we dont have more of them!!! Was good to relieve the storage pressure, but would rather leave the slurry spreading until growth kicks off or just before it.

Id be more worried about next winter for us, we'll have to make all the right moves to get enough feed. There are a few fields tore up from reclaimation work and havent been able to finish the work needed on them yet.

Are Kerry Co-op buying silage and paying for transport for their suppliers and deducting it from this years milk cheques?????

I did hear something but I wasn't really listening. I guess it will suit some who are in an awful way. Some stories are frightening and they would be glad of the service.

heard of a lad that spent nearly 2 weeks on the road looking at silage for sale , he has over 20 k spent on buying silage so far , hes locked up with tb for the last 2 years and numbers are ment to have gone through the roof

Are Kerry Co-op buying silage and paying for transport for their suppliers and deducting it from this years milk cheques?????

No but they will lend 'soft' money for suppliers to buy feed. I did it in '09 and will have to do it again this year from the start of next month. You can rollover the sums borrowed too but they will want to see it gone in 3 years, mostly.

Kerry are a shower of Bs mostly but in times like these they can be life savers:crying:

No but they will lend 'soft' money for suppliers to buy feed. I did it in '09 and will have to do it again this year from the start of next month. You can rollover the sums borrowed too but they will want to see it gone in 3 years, mostly.

Kerry are a shower of Bs mostly but in times like these they can be life savers:crying:

sounds a nice little system, no wonder suppliers cant get too high and mighty about milk price when they offer nice little extras in times of crisis. Presume normal interest rates apply?

i bet not, Finding this year a pain in the ass waiting for feed to turn up. there are 4 main ingredients in the stock diets and some weeks Im down to only having 2 to work with. it a bloody pain

Was in the co-op on Saturday.

Nearly all the feed bays were empty - unreal demand on feed at the moment.

Will say they are a lot cheaper than the co-op that was in the news recently....

Was in the co-op on Saturday.

Nearly all the feed bays were empty - unreal demand on feed at the moment.

Will say they are a lot cheaper than the co-op that was in the news recently....

nash a.i man was here yesterday and he told me that the big rumour down your way is a very well known family were putting in planning for a 3,000 cow dairy unit ,these guy,s have never milked and chinese backing is being mentioned it sounds like the biggest load of bull i,ve heard in a long time but he says it,s all the talk in every yard he goes into:001_unsure:

nash a.i man was here yesterday and he told me that the big rumour down your way is a very well known family were putting in planning for a 3,000 cow dairy unit ,these guy,s have never milked and chinese backing is being mentioned it sounds like the biggest load of bull i,ve heard in a long time but he says it,s all the talk in every yard he goes into:001_unsure:

heard it a couple of weeks ago but it was 2000 cows and no chinese mentioned.Probably a rumour but if anyone were to do it, they would.

Processing aswell? or just supplying wexford or glanbia

I have a few bales of 2011 silage to sell how much is it worth or would I be better off waiting till march . We sprayed all the wheat and all the oats on Friday and the ground was not wet at all .

I have a few bales of 2011 silage to sell how much is it worth or would I be better off waiting till march . We sprayed all the wheat and all the oats on Friday and the ground was not wet at all .

I take it your username is a fabrication :whistling:

Processing aswell? or just supplying wexford or glanbia

don,t know would presume supply only, application to planning office has gone in allegedly but its all only hearsay at the moment ,nash would have a highly placed source though so he may know more

don,t know would presume supply only, application to planning office has gone in allegedly but its all only hearsay at the moment ,nash would have a highly placed source though so he may know more

Would I???

I'm racking my brains but if it is a recently purchased block of land, some rumours going around...

EDIT: just looked back, you said never milked - will have to put my thinking cap on!!

what does the online planning show? Some Chinese lads must be after making a fortune in Wongs Chinese takeaway in Gorey, if they are bankrolling this

Would I???

I'm racking my brains but if it is a recently purchased block of land, some rumours going around...

EDIT: just looked back, you said never milked - will have to put my thinking cap on!!

VERY well known family,not in your parish but your neighbour may have to get a milking apron:scared::scared:

what does the online planning show? Some Chinese lads must be after making a fortune in Wongs Chinese takeaway in Gorey, if they are bankrolling this

might be only a cover for a gigantic grow house,all the boys down that side are on weed anyway:yes:

Nothing up at all.

might be only a cover for a gigantic grow house,all the boys down that side are on weed anyway:yes:

Don't mention anything about - most profitable restaurant in the area in the past few months:thumbdown:

be an indoor setup at those numbers wouldnt it.

Hard to see my 50 girls competeing with that.:sweatdrop:

Any one have a number for the chinese I may expand:whistling:

would the same chinese fellows be behind the building of the chinese business hub in Athlone :lol::lol:, f**k, irish fools would believe anything

be an indoor setup at those numbers wouldnt it.

Hard to see my 50 girls competeing with that.:sweatdrop:

Any one have a number for the chinese I may expand:whistling:

From a margin point of view, I'd argue it might be hard for the full indoor system to compete with a low cost spring system of 50cows that go out and eat for themselves, especially if the price of diesel keeps going the way its heading.

(maybe I'm wrong though ha, anyone able to tell me what the extra cent/litre cost of full zerograzing is?)

Back