It takes balls......

Buck that has a few cattle and is still youngish used to be round the yard on and on. Another forum member will know who ,
But the lad is sound himself but wouldnt be getting the best guidance at home.father would be well noted for been tight.
Anyways the buck asked me for a dosing gun as they were going to dose but as I had done a few at drying off a few days earlier and the gun barrell cracked and broke.would have given it to him otherwise, but I said to him its broke and I'd have to get another ...
" ah no bother , il get one in the store and put it down to you and drop it out to you later " ......i replied i didn't like the make he was selling and I'd get a different make.
Just thought it a bit mean , if I had it i give it but not under his idea.
That takes it to a whole new level.

We got a call from a farmer earlier this week. Claimed to have bought a 20 month heifer from a dealer that was purchased from us last February. He claims that she had a dead calf about 10 days ago and wants €500 in compensation to cover vet bill (€260) and the rest to cover the loss that he would have on her.

The old man was cool as a cucumber and asked why the vet bill was so high and was told that vet had to take the calf and come back a second time to administer antibiotics. So he said to the caller that we have a policy of taking back a heifer that's in calf and that we would be willing to pay him what he wants for his loss and pay his vet fees - just forward us on the vet bill. We will collect the heifer.

We have been having calls from this lad all week now. First he doesn't want to get his vet involved. Now he wants to keep the heifer and will settle for €300. My old man has been insistent that we will pay the vet. Today he told him that he won't part with any money until we see the vet bill. Guess what? His vet is sick and it will take him a few days to get it.

Now there is a bigger picture to all of this. We scan all breeding heifers before ai or the bull. This time last year we scanned this heifer and our scan man found that she has no uterus. So she was fed until February and sold as a beef heifer - even the sales docket declares that she is not suitable for breeding.

We are going to string the bollo€ks on for as long as we can. Let him forge the vet receipt or if he can find a vet stupid enough to do up a receipt to say that he took a calf from the heifer and administered antibiotics, he's digging a really big hole for himself.

Anyone got any other ideas of how we might string him along for a bit until we tell him what we know - preferably something that will cost him money?

We got a call from a farmer earlier this week. Claimed to have bought a 20 month heifer from a dealer that was purchased from us last February. He claims that she had a dead calf about 10 days ago and wants €500 in compensation to cover vet bill (€260) and the rest to cover the loss that he would have on her.

The old man was cool as a cucumber and asked why the vet bill was so high and was told that vet had to take the calf and come back a second time to administer antibiotics. So he said to the caller that we have a policy of taking back a heifer that's in calf and that we would be willing to pay him what he wants for his loss and pay his vet fees - just forward us on the vet bill. We will collect the heifer.

We have been having calls from this lad all week now. First he doesn't want to get his vet involved. Now he wants to keep the heifer and will settle for €300. My old man has been insistent that we will pay the vet. Today he told him that he won't part with any money until we see the vet bill. Guess what? His vet is sick and it will take him a few days to get it.

Now there is a bigger picture to all of this. We scan all breeding heifers before ai or the bull. This time last year we scanned this heifer and our scan man found that she has no uterus. So she was fed until February and sold as a beef heifer - even the sales docket declares that she is not suitable for breeding.

We are going to string the bollo€ks on for as long as we can. Let him forge the vet receipt or if he can find a vet stupid enough to do up a receipt to say that he took a calf from the heifer and administered antibiotics, he's digging a really big hole for himself.

Anyone got any other ideas of how we might string him along for a bit until we tell him what we know - preferably something that will cost him money?
Similar enough situation with ourselves lately, sold a heifer in the mart late July last year, dealer purchased her and sold onto some man up the country. Got phone call two weeks ago to say that she was definitely in calf and we had to take her back. Fair enough we said, agreed on 300 euro compensation, as we didn't want to be causing a scene about it. Interestingly she is the same size now as she was when we sold her, whatever type of a do she got in between. Now we have no clue how she would be in calf bar an immaculate conception as neither she nor the other 20 odd that went the same day as her were ever near a bull on our farm. So today is May 5th and based on my eye, I'd say there is no way she will calve in the next 10 days. We are starting to think that there's a very good chance she was bulled after leaving our place, perhaps even while at the dealer's place before being sold onto the eventual purchaser. Very annoying but we will see what happens. If she calves at some stage, and all goes ok, then I suppose all is well that ends well.

I think the first thing I would have said to him was 'You didnt buy the Heifer from us, you bought her from a third party, go take it up with him'
From what I gather he bought her off the mart sheet. ie. He paid the dealer an agreed fee on top of the mart price and the heifer went straight from our herd to his. Its hard to tell with him. His story changes every time he calls. He is probably trying this with every animal that he bought. It would be better to let him hang himself with lies or medicine records etc. and that would teach him a lesson.

Ask for a receipt for the dead animal collection listing the tag no of the calf?

I'd say there's a few chancers at this craic the whole time.

@nashmach or other mods ... maybe better in members section for the benefit of mucky @muckymanor ?

I think it's a dangerous path to go down, I'd be taking legal advice on it before it goes any further. I appreciate where @muckymanor is coming from and we all like to see gangsters like this get what's coming to them but if it ended up in court after you have strung him along for a period of time then a judge might well look at it as a case of 2 dishonest people both trying to extort money from each other, and even if they see your argument the legal system doesn't look kindly upon people administering their own justice. If you have evidence that the heifer was sold as not being suitable for breeding then the day to produce it was the first day, then there are no grey areas. Just my opinion, others may well disagree.

I think the first thing I would have said to him was 'You didnt buy the Heifer from us, you bought her from a third party, go take it up with him'
I'd guess he's trying to pull the same one on the dealer too...

While I'd like to string the c**t along as much as anyone I'd be on board with @TAFKAT for the most part. A scan report produced by you late in the day could look a bit too convenient. I know the animal could be rescanned to confirm but arranging that would be complicated (at best) and, with a scumbag involved, anything could happen to the animal or her tags in the meantime.

Also a lad that's chancing his arm at this game the whole time is unlikely to be going around paying top dollar for the type of stock mucky has. Not saying he's genuine but I have my doubts he's a professional or anything

Regardless you'll spend more time thinking about it than he will, get it done as quick as possible and move on

From what I gather he bought her off the mart sheet. ie. He paid the dealer an agreed fee on top of the mart price and the heifer went straight from our herd to his. Its hard to tell with him. His story changes every time he calls. He is probably trying this with every animal that he bought. It would be better to let him hang himself with lies or medicine records etc. and that would teach him a lesson.
Maybe contact the Mart then and see what went on exactly. The mart manager is also likely to know what kind of a character he is.

If was me I'd get him to confirm the animals number and what's the issue is. I'd then tell the mart what he is trying to pull. Presume he hasn't the animal mixed up or anything

If you put her number in the icbf wouldn't you be able to see if she has a calf registered to her? As for pictures of her and her bag and behind. Also pictures of the receipt of antibiotics administered that was issued by the vet when they came.

Heard a similar story of a neighbour here this evening.he had sold some springers to a man thst milks and also buys feeding cows.
Same shite, was a oldish cow but straight.your buck claims that she had mastitis in 3 quarters.the man said she couldn't as she was clear that morning.
The farmer said he'd take her back but the buck said he'd keep her but for 200 less.the farmer was having none of it and said he'd give the money back and sold her to another man.the lad that bought her had to move her onto the new owners herd no.......turned out to be a rival man in the same business.....didnt go down well when he discovered who owned the herd number

Back