ITLUS Conference

C

Cork

Did anyone get to the conference in Athy today?

I wasn't able to go due to babysitting duties...!

Agenda looked excellent and I hear that there were some excellent presentations.

was there and thought all presentations were first class. Matt Ryan would be the right man to have in a pub if you wanted to start a row. Knew how to offend arable men.

was there and thought all presentations were first class. Matt Ryan would be the right man to have in a pub if you wanted to start a row. Knew how to offend arable men.

is that the same matt ryan who is a retired teagasc dairy adviser who liked farmers to think for them selves with the help of a good row.

Same man Chewdles, He comforted all present not to feel threatened by the inevitable growth in the very profitable dairy sector . We should convert from arable farming to dairy providers, growing wholecrop for the dairy sector, do weekend milking, yard scraping and sow fertilizer for the dairy farmers.

Same man Chewdles, He comforted all present not to feel threatened by the inevitable growth in the very profitable dairy sector . We should convert from arable farming to dairy providers, growing wholecrop for the dairy sector, do weekend milking, yard scraping and sow fertilizer for the dairy farmers.

Nice

It's very difficult to sell farm to farm, when dealing with a crop like maize or wholecrop, there has to be a weighbridge and crop must be tested for starch and dm. I'm all for farm to farm trading, we sell all our grain expect rape to end users, much like share farming trust is very important in building a long term business relationship. I don't mean to offend any dairy farmers on here but from past experience we won't be rushing to deal with a dairy farmer. Let them buy it from a miller, who has bought it and is trading it on at a profit, from my experience a dairy farmer is only interested in buying direct off the farmer if he can buy it at the price the miller pays the farmer, that doesn't work, if the middle man is to be removed from the equation then the saving must be shared between the buyer and the seller.

It's very difficult to sell farm to farm, when dealing with a crop like maize or wholecrop, there has to be a weighbridge and crop must be tested for starch and dm. I'm all for farm to farm trading, we sell all our grain expect rape to end users, much like share farming trust is very important in building a long term business relationship. I don't mean to offend any dairy farmers on here but from past experience we won't be rushing to deal with a dairy farmer. Let them buy it from a miller, who has bought it and is trading it on at a profit, from my experience a dairy farmer is only interested in buying direct off the farmer if he can buy it at the price the miller pays the farmer, that doesn't work, if the middle man is to be removed from the equation then the saving must be shared between the buyer and the seller.

You wont have many dairy boys that will be happy with you reading that. We do allot of farm to farm for either roots, wholecrops, grains and maize. Never have and issue that cant be resolved with trust. grower might win one day, end user might win the next turn and so on with everything balancing out, give or take over the years.

I know there are plenty of sound dairy farmers, we had a bad experience, there is no way we are going to sell a crop of whole crop to dairy farmer unless we get more money than we would by combining and baling it ourselves, we are sure of our money where we sell our grain and we won't mess up our own land.

You wont have many dairy boys that will be happy with you reading that. We do allot of farm to farm for either roots, wholecrops, grains and maize. Never have and issue that cant be resolved with trust. grower might win one day, end user might win the next turn and so on with everything balancing out, give or take over the years.

Unfortunately Ozzy, you summed it up there without meaning to..

You mentioned one party or the other "winning" in the deal....that's the thing with some (many) farmers in deals with other farmers. They are only happy if they are the winner in a deal. Those with the view of building a long term business relationship will see that risks and benefits must be shared between both partners.

Unfortunately Ozzy, you summed it up there without meaning to..

You mentioned one party or the other "winning" in the deal....that's the thing with some (many) farmers in deals with other farmers. They are only happy if they are the winner in a deal. Those with the view of building a long term business relationship will see that risks and benefits must be shared between both partners.
I have never heard of a Cork man that has come out badly out of a deal :D

I know there are plenty of sound dairy farmers, we had a bad experience, there is no way we are going to sell a crop of whole crop to dairy farmer unless we get more money than we would by combining and baling it ourselves, we are sure of our money where we sell our grain and we won't mess up our own land.

hardest problem I find with farm to farm trade is to match the payment terms offered by merchants. You need a big wad of cash to pay up for grains that might not be eaten for 6 months. many people begrudge other people having to take their cut out of something. I want everyone im dealing with to be making money as if they are not, they arent much use to me in the long run

hardest problem I find with farm to farm trade is to match the payment terms offered by merchants. You need a big wad of cash to pay up for grains that might not be eaten for 6 months. many people begrudge other people having to take their cut out of something. I want everyone im dealing with to be making money as if they are not, they arent much use to me in the long run

Well said, thats good business, everyone has to make their bit.

I ended up with Wheat in store for two years because I would not sell for less than €130 / tonne only for King Coal in dunleer I would have had it for another year and made a fortune . He bought off me at the price I asked and I will always be grateful to him . I had it advertised and a few men wanted it delivered 150 miles away at that price . Dairymen have a hard life and know what money they are making but it gives them no excuse for being tight .

I ended up with Wheat in store for two years because I would not sell for less than €130 / tonne only for King Coal in dunleer I would have had it for another year and made a fortune . He bought off me at the price I asked and I will always be grateful to him . I had it advertised and a few men wanted it delivered 150 miles away at that price . Dairymen have a hard life and know what money they are making but it gives them no excuse for being tight .

King Coal, is that code?

The upcoming ITLUS Winter Conference is on Dec 4th & 5th in Clanard Court Hotel, Athy. The theme is "Visions for the Future" and looks like a very interesting agenda. Full details will be added to the ITLUS website shortly, or contact me for more details.

Hi all,

Just letting you know that the 2022 ITLUS conference will be held at the Clanard Court in Athy on the 1st December.

Agenda is attached.

Attachments

• Winter Conference and AGM 2022 Agenda.pdf
    518.6 KB · Views: 64
Back