JD M series v MF

Must study in more detail but that power curve drops sharply
Yes, when at low revs, no matter how good your torque curve is, your power is going to drop rapidly, it's full power band is very narrow, similar to an old ford 7600, but at much lower revs.
The thing that makes it useful now is the massive advance in gearbox technology, a Vario gearbox doesn't need an engine with a wide power band, it just needs power and a good torque curve, the gearbox can now compensate for the narrow power band.

Last edited:
Thats very similar to the current 6S power curve all be it 250 revs higher , on haulage work it needs just that bit more gear shifting to keep it singing.

It's the model that saved John deere, after the sg2 fiasco, it showed them what 2 doors, a passenger seat and air brakes were!!!!! :lol:
Joke is they made a sg2 with two doors!
For the Sweedish market, as itvwas a legal requirement to have two doors there!!

They've slipped back into 1 door mode with the R series! The right hand steps are particularly difficult to climb! So much so they basically become an emergency only set of steps!

It's the model that saved John deere, after the sg2 fiasco, it showed them what 2 doors, a passenger seat and air brakes were!!!!! :lol:
Joke is they made a sg2 with two doors!
For the Sweedish market, as itvwas a legal requirement to have two doors there!!

They've slipped back into 1 door mode with the R series! The right hand steps are particularly difficult to climb! So much so they basically become an emergency only set of steps!
The way most tractors are with monitors etc the right hand door is not accessible anyway.

I had a series1 7610 for a few years, a great tractor between 1,700 and 1,800 revs. I would spend the day with my foot resting over the multipower switch ready to hit it the second a load came on. Often the next gear in low multi would suit better, but it had no reserve, so the slower gear in high multi had to do. I fitted a series111 X patern engine to it when it got porous and it had a slightly wider power band, but still narrow.
The last Deutz I had was limited in its useful power band aswell, 1,700 to 2,000 and it's gearbox not quite quick enough for the engine. A lovely lively frugal engine and I reckon if it had been CVT it would have been a cracking tractor.

Last edited:
I had a series1 7610 for a few years, a great tractor between 1,700 and 1,800 revs. I would spend the day with my foot resting over the multipower switch ready to hit it the second a load came on. Often the next gear in low multi would suit better, but it had no reserve, so the slower gear in high multi had to do. I fitted a series111 X patern engine to it when it porous and it had a slightly wider power band, but still narrow.
The last Deutz I had was limited in its useful power band aswell, 1,700 to 2,000 and it's gearbox not quite quick enough for the engine. A lovely lively frugal engine and I reckon if it had been CVT it would have been a cracking tractor.
Tbf since i had the 74 remapped shes a differnt beast now
Power from 1400 to 1800
On the chip she had top end but as soom as you got near 1800 from 2000(pto speed) power fell off a cliff

I had a series1 7610 for a few years, a great tractor between 1,700 and 1,800 revs. I would spend the day with my foot resting over the multipower switch ready to hit it the second a load came on. Often the next gear in low multi would suit better, but it had no reserve, so the slower gear in high multi had to do. I fitted a series111 X patern engine to it when it porous and it had a slightly wider power band, but still narrow.
Was it not dual power on fords ?? Runaway multipower was kinda unique to MF i thought .
Grand on flat ground though but hills were a different challenge .

Tbf it's not a bad thing and it keeps a bit of variety in the market but it has to have a cost implication to. More R&D costs and more dealers to train and keep updated. In time I can see Agco dropping at least one of the brands most likely Valtra and focusing extensively on Fendt and to a lesser extent MF. There already at it with the Ideal combines and Katana self propels. I'm not able to answer you on global sales. I think MF still enjoy the greatest worldwide sales numbers but Agco seem to be fixated on Fendt.
Based on what do you see them dropping valtra ?

Back