JD M series v MF

He reconed the war was a big help in a round about way, as forcing them to invest in the best possible factory made them efficient.
Rather than trying to work round what they had, like so many British tractor makers who have since gone bye the wayside!
A lot of US and UK money was put into Germany to aid the post war rebuilding.
JD almost built a factory in Scotland too. But the inept government buggered that up, whilst the Germans welcomed them and bent over backwards to accommodate!
Same reason MF went from Coventry to France. Didn't the same happen with Ford and the transit van factory going to Europe as well?

Reactions: AYF
The factory is well worth a visit.

The tour guide taking us round said they had to build a whole new factory in the 1940's.
'Why was that?' Asked one of the group (innocently)
'Because ypu Britz flattened ze old von during ze war!'
Old lad had a brilliant sense of humor about it!

He reconed the war was a big help in a round about way, as forcing them to invest in the best possible factory made them efficient.
Rather than trying to work round what they had, like so many British tractor makers who have since gone bye the wayside!

JD almost built a factory in Scotland too. But the inept government buggered that up, whilst the Germans welcomed them and bent over backwards to accommodate!
That reminds me of the time Motorhead played Hamburg .
The had a huge mural of a Lancaster bomber in the stage background .
When the came on stage Lemmy pointed at the mural and told the audience " been a while since ye seen one of them eh "
Hope the had a sense of humour

That's what's beating Agco. A crisis of identity. MF, Fendt and Valtra all marketed as premium brand machines and in competition with one another.
They can't drop any of the brand names either as they'll loose out on who ever is a fan of a particular brand.
Is it a bad thing though? Having more than one brand under the same ownership?
To be fair, Deere have a huge market share for a single brand, I’d imagine that it was the 6/7000 series that really got them going.

How would the combination of MF, Fendt & Valtra compare to Deere in terms of market share?
I always thought that VW were very clever splitting their production capacity across their 4 brands. Targeting each section of the car market from the expensive Audi down to the cheaper Skoda/Seat. They got more life out of older designs and engines.

Is it a bad thing though? Having more than one brand under the same ownership?
To be fair, Deere have a huge market share for a single brand, I’d imagine that it was the 6/7000 series that really got them going.

How would the combination of MF, Fendt & Valtra compare to Deere in terms of market share?
I always thought that VW were very clever splitting their production capacity across their 4 brands. Targeting each section of the car market from the expensive Audi down to the cheaper Skoda/Seat. They got more life out of older designs and engines.
Tbf it's not a bad thing and it keeps a bit of variety in the market but it has to have a cost implication to. More R&D costs and more dealers to train and keep updated. In time I can see Agco dropping at least one of the brands most likely Valtra and focusing extensively on Fendt and to a lesser extent MF. There already at it with the Ideal combines and Katana self propels. I'm not able to answer you on global sales. I think MF still enjoy the greatest worldwide sales numbers but Agco seem to be fixated on Fendt.

Tbf it's not a bad thing and it keeps a bit of variety in the market but it has to have a cost implication to. More R&D costs and more dealers to train and keep updated. In time I can see Agco dropping at least one of the brands most likely Valtra and focusing extensively on Fendt and to a lesser extent MF. There already at it with the Ideal combines and Katana self propels. I'm not able to answer you on global sales. I think MF still enjoy the greatest worldwide sales numbers but Agco seem to be fixated on Fendt.
Highest potential to make money with Fendt, it doesnt cost that much more to build a Fendt than a MF, especially if you could scale up production as a lot of the cost would be R&D.

If I had the choice it would be the M everyday, the new cabs are grand, as comfortable as any tractor to spend the day in and that one sounds very well specc'd and no doubt will have a good trade in value in years to come. AutoQuad may take some getting used to if youre used to an automated box in the same way lads who are used to autoquad would hate a dynasour box, probably wont be an issue if its a field tractor. There will be no comparison with trade in values going forward and reliability of M&R's at the minute wont be matched by other machines on the market, they are bombproof, all proven technology that has been built on and improved.

Am inclined to think Agco would be reluctant to loose Sisu engines even though the Fendt hierarchy would prefer a German engine, the engine side of things is separate from Valtra now . Who knows, top management dont always make the right decisions.

Am inclined to think Agco would be reluctant to loose Sisu engines even though the Fendt hierarchy would prefer a German engine, the engine side of things is separate from Valtra now . Who knows, top management dont always make the right decisions.
This new low revving 7.5L Sisu engine sounds like a game changer, if it turns out to be as good as they claim, it will give AGCO a major advantage.

This new low revving 7.5L Sisu engine sounds like a game changer, if it turns out to be as good as they claim, it will give AGCO a major advantage.
Fully agree. Especially with fuel prices the way at are. If the engine works out the days of revving the nuts off an engine to get power will be long gone. The specs on those engines are like you say a game changer.

Slightly off topic but along the same lines i suppose, how are the 6120m's fairing out?
They look a lovely tractor. Tfm's sales man was her last year and seemed eager enough to sell but I never really followed it up. A demo would have been nice but never considered it at the time.

Slightly off topic but along the same lines i suppose, how are the 6120m's fairing out?
They look a lovely tractor. Tfm's sales man was her last year and seemed eager enough to sell but I never really followed it up. A demo would have been nice but never considered it at the time.
There’s a 6100 and a 6140 beside be one 3 years old the other is 2, the owners seem very happy I’ve driven the 6100 it’s a lovely tractor and livelier than I expected. How’s ur 5S going? I added 15 hp onto my 5712 she’s some weapon now.

There’s a 6100 and a 6140 beside be one 3 years old the other is 2, the owners seem very happy I’ve driven the 6100 it’s a lovely tractor and livelier than I expected. How’s ur 5S going? I added 15 hp onto my 5712 she’s some weapon now.
There's one 6120m locally and he seems very happy with it as well, but he would be a John Deere man through and through.
Did you delete the adblue when you were at it? Very happy with the 5s. Just have it over the year now and it hasn't put a foot wrong..but then It wouldn't want to. There's five of them locally now and all going well.

There's one 6120m locally and he seems very happy with it as well, but he would be a John Deere man through and through.
Did you delete the adblue when you were at it? Very happy with the 5s. Just have it over the year now and it hasn't put a foot wrong..but then It wouldn't want to. There's five of them locally now and all going well.
Adblue is gone aswell, she’s just 3 years old now.

Back