jf 850' s pics

You are feeding yours better than I am .

Fantastic picture . Were you standing in the open or sitting in the jeep as I was to take as was to take the picture ?
I was spreading fert. and the cows were in the field next to me I was checking them and spotted the Pine Martins took a few pictures before they took of into the riverbehind the strand of wire .

I was spreading fert. and the cows were in the field next to me I was checking them and spotted the Pine Martins took a few pictures before they took of into the riverbehind the strand of wire .

Why I ask is , they smell a human , if you were standing there.
We had pulled up with the intention of getting out to check the.nose pump (, in case @Mf240 was right , and i had put the othe pump back together the wrong way), when a lad rang me , so turned off the jeep herself copped 1 tippimg along the bank then.i spotted the 2nd hung up , turned over to camera , . I was highly impressed with myself for capturing it until I see your offering of momma and babies.

My father would happily spend his days setting traps for pine martins, seems to enjoy that type of work, he keeps a few hens, and has had losses in the past as a result of them. This might sound a bit off the wall with all the salmon tips for the trap but he has told me that peanut butter is actually the best thing to get them into a trap. They go mad for it. Apparently, they can smell it from further away than the mouldy salmon. He swears by it and has caught a number of them over the years. I won't mention what he does with them after catching them.

I hope people are not trapping them as they were an endangered species and at one stage were only in Sligo and Carlow. They kill grey squirrels because they feed on the ground but the Red squirrels feed high up in the trees so do not get caught. . Loads of young pheasants in the tramlines yet there was buzzards overhead when I was verge trimming yesterday.
It takes a seriously good chicken coop to keep the pine Martin’s out . A friend of mine had turkeys killed and went into Carlow and got a cage trap . The Martin made bits of the trap and escaped. He brought the trap back and they gave him his money back .

My father would happily spend his days setting traps for pine martins, seems to enjoy that type of work, he keeps a few hens, and has had losses in the past as a result of them. This might sound a bit off the wall with all the salmon tips for the trap but he has told me that peanut butter is actually the best thing to get them into a trap. They go mad for it. Apparently, they can smell it from further away than the mouldy salmon. He swears by it and has caught a number of them over the years. I won't mention what he does with them after catching them.
Peanut butter all the way, great stuff to attract any of them small animals.

I'm guessing, that like us, he rehomes them in another part of the country where there are no chickens or hens. Sort of a catch and release programme

I could have put this in a few places
Started a new thread
What Impressed you today

Back to playing with Meccano.
Delivered yesterday . Delivered 2 weeks to the day from ordered , as he said they would. Drill bit , and driver bit to suit fixings. Little touches, but :thumbup1:
20201025_224815.jpg20201025_225149.jpg20201025_224835.jpg20201025_230001.jpg

2 questions

Is the brace pipe in roughly the right place ?
And is the brisket board to be screwed down on top of the mat , roughly where it is ?

What length is the bed ?Just from looking I think the board is to high, not enough lunging room and head space , but I only have beef cows on turf mold .

What length is the bed ?Just from looking I think the board is to high, not enough lunging room and head space , but I only have beef cows on turf mold .

i think they are 7ft. thats what the cubicles at the other side of that wall are , so went the same. No brisket board in them ; old 3 legged type. Timber is 4 x 3.

Always set the headrail at 50” diagonal from the heel stone here,I’ll measure the distance on the brisket board if I remember tomorn.

5’6” to the back of the brisket board from the heel in the heifer cubicles and 5’8” on the milkers,this is fine for 800kg cows,they also lie in the heifer cubicles fine.
You do like your ladies big.takes the power to get 9 to 10k litres outa them.
Indoor systems dont suit the cow thats probaly suited to most people

A big figure in my business is cull cow value,I regular get £1000 for a cull.

That is some money for a cull.
I had a hoof pared here last Friday , and he is death on Jet cows . Reckons the knackery is the only home for them at the end of their days ,
. And , that if that loss was put against milk value , they wouldn’t add up. Plus “ You’d have to look them every day “

Measured the heel to board . 67”, so in between your 2

That is some money for a cull.
I had a hoof pared here last Friday , and he is death on Jet cows . Reckons the knackery is the only home for them at the end of their days ,
. And , that if that loss was put against milk value , they wouldn’t add up. Plus “ You’d have to look them every day “

Measured the heel to board . 67”, so in between your 2
The main reason your hoof pairer is death on Jersey X cows is because he makes no money from them because they don't get lame near as often from the walking in and out of the parlour!

Back