John Deere 6210r

Well folks. Have my eye on a john Deere 6210r with 5500 hrs on it. It’s well speced 50 k 4 electric spools and an electric mid mount on the arm rest for the front linkage. It’s non ad blue. doesn’t have air brakes. Seems a very genuine healthy looking tractor very nice to drive. I’m a little nervous of Electrical issues with them for what I having been reading and hearing. What’s people’s taughts? Should I walk away from it

No Air brakes and 50k sounds very unusual ? I would also be worried about that, tractors often pulled at checkpoints here as we are beside a large factory with lots of timber lorries on the road and the Gaurds would grill you for anything not right. @laoisfarmer or @jd-baz might know if air can be fitted after purchase

No Air brakes and 50k sounds very unusual ? I would also be worried about that, tractors often pulled at checkpoints here as we are beside a large factory with lots of timber lorries on the road and the Gaurds would grill you for anything not right. @laoisfarmer or @jd-baz might know if air can be fitted after purchase
I think air can be put on it but it’s not straight forward job fitting it

Well folks. Have my eye on a john Deere 6210r with 5500 hrs on it. It’s well speced 50 k 4 electric spools and an electric mid mount on the arm rest for the front linkage. It’s non ad blue. doesn’t have air brakes. Seems a very genuine healthy looking tractor very nice to drive. I’m a little nervous of Electrical issues with them for what I having been reading and hearing. What’s people’s taughts? Should I walk away from it
Wouldn’t have any issues with an r , have 4 in the yard and 3 others that have passed through . Had have a 6195 with 8500hrs and no real issues. Have a 6170r with 6500 hrs that is doing something a little funny at times but think it’s just a bad earth around the battery box. Air can be retro fitted , think there is a crowd in the uk doing a kit. Only r I would ever be afraid of is a direct drive even if it had the upgrade done.

Local contractor bought x4 6r150s without air as it was £900 extra on each,he’s never done it since,costs over £2k to retrofit.

No issues there. Have heard a few people had to go ripping Direct Drive boxes in 6155Rs at 4,000-5,000 hours

Only r I would ever be afraid of is a direct drive even if it had the upgrade done.

Are the direct drives that poor??? Have all autoquad here and to be fair they have been bombproof and free from trouble but was thinking of going for something like Command Quad or Direct drive with the next purchase just for a nicer drive or am I looking for heartache?? Command Quad doesn't seem to been that popular a choice going on the 2nd hand listings I've seen.

Local contractor bought x4 6r150s without air as it was £900 extra on each,he’s never done it since,costs over £2k to retrofit.

Local contractor here has even the 40km M Series speced on Air brakes. I questioned him on it and he said the difference between air and hydraulic braking was night and day and he wouldnt dream of getting a tractor now unless it was fitted..
Saying that, them tractors would be on plenty of road work with dump trailers, low loaders and plenty of different drivers so I suppose the air brakes are an additional insurance against the lads with a heavy right foot!

Are the direct drives that poor??? Have all autoquad here and to be fair they have been bombproof and free from trouble but was thinking of going for something like Command Quad or Direct drive with the next purchase just for a nicer drive or am I looking for heartache?? Command Quad doesn't seem to been that popular a choice going on the 2nd hand listings I've seen.
CommandQuad is only after being introduced on the latest 6R (has been on the 6M much longer) and in reality is just automating the gear lever change.
Overall around 50% of all 6R models produced are now fitted with the AutoPowr transmission as it seems to have the reliability issues sorted that plagued the 6010, 6020 and to a lesser extent the 6030 and doesn't cost a whole lot more than DirectDrive.
Was speaking to a friend with a 6155R DD and they have been into it and he knew of a few others local to him. Hard to say if it is an epidemic issue but we all know what happens when you see a cluster with the same problem....

Last edited:
No issues there. Have heard a few people had to go ripping Direct Drive boxes in 6155Rs as 4,000-5,000 hours
Ya I've driven both a direct drive and autopower 6210R, the direct drive has been unbelievably unreliable in its 5000 hours. The list of problems would be as long as your arm. The autopower one in comparison has been a way more reliable tractor, I wouldn't rate the direct drive box either, most other power shifts are nicer to use.

id go for the autopower as it's slightly better than the command pro or the other options, that or stick with the autoquad. Out of the friends 6215r which has the autopwer, the 6250r which has the command pro and the 7530 with the autoquad myself and a lot of others prefer the 75 to drive out of the lot. The only thing the other 2 r series really have going for them over the 75 is they're far more comfortable going over tramlines but they're a real headwrecker to drive or work with.

it's a wonder the command quad or direct drive are so unreliable as them lads also have an 8400 which has their powershift predecessor which doesn't give any bother and that tractor must be pushing 20000 hours or more now. It's engine has been rebuilt once but the gearbox was never touched.

Auto quad used to be go to but autopower seems to be getting very popular in the r series , we are running 4 autopowers and they really are liked , going forward autopower will always be our choice, had a command quad on demo , it was ok and a little nicer than an auto quad but not sure I’d be paying a premium for it. Direct drive is very hit and miss , some people never have to go into them but plenty do and it’s all because of a faulty circlip, most are done within warranty but I’m still not sure I’d chance one. Direct drive is a step ahead of auto quad to drive and a nice box but in my opinion once you drive an autopower a direct drive will not compete .

I think the command quad only had 4 ranges when on the m series...................its amazing that at this stage john deere havent replaced the clunky gear level on auto quad with a range change something like the dyna 6 on masseys

Back