John Deere

I think tinman's point was that he's in a similar situation himself with two devils he knows that have cost little but should he upgrade....

I don't think he was trying to be awkward. This time :-P
Yes I'd imagine that was what he was trying to say.
It's a good question and I'd say a lot of lads face the same dilemma.
I mean if you can get 20k hours out of a tractor without much repairs then is it worth spending money on getting it in top order again.
On the other hand I don't tink new tractors have a cats chance of lasting that long.
Possible if your clocking big hours in short periods of time they will be good but the most of us wouldn't be doing mad hours and the more bits that are on them like ad blue and such the more unreliable they will be when they get older.
Someone mentioned that the older tractors get the less able they are to do tasks.
I don't belive so a 135 will do everything that was asked of it 50 years ago just everything got bigger since

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When repairs cost more than the interest charge but it turns into a roundabout that is hard to get off . Nobody likes driving an unreliable heap of shite .

thankyou.
i was asking the wrong person just.

I get what you were saying but you were asking the wrong person and using the wrong example of tractor to try prove your point,if you asked me would i be thinking of keeping my 6930 up to 20000 hours,well the answer may be different.......
She has more hours than the 7810 but i can see her lasting in the long run,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be worth doing what CAT do with the big machines full strip and rebuild lets say u put €40k into a 7810 and surely u would still be better off than buying a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The repairs on older tractors are allowed against your tax in one year also, where as the new tractor is written off over 8 so there's that side of things to consider as well.

are you happier knowing you might have to throw money for parts at it more often than a newer tractor the older it gets.
simply because you know that its cumin down the line if you keep her on but she is such a good tractor your happy to do that rather than fork out big coin on a newer tractor.

or, there is the danger the parts could add up to the price of the payments on a newer tractor if things hit the fan about right and so its (like a lot of things) a gamble too.

its something i wonder about the tractors here, i know them inside out, i know they will eat more money the older they get but am i as far on just keeping them right as i am by trading up, would it actually work out less..

it's a hard question really, i think it's different for everyone. Look at the way americans do it for example, many have the same 40 50 and 60 series deere that their fathers and grandfathers bought, same with magnums and internationals over there. i think it depends on when the dealers stop supporting the older models, i think we have a culture of upgrading our machinery alot more often than say in the states so dealers are more reluctant to stock parts for older machines or even work on them. Some are time consuming to repair more than difficult or that parts are expensive compared to newer tractors, which with both parts being scarce and labour more expensive it can inflate repair bills. But for the likes of a 00/10 series deere or even the 60/TM series new holland which are such a popular machines and so similar to the newer models i think these problems are becoming less and less of an issue.

Lads I've deleted a few posts here, life is too short to be spending the evening arguing. :thumbup:

Aaahh, have I missed something..:D.. I think the answer to tinmans query lies with what any owner expects from his tractor, whether he wants to upgrade for better comfort or ability to handle bigger kit, what sort of annual work load, reliability if it's a prime mover and there is no substitute in the event of a breakdown. what's in the yard here will more likely wear me out than me wear them out..:whistle:

a lot of different attitudes to machinery , i know men who only ever buy new and the same men rarely get much wrong , i or my father never bought new , we couldnt see it being worth it , ive a nine year old JD 6320 which i bought as a three year old , id prefer use the difference between a good second hand and a new one in something which will grow in value

i could be wrong in my view

a lot of different attitudes to machinery , i know men who only ever buy new and the same men rarely get much wrong , i or my father never bought new , we couldnt see it being worth it , ive a nine year old JD 6320 which i bought as a three year old , id prefer use the difference between a good second hand and a new one in something which will grow in value

i could be wrong in my view

again it depends on what the machine is and what you are planning on doing with it. Plus nowadays with certain payment options the newer machines aren't far away from the same payments as a good secondhand machine only over a few more years but then you get a few years guarantee that you wont have any major repair bills on the new tractor compared to the worry of what could happen with even a fresh secondhand machine.

A real little gem I found this autumn sowing season and not far from you [MENTION=4408]Blackwater boy[/MENTION]
A JD8410. The growl from her, the 1st time she passed me, I just had to watch her and take her in fully :crying::crying: a rare thing of beauty

drove one yrs ago possibly the best sounding tractor I've ever driven
the noise on startup on a cold winters day :thumbup:

[MENTION=4190]johndeere6920s[/MENTION] a day on this one would fairly soften the horn on ya.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446236217.579401.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446236217.579401.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 119
again it depends on what the machine is and what you are planning on doing with it. Plus nowadays with certain payment options the newer machines aren't far away from the same payments as a good secondhand machine only over a few more years but then you get a few years guarantee that you wont have any major repair bills on the new tractor compared to the worry of what could happen with even a fresh secondhand machine.

repayments on money are high in this country , its only the interest which can be written off against tax , depreciation doesnt go on forever

Back