John Deere

If no new JD franchise set up nearest dealer will be 90 miles away from our area.
HRN sold a lot of JD's around here.
i spose dealer jd told hrn to make way for in balbeggie is netherton? they seem to be the closest to balbeggie

Last edited:
Aren't HRN and Netherton tractors owned by the same family anyway??

Looks like NH are going into the huge areas in Ireland too with Shaws rumoured to be buying over Lyons and Burton according to the Journal.

Looks like NH are going into the huge areas in Ireland too with Shaws rumoured to be buying over Lyons and Burton according to the Journal.
didnt know that barclay owns netherton. they seem to own everything then

Shaws are sound and good back up and all but that take over is not good. A few years ago there was perry's in athy and kilkenny, enniscorthy motor and lyons and Burton and Shaws but now just 1. Very poor for any sort of competition.

Shaws are sound and good back up and all but that take over is not good. A few years ago there was perry's in athy and kilkenny, enniscorthy motor and lyons and Burton and Shaws but now just 1. Very poor for any sort of competition.
and sure nh lost swaine agri to valtra too. also with perry's, thought armstrong took over from them with the combines didnt they?

Its a pity i think seems the day of a dearler having one branch and servicing his local area are to be a thing of the past the days of going into the stores or the sale team an being on first name terms with them will surely go too

JD did the similar with John Corntwaite,sold Deere’s for 40 years,he turned Lancashire green.
i heard about what he did i think. he started selling case before his contract was up with jd as a middle finger to them? jd got a bit angsty bout it

From what i heard lads dont like being told what their going to buy they like to decide themselves

A bit like a local MF dealer never going out to sell a tractor ?

People come in to him , to buy a tractor .

The most of his buyers , Grandad bought a Fergy 20 , and we've never had another breed of tractor on the farm.

Won't be popular for saying it but most of the bigger franchise dealers are only really interested in those who are buying newer tractors and changing frequently.

How often do you see older tractors in these yards now as in >15 years old, very seldom no matter how clean they are.

I don't see how these big mergers are good business for anyway to be honest and in particular all the moving and shaking with dealerships in the UK.

Won't be popular for saying it but most of the bigger franchise dealers are only really interested in those who are buying newer tractors and changing frequently.

How often do you see older tractors in these yards now as in >15 years old, very seldom no matter how clean they are.

I don't see how these big mergers are good business for anyway to be honest and in particular all the moving and shaking with dealerships in the UK.
You don't move quick enough nash they move them on fairly rapid for small money

A bit like a local MF dealer never going out to sell a tractor ?

People come in to him , to buy a tractor .

The most of his buyers , Grandad bought a Fergy 20 , and we've never had another breed of tractor on the farm.
He sells some amount of tractors though, sold a new combine this year too.

You could always deal with William Foster in Wicklow.

True. Not criticising shaws at all any dealings I've had and service has been top notch. I just think that a few more independent dealers would be better than 1 mega dealer.

While the L&B deal was out of the blue, unfortunately there is a reason it happened so quickly and there are probably very few who would have the finances or appetite to take on such an area.

You don't move quick enough nash they move them on fairly rapid for small money

Nothing to do with me and yes most seem to be moved on into the trade. And I know all about stock levels and keeping cashflow going but I think It's shortsighted by reducing potential customer base. Especially if a popular model or more so one in their own stable.

As a man in business once said, better to have 50 small customers rather than 5 big ones.

True. Not criticising shaws at all any dealings I've had and service has been top notch. I just think that a few more independent dealers would be better than 1 mega dealer.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing any dealers either but as a very small fry for any of them, It's always the smaller ones which bend over backwards here anyway.

Unfortunately the way it is at the moment the mega dealers are close to becoming a reality and I think in less than 20 years, we will be no different than the car industry where most garages are in the hands of a few. Very questionable whether the customer is the winner in that case.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-3050-turbo/25732659

NzgxOGI2ZTc3MjVhMzBlYWNlMzgxMzRhYzU5ZjY0NDeontNxzmGmYL0CD8TJcSE6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ2MDU5NDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The " Mr Fixit ," for 40 and 50 series John Deeres for many year's here in the Midlands, passed away yesterday after a long illness.
A very keen vintage man , he was well known and a great man for a chat.
He started his affair with John Deere when Sherrards had a depot in Mountrath from 1979 to 82 , approx.
This tractor was bought there by a long deceased farmer a couple of miles from Mountrath. Andy bought it in latter years and restored it . It wax featured in IrishVintageScene magazine last year. I took this photo at Ballyroan vintage rally last May , which was the last time I was speaking to him.
May his gentle soul rest in peace.
View attachment 76670

XCI 383
The man who bought that tractor in sherrards is actually ploughing this morning. Has since moved up to a 6920s.

RIP Andy.

Tractor is a bit of a hybrid.

Tractor in pic was sold to the family new and stayed there until Andy bought it. XCI 383 was also sold new 6 weeks previous in 1979 to a farmer 2 miles out the road, who I referred to as ploughing this morning. Andy also knew tractor well.
Andy bought the tractor in pic but tax book and plate were missing. So Andy also bought XCI 383 which had tax book and put front axle and frame under tractor. Hence the number plate.

Both were 3130.

yeah I used to think vintage was for mad men, but the older I get, the more appreciation I have for them. Have a 2130 here bought new in sherrards in 77. Would be a nice project.

Which bonnet and cab is on your 1977 2130 ?

They were available for a short time, I've never seen one in rel life but here is the brochure:Thumbp2:

View attachment 76733

This is a tractor that a neighbour bought early in the year . I didnt see it up close until lately . It seems to have the newer bonnet , but is it ? It was either repaired or modified ?
SCI was a 1977 Laois reg.
I showed the photo to a man , and he reckoned he knew who owned the tractor years ago. Any ideas @13spanner ?
20200817_162626.jpg

Back