John Deere

As John Deere's go, how reliable are the 6200 and 6300 models?
Very reliable, 6400 would be even better.

Only issue is getting to this hour of their lives it could make you or break you in terms of repair cost and a lot of independent mechanics wont look at them.

You will spend a few thousand on dry clutches over 10k hours on most tractors, but its more intermittent. Clutch packs/brakes etc all tend to go around 9 or 10k hours in the JD for the first time on them, and its thousands to do anything with.

Two 6400's locally, I know the owners well, gave great service, but it was 3-4k to do the packs when they went in the two of them. One is now at 15k hours and diet feeding everyday. If you can get one with a lot of those repairs done, you'd have a good tractor for years.

I can hear the pump in the tank working away once the key is turned on
Could be the gauze at the end of the lift pump in the tank. If it's the same system as the jd6800. We used to hit the bottom of the tank with a hammer when we needed a quick fix for it, but thinking on it now that would release more dirt from the bottom of the tank. If it's the same as the jd6800 there is a port through the floor of the cab on the passenger side underneath the mat under that is the top of the lift pump, pull it out n check the gauze and be careful with the wires.

What would be a suitable tyre combination for a 6630. Currently on 600 65 38 and 16.9 24. Need to change the back at the mo and there is about 40 left on the front. Would like to stay with 600 on the rear but the the 16.9 looks a bit off on the front.

Very reliable, 6400 would be even better.

Only issue is getting to this hour of their lives it could make you or break you in terms of repair cost and a lot of independent mechanics wont look at them.

You will spend a few thousand on dry clutches over 10k hours on most tractors, but its more intermittent. Clutch packs/brakes etc all tend to go around 9 or 10k hours in the JD for the first time on them, and its thousands to do anything with.

Two 6400's locally, I know the owners well, gave great service, but it was 3-4k to do the packs when they went in the two of them. One is now at 15k hours and diet feeding everyday. If you can get one with a lot of those repairs done, you'd have a good tractor for years.

Interesting comment on independent mechanics, It's a similar story down here, plenty of independent lads at work but not many into the JD's, I'm not sure why either as while not market leader around here, there are still plenty of them around.

Interesting comment on independent mechanics, It's a similar story down here, plenty of independent lads at work but not many into the JD's, I'm not sure why either as while not market leader around here, there are still plenty of them around.
a few independants round here as well but busy as hell to get. took a neighbour about a month and a half to get jd mechanic to get a few gaskets and a few other bits changed on his tractor. the nh man is hard to get too but then again he'd do any machine but give him a hesston baler or combine and he'd have a field day. waiting on him for a couple of months to get a bearing changed on the combine but we're in no rush

Cost as far as I can see is a big factor.

Many independents are jack of all trades, but would stick to the simple stuff (Ford, mf, landini, same maybe)

John deere would be more nuanced.

a few independants round here as well but busy as hell to get. took a neighbour about a month and a half to get jd mechanic to get a few gaskets and a few other bits changed on his tractor. the nh man is hard to get too but then again he'd do any machine but give him a hesston baler or combine and he'd have a field day. waiting on him for a couple of months to get a bearing changed on the combine but we're in no rush
I thought the only tractor he would touch was NH, I presume that’s C.W. your referring to.

Reactions: c4l
Back