John Deere

I presume the 5 series was much cheaper new than the 6000 s?
Are they a genuine JD?
Anything should be an upgrade from a 265.this is a real old school farmer,he is keeping his 165 with loader for low sheds.
He reckons he will put up 500hrs a year, according to the hours on his 265 that's about right.any newer tractor may clock a lot more hours doing the same work
It would be the successor to the 5820 if I’m not mistaken, I drive one of them regularly and also a 6110 which would be a match size wise. The 6 is by far a nicer tractor, but having said that the 58 isn’t the worst either, for that sort of hours hopefully it would be ok. I can’t say the 58 has had many problems but the hours are very low on it and a lot of the problems are more from perishing and lack of use tbh. They are both a fairly nice stable tractor and both have the jd 551 loader on which I consider to be an absolute donkey of a loader. especially after driving a second 6110 that had a quicke loader fitted. It was a neat and tidy loader on it.

The 5’s don’t tend to have the park gear but if your not used to a jd anyway you wouldn’t miss it. You sort of sit down into the 5000 cab compared to the 6000

JD 5090m
Friend of mi e looking at a 2012 one, supposedly 2 owner known history 4k hours.priced in the early forties all in.
One of the Casey brothers selling I think,not the clonaslee place.
Are they sound tractors?
He is trading in an owned from new 265 with 18k hours on it if anyone wants one.
Never touched except service and the steering.now that's value for money machinery working
Don't seem to be a bad tractor. A Neighbour down the road has one from new but mind you he doesn't do a whole pile with it, mainly feeds livestock, tops and makes the odd bit of hay each year. Only thing it's really notorious for which I find quite amusing is the balls off the larger 74 and 7530s or any of the sames link arms dont fit it and jam in the arms which as you can imagine has caught out a few lads in the past. one other thing i would hold against it is it's a bit cramped, everything is kind of squished in together.

I personally wouldn't buy a 5 series JD. A small 6 series would be way better.
We have a 5100M here and I'd have to agree with you. For an expensive tractor, it defies logic to me to have chickensh!t fuses going into them. And I might be harsh on the chickens here!

Soft would be the way I'd describe it. When it goes well, it's a nice tractor but, for me, too many niggeldy things have gone wrong in it for me to do little more than tolerate it at this stage.

Thanks for all the help lads.
How much dearer would a 6 series be?
Probably hard to find with low hours at this stage

The likes of 1 of these would be a great buy.
A friend of mines uncle had one of them and it was meant to have given him a heap of trouble. He had one identical on demo which he was delighted with but he couldn't buy it as it had been sold to someone else. Only traded it in last year for one of the new 6120m's which seems to be going well for now.

The likes of 1 of these would be a great buy.
At 75 inc vat that's nearly twice the price of the 5090.
Different tractor completely but bear in mind this man is coming up from a mf 265!
How would the 30 series NH be as a decent smaller farmers tractor in comparison to the Deere 50 be series

Different tractor completely but bear in mind this man is coming up from a mf 265!
How would the 30 series NH be as a decent smaller farmers tractor in comparison to the Deere 50 be series
A MF 5455/5445 would be got for late 30/40k in great shape, I'd be looking that direction in that size/money bracket

Last edited:
Twice the tractor tho..
Would he have a look out for a 6230 or 6330 maybe so. Prob get 1 of those in good order for mid 40’s money.

I presume the 5 series was much cheaper new than the 6000 s?
Are they a genuine JD?
Anything should be an upgrade from a 265.this is a real old school farmer,he is keeping his 165 with loader for low sheds.
He reckons he will put up 500hrs a year, according to the hours on his 265 that's about right.any newer tractor may clock a lot more hours doing the same work
I think they're not a genuine JD, are they built built in Spain by some company that build other tractors as well

The indicators aren’t working. The green indicator lights in the dash are flashing the whole time but not the outside indicator lights themselves. I believe the flasher unit is in the bcu.

i recondition my engine in my case 4240 when i put oil back in engine ive notice a small leak just at the bottom of the dip stick its not on the engine it seem to be coming out of the bottom where the dip stick goes down can i tighten it or put seal in dare

I see JD have launched a few higher hp smal & mid sized 6R series. The 6185R looks like a very interesting tractor, a proper replacement for the 7810 or 7530 at last. They seem to have realised that a 200hp mid weight tractor is an important sector. Just as MF feck up dropping their 200hp mid weight tractor JD reintroduce a winner.

Back