Jx90 or 5455?

weshtlad

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advice on which of the above tractors you would pick given the option? I had been looking at a Jx90 in a local dealer with <1k hours, all original, clean and tidy but yesterday I went to see a MF 5455 with just over 2k hours, manual shuttle, immaculately clean and genuine as I have since found the original owner. Both tractors are similar in power and both at the same price. I'd be leaning towards the MF simply because of its condition and cab comfort layout/comfort in comparison to the JX but the father is favouring the JX because it's in a garage that's more local to us and we have dealt with the owner in the past.

I've heard of some issues with the 5455 as regards overheating and front axle/driveshaft issues if the tractor has had a loader but the owner has told me this was taken care of before he bought it because the loader was removed at that point. The clutch was also done. It feels like a tractor that was well cared for and looks the part too.

Having said that the JX isnt without some bad stories too, but people are generally of the opinion that they're a more simple machine to run and to repair.

We only average about 400 hours a year doing general farm duties, mainly transport box work, putting in bales, fertiliser and topping. My only hope would be that over the summer when bales are for stacking that I could haul two on the back as opposed to just one.. would that be possible on a 5455 with a set of weights?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advice on which of the above tractors you would pick given the option? I had been looking at a Jx90 in a local dealer with <1k hours, all original, clean and tidy but yesterday I went to see a MF 5455 with just over 2k hours, manual shuttle, immaculately clean and genuine as I have since found the original owner. Both tractors are similar in power and both at the same price. I'd be leaning towards the MF simply because of its condition and cab comfort layout/comfort in comparison to the JX but the father is favouring the JX because it's in a garage that's more local to us and we have dealt with the owner in the past.

I've heard of some issues with the 5455 as regards overheating and front axle/driveshaft issues if the tractor has had a loader but the owner has told me this was taken care of before he bought it because the loader was removed at that point. The clutch was also done. It feels like a tractor that was well cared for and looks the part too.

Having said that the JX isnt without some bad stories too, but people are generally of the opinion that they're a more simple machine to run and to repair.

We only average about 400 hours a year doing general farm duties, mainly transport box work, putting in bales, fertiliser and topping. My only hope would be that over the summer when bales are for stacking that I could haul two on the back as opposed to just one.. would that be possible on a 5455 with a set of weights?

For the hours you're talking about I think either of those tractors would be ideal. Any minor gripes people might have over either model shouldn't be serious enough to cause you bother when they're so fresh and you're not going to be dogging them.

My own experience would be with the jx and I'd say not the most comfortable but for light work she'll be fine and pretty bomb proof

No experience of either tractor.

Sold our double bale handler here 2 years ago. Felt that the tractor wasn't able for it. Maybe in really dry silage, it was grand, but on average, I felt that it was tearing the arse out of it. It was fine when we were getting bales made by the brother in law with his rp200, but when we changed to a contractor, we were getting much bigger bales. For your own safety and for to preserve the life of your machine, I think that a 6 cylinder tractor is essential for a double bale handler.

I'd lean towards the lower houred tractor but having 2 machines that you'd be equally happy with it's a chance to deal as hard as you can.

Is it a JX or a JXU?
The JX were built in Turkey
The JXU were built in Italy and the JXU are the same as a New Holland TL
There are plenty JXU and TL's around, parts should be easily come by. The JX are not that common
I would go with the 5455

is the case jx90 a jx90u model because if it aint ,do not even consider it for any heavy duty work .the jxu model would be the same as new holland t5050 and tla models .The jx models same as a nh td models bullt in Turkey .Like you say some issues with 5455 models ,clutch done at 2k hours ???? .I would say keep looking

I could be wrong but a 5455 with manual shuttle will have a dry clutch open to correction on that though.
I’d still have the 54 much heavier built than the Case.

Would the jxu even be in the same league as the 5455? They're a 3000 series based back end arent they?

Would the jxu even be in the same league as the 5455? They're a 3000 series based back end arent they?
The JXU would be in a smaller size class really, an MXU would be more a match for a 5455.
A JXU is a very small tractor, the 5455 would be a more capable tractor in every way and more stable with a loader too.

I go for the 5455, good tractor the double bale handler be no bother to it, great job for stacking quick. what year is it, 2k hrs is low for its age I'm guessing it's a 07/08 tier 2? When it's a manual shuttle, the new clutch should last another 3k hours easily. If it's a tier 3 dyna 4 i be wondering why the clutch is gone. Lots of 5455's doing heavy work good strong tractor.

I would go with the 5455, but when it is manual shuttle the clutch will need doing every 2/3,000 hrs on loader work.
It would be well able for 2 bales.

I'd also be going for the MF. If it has a manual shuttle there is also a chance it could be the 16 speed Speedshift model I think.

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the JX versus JXU, the JX had short clutch life too if I recall correctly. They had dry clutches with no wet clutch option.

is the case jx90 a jx90u model because if it aint ,do not even consider it for any heavy duty work .the jxu model would be the same as new holland t5050 and tla models .The jx models same as a nh td models bullt in Turkey .Like you say some issues with 5455 models ,clutch done at 2k hours ???? .I would say keep looking

I knew of a TD 80 NH. ould fella selling firewood. I wouldn't go for one anyway. A "Yellow pack " NH. More like a Tumosan. Rough around the edges; rust on the castings. Ex UK parks apparently.
Go with the 5455 , or a TL or TS NH.

Why did you sell the 390T ? Sounds like the type of stock tractor you want

MF 5455's with manual shuttles were jumpy tractors with poor clutch life expectancy and even poorer resale values.
The resale in the mf don't be half as bad as that in the case jx. The jx is a very light tractor and Turkish built. There is the world of those mfs about so parts won't be a problem. There a very capable tractor.

If you put this question on the other forum someone will give you the low down on a manual 54 series. Its the shuttle that makes the 54 such a good little tractor ,I have 7k hours on mine and a neightbour has 11k both with shuttles I would hate to drive one with the manual shift.

Thanks for all the replies lads, had a serious think about it last night and decided against both for the time being. It was a very clean tractor but the fact that it was a manual shuttle put me off. It was quoted to me at almost 28k and when I started to mull it over on paper I couldn't justify the price of it when it didn't have the setup that I really wanted on such an investment.

As someone mentioned the clutch seemed to be a bit jumpy but could have been a case of me not being used of it either. The gearbox was a four speed with two buttons on the gearstick for a C / D option and then a crawler / hare option. As for the Case it was a JX model rather than the JXU. I've seen a few around the place but they are a visibly lighter tractor and definitely only made to carry one bale which again I don't feel is enough of a reward for the investment. They're a nice looking tractor for the average bits we'd all be doing, topping, fertiliser, hauling cattle etc. but when I'm spending the guts of 30k on a machine, it's going to be a long term investment and I want it to be something that's capable of doing all the required work as well as having the comforts that will make life easier day to day.

I knew of a TD 80 NH. ould fella selling firewood. I wouldn't go for one anyway. A "Yellow pack " NH. More like a Tumosan. Rough around the edges; rust on the castings. Ex UK parks apparently.
Go with the 5455 , or a TL or TS NH.

Why did you sell the 390T ? Sounds like the type of stock tractor you want

The 390T would hardly be bit for a double bale handler though?

Having had the distinct displeasure of wrenching on one of those case tractors I would advise very strongly against them. There cobbled together make no mistake about that and everything is an afterthought in terms of servicing. Imo there is no contest between it and that MF.

That is my opinion on them too dp. Never seen anything as badly put together for a modern day tractor... The two I worked at didn't even have decals in the cab to tell what the levers etc did!

The 390T would hardly be bit for a double bale handler though?

The answer to That would be it would depend on the bales , size , dry matter etc .
Personally , I don't think a 390 is fit for a double bale handler .
I know of 2 390s that bursted the lift covers . Neither men would have double bale handlers , 1500 kg spreaders or 176 gallon sprayer.
I bursted the lift cover myself on a mk 1 MF 165 . I may have been carrying a bale on a McKenna back loader with grab at the time.

@Mf240 has moved thousands of bales with his 5455 , 2 on a double handler on the back and a single on the front . He would back and forth while you'd think about it .

For 2nd cut bales myself last year , which were baled by a Fusion , so were wrapped in the field , I used a 14 ft x 8 trailer. Put 6 on the bottom , 2 on top , and 1 on the front loader. Happy enough with progress by myself , and easy on the tractor .
Horses for courses.

Back