Kindling

Rathbran

That time of year where the long pants are back on, im sick of using an axe for splitting sticks for kindling, any tips or what do ye use. Anybody use any of the attached and what do people recommend

67A53565-B0A6-4425-85B2-169395A867E8.jpeg0508E74B-8C64-4B0A-A321-4F40203B3A15.jpegCEDADB30-B972-4D2B-8D08-A4343BCF215A.jpegAF7FF974-EA6A-4B2C-8879-0C0F2243F06D.jpeg

Did you ever watch I'm a celebrity get me out of here? The had a handy contraption for splitting logs was a had jack instead of a hydraulic ram, attach like a sectioned quadrant so the wood splits multiple times with 1 push through.

We strip old pallets, then cut them into short lengths with the saw then split with the hatchet but saw this and thought it looked handy, could bolt it to shed wall so your working standing up

Saw that on tiktok the other day was trying to find the screenshot I took of it because it had the link to buy it off Amazon

Think they call them (Stikkan) Norwegian kindling splitters, gonna order one. Like the fact you can mount it to the wall over a bin and drop the sticks in as you go 👌

I have a good stock of dry boards, they are close to 1” thick and we’re being thrown out on a job about 10 years ago, I have enough for another 8 or 10 years. I cut them 9 or 10” long with chainsaw.
I split them with a small axe 12 or 14” handle, the trick is not to drop the axe straight, tilt it at a bit of an angle maybe 15 deg or so away from the board and towards the piece being taken off. That way the axe never sticks.
All splitting is done on a work bench at a comfortable height with boards screwed to the bench to prevent damage to the bench timber. I fly through them, great satisfying job.
Reminds me I must do a batch, 15 crates will get me to Christmas. Then a few hours over the holidays will get me to summer again.

I welded an axe to a bit of channel and use a mallet or lump hammer to hit it, it was done quickly last year, I must make it so it's waist height and guide the kindling down a chute into some form of container. Just find it quicker you don't need to watch the fingers as much.

I have a petrol powered hydraulic kindling maker, you can put 6 inch lengths of flat timber, pallet wood etc stacked several layers high and a ram pushes it through a multi way splitter onto a chute to be bagged. If you had the timber lined up you could fill an IBC with kindling in less than half an hour.

If you have a look on done deal there are usually people selling kindling very cheap in quantity.
I bought a pallet of 80 large bags(larger than shop type) for 2.50 each plus vat a few months ago .it should last me a year or near enough and we have a lot of fires in the glamping site.
I used to get sacks of it cheap if another guy too. A bulk bag is usually cheap from somewhere like a joinery works.
If you want therapeutic work then enjoy,I dont consider it worthwhile for me anyway

I have a machine called a branchlogger; you feed in small branches anything smaller than your wrist; and the end product makes ideal kindling.
Maybe now I’ll finally make money with it!!
It’s an urban tr 75 if anyone wants to google it.

I considered buying a branch logger but the amount of work involved in feeding light branches in to it seemed too much for what it would produce.
The average size one cuts stuff fairly short.
And is limited to a few inches diameter.
Bigger ones are expensive.
You would need to be processing a lot of timber to make it pay
As a form of a wood chipper they might do two jobs in one for someone who has to chip branches anyway

I considered buying a branch logger but the amount of work involved in feeding light branches in to it seemed too much for what it would produce.
The average size one cuts stuff fairly short.
And is limited to a few inches diameter.
Bigger ones are expensive.
You would need to be processing a lot of timber to make it pay
As a form of a wood chipper they might do two jobs in one for someone who has to chip branches anyway
I have to admit , it wasn’t one of my better ideas, to buy the thing; but I have it and I work it. But there’s good machines out there; some will make decent firewood. Ie bigger logs or branches.
Some say there’s more money in kindling than firewood; but it’s not for me.

@Treemover how is this going for you ,i see on another thread here that there is grant aid on wood chippers, haven't got an answer to whether a branch logger is allowable though.
The Bush burning ban is changing the outlook for me.
I have a furnace in the shed heating the house and I think the output from a branch logger would suit it maybe combined with bigger stuff.bad turf has been my fuel of choice thus far.
I think the product from a wood chipper would heat if stored unless the timber was dry first which isn't practical.

@Treemover how is this going for you ,i see on another thread here that there is grant aid on wood chippers, haven't got an answer to whether a branch logger is allowable though.
The Bush burning ban is changing the outlook for me.
I have a furnace in the shed heating the house and I think the output from a branch logger would suit it maybe combined with bigger stuff.bad turf has been my fuel of choice thus far.
I think the product from a wood chipper would heat if stored unless the timber was dry first which isn't practical.
Have a friend with one of those branch loggers, he’d a lot of over grown ditches with a lot of small Salleys and the likes growing. He seems to get one well with it, it’s fast from what I know. I think he mentioned certain types of timber it’ll nearly split the stick in 2 aswell as it chops because of the way it chews it.

Neighbour has a heating system in for a good few years and it uses wood chip, he gathers up plenty of stuff then gets a guy in with a massive chipper on a truck every now and again to do the chipping, it’s a big lump of an engine driving it but I think it’ll chip 2ft sorta size. He has one of those timber moisture meters I think now and will get it chipped once it’s down to a certain percentage. Storing it is the issue I see with it, when the chipper arrives he needs 2 trailers to keep one under the spout whilst he empty’s the other, think he could have 2 bays of a shed for it

Back