Kverneland plough maintenance

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by Jimmyboy, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Jimmyboy

Jimmyboy Active Member

Hi, I use a 4 furrow ed85 and noticed the 4 ball joint knuckles on each leg had slack bolts so I tightened them up but some of the bolts broke in half
    Should I replace all 4 ball sockets or just the ones with the broken bolts seized in?
    Mayby I should replace the whole lot on the plough, not sure.
    Some advice would b much appreciatedCheers

2. gone

gone Well-Known Member

I think that they should always replaced in 4's.
    If the old ones were loose for some time you may need a shim to get the leg perfect again, but they would have had to be loose for a good length.

3. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

It's recommend that you should do all 4 when replacing one as the other 3 will be worn more than the new one,most people dont but that leg wont be sitting on all 4 balls ,used to carry a spare ball or two in the toolbox as could break in the field .but I wouldn't be doing all legs,just the one the ball broke on.

4. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

As the lad's have said replace in fours.

5. Seedsower

Seedsower Well-Known Member

Mike Roche recommended using a die grinder to hone out the socket to accept a new ball properly as the old one would be reduced in size .
    I carry a spare usually and just replace one if it breaks.
    As usual once going again it's forgotten about.
    Probably 2 or 3 per year replaced.
    Changing them around wouldn't be simple as the bolts usually wring in the ball

6. Jimmyboy

Jimmyboy Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I will replace in fours the look at the sockets and what state they r in.

7. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

DA1DF9AC-0363-4BED-8F02-FBA9D3059004.jpeg 3FCF4BA3-8490-4422-8FE1-F9C7D92A5AB4.jpeg E7AFE27A-FF5C-4CAA-8A22-3C811E74BB0E.jpeg Getting the plough ready yesterday and discovered the pivot for the land wheel cracked. Didn’t have time to start dismantling but is it a case of removing the bracket that holds the top of the spring and buffers?
    The inside end of the pivot shaft doesn’t have anything retaining it. Photo of that end not great.

Attached Files:

8. KTM Farmer

I should have said, bought the plough second hand and don’t have parts book? Do KV supply exploded view parts books?

9. Mid cork

Mid cork Well-Known Member

Once you have that bracket off it will come out. I have welded many of them over the years.

KTM Farmer and gone like this.
  10. KTM Farmer

Thanks, @Mid cork that’s what I was hoping. I suppose adding a weld from the inside of the plate to the shaft would cause it to catch when rotating.

11. Mid cork

Mid cork Well-Known Member

Yea you can’t really weld it on the inside. You will just have to gouge it out well on the outside first.

KTM Farmer likes this.
  12. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen them crack there when the spring that slows the fall is not correctly tensioned. The wheel should start to drop as you lower the plough so it will contact the ground as the plough does. I think the wheel dropping down with a bang causes this to crack.

KTM Farmer likes this.
  13. KTM Farmer

Interesting, I will play around with the spring tension when reassembling. It is a nuisance if the wheel drops too late but I can see the benefits of what you are saying, tyre cushions the bounce.

MF30 likes this.