landcruiser alternatives

vanderbadger

well folks
drive a landcruiser, , im not VAT registered and its getting too expensive to change, dont do a huge amount of towing but would still have mart runs and moving cattle about every so often, would use the jeep to go to and from work in normal times but working from home mostly these days, just wondering is the likes of a 4 motion tiguan/kodiaq an alternative for the likes of me, more like a car but would they be able to pull 12x6 box with load of weanling etc
anyone using these types of suvs would be interested to hear are they useful for farmers

Some of them can pull 2.5 ton, it’s just to make sure it’s on the plate. if it’s automatic, make sure the dsg box oil is changed fairly regularly or you’d be into big money in repairs.

well folks
drive a landcruiser, , im not VAT registered and its getting too expensive to change, dont do a huge amount of towing but would still have mart runs and moving cattle about every so often, would use the jeep to go to and from work in normal times but working from home mostly these days, just wondering is the likes of a 4 motion tiguan/kodiaq an alternative for the likes of me, more like a car but would they be able to pull 12x6 box with load of weanling etc
anyone using these types of suvs would be interested to hear are they useful for farmers
We Have a 190 Bhp 4x4 kodiaq. Had an xc90 before that. The xc90 was a different league in terms of it felt tank like (in a good way) and could still press on when driven hard. The kodiaq is grand, very lively but it’s most definitely SUV league and more like a raised up car than that sense you get with a volvo. Haven’t tows anything heavy with a kodiaq but I wouldn’t be expecting great things from it compared to the likes of a proper jeep. Just doesn’t feel like it has the size amd weight to do it in a composed way. Others on here might know better.
the kodiaq at that level of spec was not cheap either but the newer Volvos amd such like are just too expensive for what we need

Tiguan 150hp a sow on juice when trailer is put on it.mate has one for work and often brings smaller demo machine or new ones on it.
Down into low 20s miles per gal

I amin the same story always had land cruisers. But they are after getting very expensive. Current one is 07 and has over 500k on it and is beginning to feel it .watching out for a 15 business class one but very scarce and expensive

Tiguan here, don't pull with it but I know well a trailer load of weanlings would be out of the question. An 8 foot box with a couple in it maybe but wouldn't like anything much heavier, they really are a car.

Is the tractor out of the question for your haulage and keep the suv for work and tipping around on the farm?

Depends on age of course, but SUV's arent ultra cheap either, and 4wd adds a premium.
They're bloody dear is what they are, ours is the wife's car and she loves it but you'd buy a way higher spec saloon car for the same money, always caught for boot space in them too. Id have a car every time but in fairness we have an ould truck for towing so not caught that way

I think @jd-baz had a Tiguan and moved to a Discovery, discovery would be rated to tow 3.5 tonnes afaik, cattle box and 7 X 320kg would have you knocking around that weight.

Tiguan here, don't pull with it but I know well a trailer load of weanlings would be out of the question. An 8 foot box with a couple in it maybe but wouldn't like anything much heavier, they really are a car.

Is the tractor out of the question for your haulage and keep the suv for work and tipping around on the farm?
hmm often used it years ago but its 20 mile to the mart , wouldnt be the end of the world i suppose

They're bloody dear is what they are, ours is the wife's car and she loves it but you'd buy a way higher spec saloon car for the same money, always caught for boot space in them too. Id have a car every time but in fairness we have an ould truck for towing so not caught that way
I dont like cars anymore tbh, find them too low, like you are sitting on the road.

Have used the 2010 Q5 to bring two mares to the stallion and it goes fine, just need to be handy. Flies with just one and a foal in the box.

Thinking of changing the Q3 for a Skodiaq for a bit of extra space and it means herself can go off with her friend and the chaps without needing two cars.

well folks

most important question is always

" what is your budget " ?

id consider the jeep grand cherokee , good value second hand for what you get , important to always buy no older than 2011 however, they were nothing but trouble prior to this

they are not american at all these days , at least not in europe , italian fiat built engine with german transmission - ZF

well folks
Forgot to add like @Bencroy says above, the kodiaq is heavy on juice just shifting itself about. In reality it is no lighter on juice Than the xc90 was. I expected it to be a lot lighter with newer technology smaller vehicle etc. But no.

Big fan of SUVs here, but not a hope of being safe pulling a 12x6 box of cattle.

2.5t is the outside of what they are capable of. Most are only 2t and you wouldn't be doing it too often, 1.5 regularly is what suits most of them best.

Unless you move to a tractor box I'd say forget it for your needs

most important question is always

" what is your budget " ?

id consider the jeep grand cherokee , good value second hand for what you get , important to always buy no older than 2011 however, they were nothing but trouble prior to this

they are not american at all these days , at least not in europe , italian fiat built engine with german transmission - ZF
i should say my own is a 16 reg business class model
landcruisers are gone into mental money , think approx 87 grand now for business model so was just looking for alternatives
sounds like the suvs not really a runner

Back