landcruiser alternatives

I often thought if you were to get a lorry everytime you bought a few cattle or were moving them, you'd be a long time giving a haulier the price of a jeep and trailer and the diesel and running costs, plus youd have the driver to help load them

2 years ago though
Oops didn't notice that, only stumbled on the article the other day and thought it was recent. Toyota must be making a healthy margin to be able to justify a price drop like that.

You could trade from your business class into a 2 seat commercial (mid 40s new I believe) and have change left over to buy a fresh car.

Alzheimer's creeping in, yep it was a Touraeg, what would they be rated to tow ?
3.5T and the boss of it.

I'd be looking for a nice V6 Amarok, well worth driving one. They don't drive like a standard crew cab and you would have loads of power and a nice auto box

3.5T and the boss of it.

I'd be looking for a nice V6 Amarok, well worth driving one. They don't drive like a standard crew cab and you would have loads of power and a nice auto box
amaroks are gone of market i think, no new ones online in any of garages, i like them though, that v6 engine must be something, like the ranger raptor also, not as powerful as vw but supposed to v comfortable

Big fan of SUVs here, but not a hope of being safe pulling a 12x6 box of cattle.

2.5t is the outside of what they are capable of. Most are only 2t and you wouldn't be doing it too often, 1.5 regularly is what suits most of them best.

Unless you move to a tractor box I'd say forget it for your need

I‘d say a Tiguan would be handy for an 8 x 5 or a 10 x 5 box to hold a cow and calf or two or three weanlings. Handy trips to the mart

if you have a trailer for the tractor for moving stock or selling in larger Numbers - would cut out the need for a landcruiser?

I‘d say a Tiguan would be handy for an 8 x 5 or a 10 x 5 box to hold a cow and calf or two or three weanlings. Handy trips to the mart

if you have a trailer for the tractor for moving stock or selling in larger Numbers - would cut out the need for a landcruiser?
ya you could get by alright but i suppose jeep and trailer is very handy for smaller loads or quick trips

amaroks are gone of market i think, no new ones online in any of garages, i like them though, that v6 engine must be something, like the ranger raptor also, not as powerful as vw but supposed to v comfortable
They are alright, it might not suit but the last of them should be coming off lease and PCP, a few nice fresh ones still pop up. The V6 is nice and surprisingly economical. Make sure you go for an auto in a ranger (it might be standard on a raptor), I found the manual very agricultural and it annoyed me.

They are alright, it might not suit but the last of them should be coming off lease and PCP, a few nice fresh ones still pop up. The V6 is nice and surprisingly economical. Make sure you go for an auto in a ranger (it might be standard on a raptor), I found the manual very agricultural and it annoyed me.
I like them too (Amarok) , but the money is very strong on them

Last edited:
ya raptor all auto, wouldnt go back to manual now anyway

The new tiguan is up to 2.5t rated, assume the kodiak is similar.

The sorento and santa fe are both 2.5t too.

The 7 seater tiguan is 4 inches longer wheelbase.

Could be a nice combo with a 10x5

3.5T and the boss of it.

What‘s the 2.0 engine like in them?

I do a lot of towing and currently running a 2006 Ml280. Lovely tow car but tax is a pain. I’ve also replaced both rear springs with heavy duty ones as a result of cracking ..!,

Have been looking at a lot of these latest batch of suv with 2.5T towing capacity to update the jeep a few years. Tiguans,X3,Q5,Kodiaq etc. A lot of them are very light vehicles unladen so the tail can wag the dog. Also their tongue weight is generally low, ie mark1 xc90 is only 90kg allowed. Most are 100kg. This is the weight the hitch exerts downwards on your towbar. Fine with a caravan or flat bed but if you have animals behind which move around, this pitching up and down can cause you to exceed the nose weight limit which cause you to exceed your rear axle limits. Not good and if they’re bouncing on the rear you can be sure your nose is up in the air and the steering will be too light. Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento are left field options which work I think as they’re a heavier vehicle.
the loading her up and taking her handy doesn’t cut it anymore lads, you get caught offside or overweight, wrong licence etc insurance company will be leaving you with the bill so be careful, things are changing in this country

what makes a good tow car....

heavy vehicle + high tow capacity + high nose weight

You have to compromise somewhere. Ideally if looking for >3000kg, good tow capacity and greater than 130kg nose weight, your looking at Bmw X5,X6,X7 Audi Q7, Vw Touareg and Amarok, Merc GLE,GLS, Jeep Wrangler, Pajero, Landcruiser, and of course just about any Land Rover you can think of

I’ve only had one motor that was 3t tow and they uprated them to 3.5t while I owned it,I wouldn’t dream of having any less than 3.5t tow.

Back