Landcruiser engine recon

Ozzy Scott

Looking at reconing an engine in my landcruiser, found some iron fillings in the sump and filter at the weekend. My regular man said minimum of 4k would be the cost and maybe allot more. A local lad had this crowd take out and fit a recon Landcruiser engine for 3k. Anyone ever used them, or know of them. http://donyengineering.ie/supply-of-engines/. Or someone else that they could recommend? Engine is still ticking over perfect so hope damage isnt bad

Looking at reconing an engine in my landcruiser, found some iron fillings in the sump and filter at the weekend. My regular man said minimum of 4k would be the cost and maybe allot more. A local lad had this crowd take out and fit a recon Landcruiser engine for 3k. Anyone ever used them, or know of them. http://donyengineering.ie/supply-of-engines/. Or someone else that they could recommend? Engine is still ticking over perfect so hope damage isnt bad
Maybe open it up to see the damage? Or an engine from a breaker might do. Generally a tough engine but regular oil changes with the correct oil is a must.

Buying from us you can be sure you are getting a quality engine at the best possible price. To back up our excellence of standard and for your peace of mind, all engines we supply are covered by 90 days warranty.

90 days does not inspire confidence tbh.

Maybe open it up to see the damage? Or an engine from a breaker might do. Generally a tough engine but regular oil changes with the correct oil is a must.

There is nearly 600k kms on the clock, so she hasnt done bad to get this far. Looks like fileings from shell bearings. I was hoping since we might have got it on time, too much damage might not have done. My engine man says otherwise

Buying from us you can be sure you are getting a quality engine at the best possible price. To back up our excellence of standard and for your peace of mind, all engines we supply are covered by 90 days warranty.

I hadnt seen it was only a 90 day warranty. What would you expect on a full reconned engine. 12 months would be very strong?

Looked into some of the cheaper engine rebuilds over the last few years. The advice from a few people I got was that they're generally done without much or any machining, maybe a crank polish and head skim.

And for a lot of situations that's fine. Start with a decent engine and freshen it up. But a couple of mechanics I spoke to reckoned that a breaker engine is generally cheaper and generally comes with as good a guarantee as a cheaper rebuild.

Something to be aware of with your engine is that the turbo is likely to be suffering too as the metal in the oil will be eating its bearings/seals :(

I would be very slow to go past my local man to do it, but if starting price of 4k plus in and out, I would be slow to spend that much on this jeep and would be better off looking for another at 8k

There is nearly 600k kms on the clock, so she hasnt done bad to get this far. Looks like fileings from shell bearings. I was hoping since we might have got it on time, too much damage might not have done. My engine man says otherwise
If it has that much on the clock , what's the body like underneath and the rest of the jeep.bound to be alot of natural wear and tear.i would be inclined to move here on cause it will be a money trap from now on.

If it has that much on the clock , what's the body like underneath and the rest of the jeep.bound to be alot of natural wear and tear.i would be inclined to move here on cause it will be a money trap from now on.

Like any 15yr old jeep, its well minded, overworked, but through the test over last few months. Age doesn't really make much difference in testing nowadays, maintenance does.

Anything I will replace it with, will be over 10yrs old aswell so much like for like. If I buy another, I will have 2 spares and 2 running.

I would be expecting the same tbh. If they are doing everything properly and are confident in their work, it shouldnt be a major ask.
My usual man, wouldnt be far from you Mike, will look at it for 300 and do up a price but said talking a min of 4k.

His work would be excellent

Got one done here last year.
3k for top to bottom rebuild .Injectors and pump done ,new oil pump , water pump timing belt etc.

Turbo was c.400 to recondition .Done clutch and pressure plate when it was split.Think about 300 euro for them .Filters oil and coolant maybe 150 euro .
Needed high pressure sensor in the fuel rail.Think about 60 second hand for full rail with sensors .
Took day to get it out and day and a half to put it back in and get up and running .
Biggest job was getting someone who would do it in a reasonable timeframe .

Engine had locked solid due to oil pickup clogging.Should have copped it sooner as oil light flickered a few times over the previous couple of weeks.
Forgot had to get new pick up mesh as well .Think about a tenner.
Wagon has about 400k on it (3.0 d4d 6 speed)
Worth doing as replacing it with engine gone would be easily 10k plus and at that only coming up a few years to something maybe no better.

Priced those mentioned.Think its part exchange with only block done ie no head etc.
Simple enough to take out and put in full engine .Done it here on floor of shed with loader to lift it out and in.
Lot of wires and sensors but very straightforward.
Only needed a helping hand to line up clutch when dropping it in otherwise one man job .
Changed all diff and gearbix oils at the time and put new seals in front diffs.Totally dry and could have been that way a long time as seals totally gone and oil just poured out when i went to fill them .

Got one done here last year.
3k for top to bottom rebuild .Injectors and pump done ,new oil pump , water pump timing belt etc.

Turbo was c.400 to recondition .Done clutch and pressure plate when it was split.Think about 300 euro for them .Filters oil and coolant maybe 150 euro .
Needed high pressure sensor in the fuel rail.Think about 60 second hand for full rail with sensors .
Took day to get it out and day and a half to put it back in and get up and running .
Biggest job was getting someone who would do it in a reasonable timeframe .

Engine had locked solid due to oil pickup clogging.Should have copped it sooner as oil light flickered a few times over the previous couple of weeks.
Forgot had to get new pick up mesh as well .Think about a tenner.
Wagon has about 400k on it (3.0 d4d 6 speed)
Worth doing as replacing it with engine gone would be easily 10k plus and at that only coming up a few years to something maybe no better.
Who done it for you?

Roberts in Clonegal .The one who used to get the bad reviews !!!!
Have 20k plus on it since and running like a dream .

Took about 3 weeks from when I dropped it down .Anyone else at the time was telling me a month plus before they could even look at it .
Not ideal when you need it every day .
Priced second hand engines and they are pretty scarce .Everything was c.2k plus and everyone had the usual "150k or less" on it .Mostly piles of sh1te I figure but the demand exceeds supply big time .Rang almost every breaker in Ireland ,North and South and almost impossible to get anything decent or even anything at all .
Not every engine will do.
One lad telling me Hi Lux engine will work with just changing a few bits over,next lad says no way it will work .

No idea on what cost of getting someone to do it as done everything myself re. taking out and fitting .Got turbo done in Mountrath .Was in a poor enough state .Didn't get rad. done but it was ok.
Used full can of thinners flushing out the intercooler allright .
Fiddliest bit was putting turbo back together and also forgetting to put the earth strap back (the one on passenger side bolted between engine and gearbox .Was wondering why starter wouldn't turn till I seen it .

Last edited:
Yip, always got on well with his work
Found the same. Very good. In our case we took the engine back in pieces amd reassembled ourselves. But others get them to reassemble the engine - I suppose where the customer is looking for a warranty.

Have you tried your local dealer for a price. It may be a good starting block for pricing away and something to bench mark against.

That's 3 months, I would have thought it all right on a used engine, some brand new machines and tractors would only be 1 or 2 years,

I suppose the danger with giving an engine in for a recon job, is you could get well get a phone call with more bad news.
I know a lad that gave a 390 engine in, and it ran into
That's 3 months, I would have thought it all right on a used engine, some brand new machines and tractors would only be 1 or 2 years,
for a S/h engine for €1000 or €1500 maybe, but a €3000 ‘reconditioned’ engine I think 3 months isn’t great

Back