Lean2 width

Blackwater boy

I have a round shed and I want to put a lean 2 off 1 side of it, before I get somone who will do the job in for a look I want to get an idea of what size I can go for. The pillar it will be bolted to it 485cms from the top of the rsj where the current timber is to the concrete where it enters the ground, firstly how wide can I go and secondly what is the max height pillar I can use from ground level to top of pillar and I need as much roof height as possible so what I kind of mean is how flat would I get away with? Pic attached for an example 53143365-F39F-458B-82BD-34B1C4F58444.jpeg

I have a round shed and I want to put a lean 2 off 1 side of it, before I get somone who will do the job in for a look I want to get an idea of what size I can go for. The pillar it will be bolted to it 485cms from the top of the rsj where the current timber is to the concrete where it enters the ground, firstly how wide can I go and secondly what is the max height pillar I can use from ground level to top of pillar and I need as much roof height as possible so what I kind of mean is how flat would I get away with? Pic attached for an example View attachment 109503
You will have an awful job to get it to stay standing at that angle

You will have an awful job to get it to stay standing at that angle

I'd agree with this point .

Looks an eyesore ,so flat .
I always call that " a cottage Plotters roof " . Flat to save a foot of sheeting , putting a decent slope .
12 degrees OK. 10 at a pinch. 15 ideal.

Your lean to is going to be awful low at the back in my view.

You need to tell us what width are the RSJ so we can see what width of a shed you can go width

I always call that " a cottage Plotters roof " . Flat to save a foot of sheeting , putting a decent slope .
10 degree one here coming off a 4 metre pillar, looks very flat but only 5 metres wide, access through the end ., how wide have you in mind?

Could you step it up at the start to allow you more slope. I presume it needs to be a minimun height at front

You need to tell us what width are the RSJ so we can see what width of a shed you can go width
The rsj are the normal width whatever that is, what do you mean by low at the back? Where do you call the back?

10 degree one here coming off a 4 metre pillar, looks very flat but only 5 metres wide, access through the end ., how wide have you in mind?
I don’t have anything in mind I’m just wondering is all, access will be in from the right of the pic so it will be in at the lowest point hence I need as much height as possible

Could you step it up at the start to allow you more slope. I presume it needs to be a minimun height at front

What Willy means is ,
Put a stub pillar to the edge of your existing pillar , running up over the roof of your shed , so that the lean-to can be 3 ft higher, than if it came off the top of the pillars as they are . I explain badly .I can take a picture of what we did here , in daylight tomorrow.

I don’t have anything in mind I’m just wondering is all, access will be in from the right of the pic so it will be in at the lowest point hence I need as much height as possible
How much roof height do you need? Once the RSJs are strong enough you could do as @Mf240 said and step up the roof with a bracket.

I replaced a 10° roof on a lean to and went 15° over a longer span on the shed builders recommendation, you could be in bother if its snows unless you have someone work out the maths properly.

Can you not make the eves of your shed the low side of the lean-to and have the high side facing the way your going to work the shed.
I’d rather not as it will be very high on the open side then, that side faces south so that’s where the weather comes from here.

The rsj are the normal width whatever that is, what do you mean by low at the back? Where do you call the back?

I'd call the back where your new RSJ is going but understand that is what you mean by front.

A 12 degree angle is a one foot drop in 7.5ft roughly so for a 20ft leanto you are looking at a height of about 13ft from your pads, allow for floor etc and it is around 12ft high.

A 15 degree angle is a one foot drop in every 6 feet so your 20ft leanto is about 12.5ft from your pads and so on.

We have 1 here at 4 or 5 degrees, was a factory we took down.

I have a round shed and I want to put a lean 2 off 1 side of it, before I get somone who will do the job in for a look I want to get an idea of what size I can go for. The pillar it will be bolted to it 485cms from the top of the rsj where the current timber is to the concrete where it enters the ground, firstly how wide can I go and secondly what is the max height pillar I can use from ground level to top of pillar and I need as much roof height as possible so what I kind of mean is how flat would I get away with? Pic attached for an example View attachment 109503
You will lose about 450mm straight away from the underside of the timber on the roundroof for the bell cast or curved sheet down onto lean to roof , also 150mm for timber and probably 180mm for your new lean to rafter so your starting height on the side next round roof will leave you 4,070 clearance from floor level.
If you go with 12°pitch on new lean to roof thats 212mm of a rake per metre so for a 6m(20') wide lean to you will lose 1,272mm in height across shed to low side giving clearance of 2,798mm or 9' 4" clearance to underside of rafter on low side.
Hope that helps, bit long winded!

You can regain that 150mm of purlin by running them between the rafters rather than on top. A bit more making in it that way but if height is the number one factor every little helps

Is another round roof out of the question, be more expensive, but nothing as dear as the regret when working in a low lean-to shed.

Or would there be a fall in the ground away for the round roof shed so that you could lower the floor of the new shed

How much space do you have? Would it make sense to add an A roof altogether when you're at it the same width as the round roof. You'd be happier in the long run
No not enough space to do that, I was looking for a quick cheap fix for straw and some machines it will not be for stock, it’s in an outside farm.

No not enough space to do that, I was looking for a quick cheap fix for straw and some machines it will not be for stock, it’s in an outside farm.

A low lean-to is a false economy.for that job . Sheeting, timber bolts etc will cost the same , whether its high enough to put 2 , 3, 4 or even 5.bales high . 4 ft of extra pillar in each pillar , will cost you a lot less than having to put on an extra span or.2 , to hold the same.number of bales .

I gave years like that , looking for the cheapest option . And in a couple of years building another , because that wasn't big enough .

We put legs like this onto a round roof shed to gain height and just dropped a sheet to the gutter which can be cleaned from inside.i think you need a minimum of 13 feet on the low side for clearance and to get 3 bales high either round or square.

Attachments

• 16561519795144157418059912336251.jpg
    16561519795144157418059912336251.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 145
Back