Leave running or turn off

Danielk

What do people do. Loading and spreading dung. From the time I have the spreader full to the time I am back we are talking maybe 10 mins. Would ye leave the loader running or turn on and off?

What do people do. Loading and spreading dung. From the time I have the spreader full to the time I am back we are talking maybe 10 mins. Would ye leave the loader running or turn on and off?
Leave the loader running. It wouldn't use a cup of diesel each time and it's better for the engine imo.

An interesting question.

I had a lad spreading dung for me about 5 years ago . The JCB loader , which the owner was driving himself , was turned off the minute the spreader moved off , unless he had a bit of scraping up to do . I commented that diesel must be very expensive.
" Nothing to do with it .
Every hour that appears on the dash , Maurice will look for €18 , when change time comes around. "

Diesels really hate being started and stopped best just too leave it idling for 10-15 mins. Should leave it idling for 10 mins before shut off too, too let the engine and turbo cool properly. If its an engine with dpf or urea just make sure that every day or two if its idling a lot give it a good hard work out at high rpm/load for 10-20 mins that will help keep the particulate filter and urea injector in good condition and help prevent problems with them. You can achieve this artificially by just driving in a gear that is a bit low for the speed your going.

I'd switch it off.
A fan belt or something stupid break and she'd be in shit when you land back
I would also be afraid of someone with alzhimers or on drugs getting up on it . If it starts without issue I would switch it off .
I switched off a combine to clear a choke of clay and she would not start because I had blown the fuse trying to reverse the neck .

I would also be afraid of someone with alzhimers or on drugs getting up on it . If it starts without issue I would switch it off .
I switched off a combine to clear a choke of clay and she would not start because I had blown the fuse trying to reverse the neck .
Prayers were recited...

I do turn it off only a Man said it to me that your hardly stopping and starting it all day. I be worried of a fire or any problem when left unattended. Reckon it’s just safer to be stopped
Definitely would stop a machine if out of view. If in view maybe leave idling until it reaches working temp then stop each time.

As above I wouldn't leave a machine running unattended for all the reasons mentioned, particularly when it's my machine on someone else's property. If anything went wrong it's the first question that would be asked and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I was driving our digger a month ago loading my father driving the dumper. The father went across away across the field unloaded and came back when I noticed a black spot on the muck, the dumper was leaking engine oil out of a pinhole rust hole on the oil filter(not a old filter either), the father never seen it on the dumper. I always turn off digger or dumper if I’m loading myself for that very reason

Personally things like leaking filters or hoses etc, or belts snapping shouldn't be an issue as that is what your daily checks are supposed too be for at the start of the day before the equipment gets used. I can see why and wouldn't myself, in some else's yard leave a machine running unsupervised or if there were any possibility of people interfering with it, but in my own yard if I had one yes I'd leave it because I know the 99% of what is going to be happening there while I'm away. As for glazing shouldn't be an issue as long as the engine is worked hard for the period its in use after its been idling and is either the same time in length or longer than the idle period.

Our piping man would leave the 7530jd ticking over when there out gathering or rolling out pipes.he could be 40 mins from coming or going.
If it was mine id be turning her off.good few idling hours on the clock after a spring pumping slurry over a few years when it comes to trading in

Our piping man would leave the 7530jd ticking over when there out gathering or rolling out pipes.he could be 40 mins from coming or going.
If it was mine id be turning her off.good few idling hours on the clock after a spring pumping slurry over a few years when it comes to trading in
That's a bit long to be leaving the machine idling, I don't know if it's possible but having a timer fitted too shut down the engine after 10 mins or so shouldn't impossible too fit if it detects the engine idling at a certain rpm for that length of time especially older machines.

could have been some time ago but i think i read somewhere of a afresh tractor that when plugged into a laptop had recorded over half its hours were spent at idle, cant remember the hours though but as said it would add up at trade in time, unless like us where it is to death us do part with most things, or else they have reached the plateau where the condition means as much as hour clock reading for trade in.

A mechanic told me in these situations to turn off the machine, especially if it has a dpf filter. You don't get as clean a burn at idle and risk partially blocking the filter. So the machine would have to do more regens

That's a bit long to be leaving the machine idling, I don't know if it's possible but having a timer fitted too shut down the engine after 10 mins or so shouldn't impossible too fit if it detects the engine idling at a certain rpm for that length of time especially older machines.
Hgv’s regular have this fitted,my old milk tanker would stop during collecting,only on good days though.😃

Back