Lely lotus 600 COMBI

pacar

Neighbour bought Lely Lotus 600 combi that I hope to borrow. Not used yet but the left hand side tines have been battering the windrow gate and obviously are a few inches too close to it. On measuring, the frames holding both left side gates is shorter than on the right side frame. I think that the gate frame is the wrong one for this model. Cutting and inserting a few inches of box section would solve the issue I suppose. Previous owner said he didn’t windrow with it though he obviously tried.

Neighbour bought Lely Lotus 600 combi that I hope to borrow. Not used yet but the left hand side tines have been battering the windrow gate and obviously are a few inches too close to it. On measuring, the frames holding both left side gates is shorter than on the right side frame. I think that the gate frame is the wrong one for this model. Cutting and inserting a few inches of box section would solve the issue I suppose. Previous owner said he didn’t windrow with it though he obviously tried.
Its unlikely the wrong gates were supplied with it, are they fitted to the wrong holes? Think its possible to mix something up as I marked mine before I removed them once.

For rowing the tines are supposed to be moved inwards on the tine holder as well if it is your first time using

Everything matches, same holes, etc but the length of the box section from which the gates hang is shorter on the left side. Maybe they were added some time after purchase but not a matching set. My uncle had 2 new haybobs when they first appeared. One worked perfectly and the other a disaster. After all experts had a look someone noticed it had 2 left side reels!!!

For rowing the tines are supposed to be moved inwards on the tine holder as well if it is your first time using
Checked that tines are all set for tedding. It doesn’t make sense that the length of the box section holding the gates is shorter than the n the left.

The outer arms are 5 inches shorter than the inner arms on both sides on mine.

The outer arms are 5 inches shorter than the inner arms on both sides on mine.
Bingo. Got it sorted as you said but not before having both right gates on the left. We had the longer arms on the outside.

One gate has the tube that runs along the ground bent 5 inches upwards meaning it has less clearance on the times when working but that’s an easy fix.

A couple of bolt holes in the plate that attaches the gates to the frame are worn and allowing both gates to drop too far when lifted at the headland. A spot of weld and new bolts will sort that.

How did you find it for rowing?

Thanks for the help

Bingo. Got it sorted as you said but not before having both right gates on the left. We had the longer arms on the outside.

One gate has the tube that runs along the ground bent 5 inches upwards meaning it has less clearance on the times when working but that’s an easy fix.

A couple of bolt holes in the plate that attaches the gates to the frame are worn and allowing both gates to drop too far when lifted at the headland. A spot of weld and new bolts will sort that.

How did you find it for rowing?

Thanks for the help
It will row perfectly if set perfectly. Change the wheel height to a lower setting, set tines in inner position, lengthen toplink so tines are sweeping an arc of 120 degrees in front of each reel and run PTO at 540. Slow down ground speed a gear. I can show you the correct wheel height if you need with a photo.

It will row perfectly if set perfectly. Change the wheel height to a lower setting, set tines in inner position, lengthen toplink so tines are sweeping an arc of 120 degrees in front of each reel and run PTO at 540. Slow down ground speed a gear. I can show you the correct wheel height if you need with a photo.
Brilliant. A photo would be great, no time for experimenting in the field with rain threatening.

Did you have any issue with the gates too close to the ground when lifted at the headland particularly with the top link lengthened for rowing. I’m thinking the rubber bump stops could be raised a bit with spacers if it is an issue.

Brilliant. A photo would be great, no time for experimenting in the field with rain threatening.

Did you have any issue with the gates too close to the ground when lifted at the headland particularly with the top link lengthened for rowing. I’m thinking the rubber bump stops could be raised a bit with spacers if it is an issue.
Yes, the gates do hang a bit low when risen on the headlands. My cure was fit the toplink to the lower hole on the tractors end and this will give extra clearance when lifted.
When your gates are fitted you may find the rows are just a meter wide, not enough to fill the baler chamber. I pointed this out to the Lely rep who came out to set mine up and he sheepishly said that it was a problem that there wasn’t enough room for the gates to go wider and R&D hadn’t found a solution yet. I showed him a cure very quickly, I bent each tine on the gates carefully out 4 inches by hand at the frames edge, now it leaves 1.4 meter rows neatly. He was a bit embarrassed when he saw this.

Could you put up a photo I bought a new set of gates for mine and never got it rowing right Tia

Yes, the gates do hang a bit low when risen on the headlands. My cure was fit the toplink to the lower hole on the tractors end and this will give extra clearance when lifted.
When your gates are fitted you may find the rows are just a meter wide, not enough to fill the baler chamber. I pointed this out to the Lely rep who came out to set mine up and he sheepishly said that it was a problem that there wasn’t enough room for the gates to go wider and R&D hadn’t found a solution yet. I showed him a cure very quickly, I bent each tine on the gates carefully out 4 inches by hand at the frames edge, now it leaves 1.4 meter rows neatly. He was a bit embarrassed when he saw this.
You can’t beat the advice of a user.

As for row width, this one has two holes for the spring arm to choose a narrow, wider or widest row. Maybe added since you bought but haven’t tried it yet so times may still need bending.

Thanks for all the info.

You can’t beat the advice of a user.

As for row width, this one has two holes for the spring arm to choose a narrow, wider or widest row. Maybe added since you bought but haven’t tried it yet so times may still need bending.

Thanks for all the info.
There are two holes on mine also, the widest setting was one meter!

Could you put up a photo I bought a new set of gates for mine and never got it rowing right Tia
Having just found out how to fit them you must check that the 2 outer arms are the short ones. You will find that the top box section is 5 inches shorter on those those 2 arms.
Also check that as you push the arm onto the pin on the frame the bit you are pushing on is turned the correct way - one way mounts the gate too close to the rotor times. Turn it the other way, the correct way, and it moves the gate backwards away from the rotor.

If you are correct, there is a plate welded on the underside of the arms that rests on the rubber bump stops when you lift the machine. If the gates are not in the correct position these plates will not rest on the rubbers.

There are two holes on mine also, the widest setting was one meter!
Thanks. I spent 2 hours with my neighbour getting it sorted with your help. He doesn’t believe in modifications but I’ll have a serious chat with him in the morning.

Thanks. I spent 2 hours with my neighbour getting it sorted with your help. He doesn’t believe in modifications but I’ll have a serious chat with him in the morning.
If bending the tines they need to be 4 inches wider each at the plastic tipped end of the tines. But bend then at the frame edge a little bit at a time.

A bit pathetic that the brains in the R&D couldn't have come up with that solution.
You'd have to wonder if they were really asked.

A bit pathetic that the brains in the R&D couldn't have come up with that solution.
You'd have to wonder if they were really asked.
Agree, a one meter swarth is not acceptable for making solid well shaped bales. In fairness to the rep he was excellent with info and how to set the machine but sometimes you need to look outside the box and we as farmers tend to do this more often than fully trained technicians.

Here's a picture from underneath, the pin is currently in rowing position. You should be able to make our the letter R in black pointing to the hole for rowing up and the letter T for tedding.
20210609_093757.jpg

Back