Lessons learnt from the 2019/2020 cropping year

Harvest 2020, which began for us on the 26th of July, has been completed, we cut the last of the beans on Sunday, 27th of September. We got the bean ground sowed with wheat on Sunday and Monday.
It’s good to be finished and have a
start made, on next years crops, we got some winter rape in too.
There’s no damage done on land, got some more slurry out yesterday, a mix of cattle finishing and pig slurry, more to do and dung also.
There’s a few loads of straw to deliver.
Any and every opportunity from now on will be taken to plough and one pass, if we get a few dry days we may get to do some more min till wheat.

Lessons learned, as with previous years and in common with many other members on here, rotation, break crops and organics manures are helping us to improve the land and the bottom line.

Getting in some winter rape is essential for us as our break crop options are limited,
unfortunately much as I like spring beans, their place here, is being questioned again, it’s too hard to get them planted early up here, variable yields, the jury remains out on spring beans.
We’ve always liked winter oats and will continue to grow it, spring oats was not a crop we grew in the past, however our Isabel oats yielded ok this year and We would certainly grow some more of it, in preference to spring barley.

Last edited:
Weed control is what caught me out this year. Fumitory was a big problem Cameo Max just didn’t control it properly. I had to back in with Zapar in a fair bit of the spring barley and as is nearly always the case with a job like that I should have done more of it. I had a bit of problem with chickweed as well but I think that was because I went in too early with the weed spray on some of it.

Seems the earlier spring barley is the better yeilding around here
Plan in 2022 is get it in early March if possible

I finished baling straw (and silage I think) on the afternoon of September 7th in glorious sunshine, it was late sown spring oats that had been cut a week before but the straw was very green. I was remarking to myself that it was a great novelty, it was often in the dark in October when I finished. I was talking to a machinery dealer yesterday about life in general and how quickly the years go around, I bought a tractor off him in 2008, I looked it up last night out of curiosity and it was delivered on September 16th that year. It crossed my mind that I still had 80 acres of spring barley to cut at that stage that year, it was rented ground and I remember distinctly drawing the grain out of it with that tractor. Spring wheat went into October in 2012, some of the straw was never baled in the end, I got sick of the whole thing and chopped the last 20 or 25 acres.

I don’t know if this is a lesson learned or not I could be eating my words next year my process for winter crops last year I didn’t burn off any ground prior to sowing and I sown barely first week of October in okayish conditions, sticky sod and spots I had to leave because it was too wet, a lot of the scraws from the spring sowing brought back up, rolled one field and I really shouldn’t and probably a bit late with the autumn herbicide.

This year I will be sowing tomorrow so a week earlier but soil is actually nice and dry so hopefully it will be a help, everything is burned off nearly 3 weeks and it’s all well dead, plan is to send out the plough and then the one pass an hour later, have a front press so I might be able firm up the ground a bit better, fertiliser out as soon as the field is sown (straight K of course 👀) that will be on top of the seedbed. The following day or week if weather allows full rate of tower pre-emergence. Leave roller in the shed.

Has anyone any faults or improvements for my system? Was disappointed with my Winter barley this year I think poor establishment and preparation had a lot to do with it. I would like to till in fert but I don’t think I can.

I don’t know if this is a lesson learned or not I could be eating my words next year my process for winter crops last year I didn’t burn off any ground prior to sowing and I sown barely first week of October in okayish conditions, sticky sod and spots I had to leave because it was too wet, a lot of the scraws from the spring sowing brought back up, rolled one field and I really shouldn’t and probably a bit late with the autumn herbicide.

This year I will be sowing tomorrow so a week earlier but soil is actually nice and dry so hopefully it will be a help, everything is burned off nearly 3 weeks and it’s all well dead, plan is to send out the plough and then the one pass an hour later, have a front press so I might be able firm up the ground a bit better, fertiliser out as soon as the field is sown (straight K of course 👀) that will be on top of the seedbed. The following day or week if weather allows full rate of tower pre-emergence. Leave roller in the shed.

Has anyone any faults or improvements for my system? Was disappointed with my Winter barley this year I think poor establishment and preparation had a lot to do with it. I would like to till in fert but I don’t think I can.
Nothing wrong with that plan. If soil conditions and time/machinery allow a run of the roller in front of the onepass is a big help for barley.

I’d prefer to put the fertiliser out ahead of the drill, and as mentioned a firm seedbed suits barley. If I thought I had the weather window I’d leave a day or 2 between ploughing and sowing, but it’s definitely not the time of year to get caught being too brave!

Ploughed mine couple of weeks ago
Rolled it yesterday, spread 360kg/acre of fibrophos on it tonight
Waiting on seed now

I’d prefer to put the fertiliser out ahead of the drill, and as mentioned a firm seedbed suits barley. If I thought I had the weather window I’d leave a day or 2 between ploughing and sowing, but it’s definitely not the time of year to get caught being too brave!
Ya I was thinking the same just don’t think it will be possible to get it out before drill is problem

Nothing wrong with that plan. If soil conditions and time/machinery allow a run of the roller in front of the onepass is a big help for barley.
Have to agree with @gone front presses don't do enough for winter barley. I would prefer to roll before than after

Back