Lidl / Aldi Offers

I was admiring a Teng tool set the other day at about £80 odd. Might spend yet.
If they are going to be used by everyone and brought around in tractors then the Aldi/Lidl ones are great, but if used mainly by you and in the workshop then slightly better quality tools are the way to go.
Here's the 10% Halfords discount

If they are going to be used by everyone and brought around in tractors then the Aldi/Lidl ones are great, but if used mainly by you and in the workshop then slightly better quality tools are the way to go.
Priced in sterling but a very fine set nonetheless

Last edited:
Reactions: AYF
If it was the last shop on earth I'd walk past halfords, worst shop in the world.
You should check out some of the dash cam footage from cars in their service centres in the UK on YouTube, the biggest shock tho, is people actually bring their cars to a Halfords service centre.

The half-inch drive sockets start at 17mm anything smaller is 3/8 drive.

Agree with gone, they're grand if not being used much, going out on a machine or the like but for a workshop they wont stand up to massive use.

I've loads of them and as I wear out a cheapo it gets replaced with something better, but loads of the cheap stuff survives too

I got this set in Lidl about five years ago and it would get a fair bit of use . I would use the long 17mm on the windy gun because it is thin walled and fits in a tight spot on the Horsch. I think all the sockets are original and if they are not it because they got mixed up with other ones on a job.
Actually on reflection the 10mm got burst being hammered onto a long grease nipple .

Attachments

• 22A7D226-36FC-4968-8515-55623B7A3E06.jpeg
    22A7D226-36FC-4968-8515-55623B7A3E06.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DB42D119-19ED-4951-ABD1-074083653ED0.jpeg
    DB42D119-19ED-4951-ABD1-074083653ED0.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DC71F28C-3451-4368-8DFD-2A914384DC6A.jpeg
    DC71F28C-3451-4368-8DFD-2A914384DC6A.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 78
I was going to say it's a pity they dont seem to do the powerfix profi ones anymore. I know two lads with similar experience to you but I'd say you have them more than five years, haven't seen them in a long time

Personally I think their spanners and sockets are poorish and only suitable for DIY.
If using in a workshop I would advise spending a little bit more and going with Halford's advanced range. They do deals regularly and they are hard to beat on quality at a price.
The Halfords trade discount card is useful if you can get it. Allows you to check prices and reserve online for pickup in store.

Have a set of the powerfix profi for the past 5 or 6 years. The only victim from the set was the ratchet and that broke 2 months ago

Powerfix/Lidl sockets are surprisingly good for the money have a couple sets. The ractchets are the only real part that break. And one of the big pluses about them is your not too worried when you need to grind one down to fit somewhere or weld ot to something like you are with an expensive sets. I would have to recommend the halfords advanced sockets though have a set and are good. The lidl spanners arent great to be honest the open ends tend to spread quite easily on them. Still have couple sets with a few thrown in tractors and the like to get you out of a hole.

Yeah no problem to it. They are 400nm torque I think. Great for someone that fixes the odd thing and odd stubborn bolt
It'd be grand for handy stuff close to electricity, think the milwaukee puts out around 1850nm torque.

It'd be grand for handy stuff close to electricity, think the milwaukee puts out around 1850nm torque.
I see that quoted a good bit, but I very much doubt it, I have Hikoki 36V 1/2" that claims 1,000Nm and 1,200Nm in reverse and it just eats the centers out of even good quality impact sockets.
1,850Nm is 148,000 Newtons at the 1/2" connection between the tool and socket, you would need some high quality sockets to stand that.
I firmly believe that once you get above 800Nm you need to go at least 3/4".

Picked up a flux core mig welder in lidl yesterday. I have never welded with mig. Found it very easy to set it up and it lays a very neat and clean weld even though I would be a novice. I have a small project for it in the coming weeks and I have no doubt that it will be perfect and will get more use beyond that.

It came with about half a kg of flux core wire and I need to get more. I was wondering if it a 0.9 kg roll of wire would fit into it or do I have to stick with the smaller rolls?

Picked up a flux core mig welder in lidl yesterday. I have never welded with mig. Found it very easy to set it up and it lays a very neat and clean weld even though I would be a novice. I have a small project for it in the coming weeks and I have no doubt that it will be perfect and will get more use beyond that.

It came with about half a kg of flux core wire and I need to get more. I was wondering if it a 0.9 kg roll of wire would fit into it or do I have to stick with the smaller rolls?

Does flux cored produce slag?

Back