Liquid fertiliser

You only drive up and down fields...I'm not going to get drawn into name calling.
I don't do emojis.

Results from replicated trials or peer reviewed published articles please.
For someone who doesn't lower himself to name calling you're quite the master of the veiled insult, I do apologise for my inferiority and will try to remember to doff my cap when I'm handing over the required information.

It's a big price for a very limited machine, it will only spread very fine lime or fertilisers that will dissolve in cold water which pretty much rules out everything except urea. They're also talking about spreading "little and often", I think farmer's want to see less of a contractor around the place and not more. I can't see the system becoming mainstream either, which leaves you with a machine that would be very hard to move on if enough work didn't materialise.

Thanks for the information so far. I think it's really interesting.
Just thinking quietly to myself overnight. You mentioned that the sprayer nozzels used for applying this liquid fertilizer are different so as to apply bigger droplets (am i right?)
Would this product be a useful one for land that has poor access? I mean, I have some hilly land that is often best accessed with the quad. I have a quad sprayer that has a fan nozzle on it and it spreads in large droplets. It could be a useful way of spreading fertilizer on land that is difficult to access with the tractor?

Just thinking quietly to myself overnight. You mentioned that the sprayer nozzels used for applying this liquid fertilizer are different so as to apply bigger droplets (am i right?)
Would this product be a useful one for land that has poor access? I mean, I have some hilly land that is often best accessed with the quad. I have a quad sprayer that has a fan nozzle on it and it spreads in large droplets. It could be a useful way of spreading fertilizer on land that is difficult to access with the tractor?
Do you have a boom on the quad sprayer or just a lance? If there's a boom fitted then I don't see why you couldn't use it to apply the fertiliser but you'd need a special set of fertiliser nozzles. A fan nozzle won't work for a number of reasons. Firstly there is a risk of scorching foliage with a complete cover. It's a soil acting fertiliser so the soil is where you want it to go, a fertiliser nozzle will apply the liquid in a number of solid streams that will run off the leaves more readily. It is also recommended that the fertiliser achieves no more than 20% ground cover as it will be broken down too quickly by soil bacteria otherwise so again the streams are necessary. Lastly you don't want to atomise the fertiliser as that would cause the compound to disintegrate which defeats the whole purpose of the exercise so again that rules out standard nozzles. You would be aiming to work at a pressure no higher than 2 bar for the same reason.

Do you have a boom on the quad sprayer or just a lance? If there's a boom fitted then I don't see why you couldn't use it to apply the fertiliser but you'd need a special set of fertiliser nozzles. A fan nozzle won't work for a number of reasons. Firstly there is a risk of scorching foliage with a complete cover. It's a soil acting fertiliser so the soil is where you want it to go, a fertiliser nozzle will apply the liquid in a number of solid streams that will run off the leaves more readily. It is also recommended that the fertiliser achieves no more than 20% ground cover as it will be broken down too quickly by soil bacteria otherwise so again the streams are necessary. Lastly you don't want to atomise the fertiliser as that would cause the compound to disintegrate which defeats the whole purpose of the exercise so again that rules out standard nozzles. You would be aiming to work at a pressure no higher than 2 bar for the same reason.

Pressure would not be an issue. Our sprayer has a boomless broadcast system and a separate lance like the one in the picture below. This can be adjusted to apply both a fine mist and a number of solid streams. I know it's a very small and basic system, but I can cover 5 acres an hour with it rush spraying with the quad. I suppose it's worth a trial on a small area. Is the liquid fertilizer that you use the Delfan Plus? At €60 for 10 litres, it wouldn't be too expensive of a trial.

a4_1.png

Pressure would not be an issue. Our sprayer has a boomless broadcast system and a separate lance like the one in the picture below. This can be adjusted to apply both a fine mist and a number of solid streams. I know it's a very small and basic system, but I can cover 5 acres an hour with it rush spraying with the quad. I suppose it's worth a trial on a small area. Is the liquid fertilizer that you use the Delfan Plus? At €60 for 10 litres, it wouldn't be too expensive of a trial.

a4_1.png
No Deflan Plus is a foliar fertiliser, the stuff I'm talking about is a soil-acting fertiliser that is designed to be a straight replacement for granular. It is usually delivered in 1200L IBC's that each contain 1.5t of fertiliser. I'm sure something could be arranged if you wanted to experiment.

Think Bunn are talking about their protected urea products being made available here in liquid. @Sheebadog, I hear the french lads aren't fond of it...feeling it inhibits natural microbial processes?
I presume you're talking about urease inhibitors Ugo? NBPT and DCD?

I don't know an awful lot about them but I recall reading a study about DCD having problems with leaching of soil derived N on clay-loam soils. Supposedly works well on sandy soils. I could be totally wrong on this...

You need raindrop nozzles to apply liquid N, but you can use ordinary spray nozzles to apply liquid U. Foliar application of urea gives instant greening...

I presume you're talking about urease inhibitors Ugo? NBPT and DCD?

I don't know an awful lot about them but I recall reading a study about DCD having problems with leaching of soil derived N on clay-loam soils. Supposedly works well on sandy soils. I could be totally wrong on this...
Yeah, that's what I was driving at. There's some schools of thought that suggest the nbpt chokes off other beneficial microbial activity. Just wondering how our French brethern view it.

How are lads getting on wit liquid fertiliser nitrogen ? Is der better results? Is it cost effective ? Are sprayers holding up after it?

Liquid is deadly accurate and works a bit quicker. Slightly cheaper to buy.

Liquid is also very heavy. I think it’s 1.33 times heavier than water...

Aluminum booms on the sprayer so no real damage...the likes of Berthoud and Hardi sprayers don’t get on well with it!

Liquid is deadly accurate and works a bit quicker. Slightly cheaper to buy.

Liquid is also very heavy. I think it’s 1.33 times heavier than water...

Aluminum booms on the sprayer so no real damage...the likes of Berthoud and Hardi sprayers don’t get on well with it!
What's d storey in terms of the life of a sprayer? Once a sprayer is rinsed and washed will it last a normal life?

The man we all knew as Tippcon gives a lot of his time spraying it for the supplier of it who is a close relation of a very large John Deere dealer.

They use a purpose built sprayer for the job .I think that it is supplied at a price which includes application . Most users seem happy with it , and use it again .

I am not connected to either of them have often been in the yard. I would buy a bit of chemicals from him.
Dairy farmers would be his main customers

The man we all knew as Tippcon gives a lot of his time spraying it for the supplier of it who is a close relation of a very large John Deere dealer.

They use a purpose built sprayer for the job .I think that it is supplied at a price which includes application . Most users seem happy with it , and use it again .

I am not connected to either of them have often been in the yard. I would buy a bit of chemicals from him.
Dairy farmers would be his main customers

This may help also:
http://www.n-xtfertilizerstempletuohy.ie

Seeing a lot of advertising for liquid fert the past few weeks with the drought , the pics they use definately make it look like a serious product but all iv seen is posts by the companies selling it and no real farmer reviews about it? If its so good its a wonder everyones not at it..

Attachments

• FD8425FC-19DB-4B6D-B004-890ECCF1DD2F.png
    FD8425FC-19DB-4B6D-B004-890ECCF1DD2F.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 703F54FA-FFB0-4BF9-B07B-46A5E02FC558.png
    703F54FA-FFB0-4BF9-B07B-46A5E02FC558.png
    596.1 KB · Views: 195
Seeing a lot of advertising for liquid fert the past few weeks with the drought , the pics they use definately make it look like a serious product but all iv seen is posts by the companies selling it and no real farmer reviews about it? If its so good its a wonder everyones not at it..
I would be very interested in what products were applied. Wonder was the granulated product urea used at the worst possible timing. Omex is just a suspension of standard fertiliser applied to the soil, not using any mad tech that may account for such a difference. Studies havent really shown a huge difference in growth, just way more accuracy in application. headlands are more consistent, ends and out on headlands spot on. Applying 70units bang on, not 60 on half the field and 80 on the other half

Last edited:
@TAFKAT put it on two Late sown fields of spring barley just as they were peeping for me, they were after carrots and would have a lot of nitrogen lock up from the straw used to cover them,the crops are average but if I had have went granular they would be an absolute disaster. Definitely something I will consider again. Brother in law uses it the whole time on all grassland , never spreads any granulated fert at all and gets great results. I actually enquired about putting it on spring wheat but it was to late as it would scorch the crop once once the flag leaf is out.

@TAFKAT put it on two Late sown fields of spring barley just as they were peeping for me, they were after carrots and would have a lot of nitrogen lock up from the straw used to cover them,the crops are average but if I had have went granular they would be an absolute disaster. Definitely something I will consider again. Brother in law uses it the whole time on all grassland , never spreads any granulated fert at all and gets great results. I actually enquired about putting it on spring wheat but it was to late as it would scorch the crop once once the flag leaf is out.

Im assuming that would be Flex if that contractor is supplying it, which is very different to a suspension NPK product like OMEX supply

not going to have anything to do with liquid fert but just curious, reading an OMEX leaflet there, do you mix that stuff with water or does it go straight into sprayer ? Is there much cost difference per kg of N

not going to have anything to do with liquid fert but just curious, reading an OMEX leaflet there, do you mix that stuff with water or does it go straight into sprayer ? Is there much cost difference per kg of N
It goes straight into the sprayer. Cost difference per Kg of N depends on current prices.

Back