Location of mixing point

redpower

In a 20' x 30' tank does it matter were mixing point is located for ease of stirring? I would have thought with a small tank like the the location would not be important.

The mixing point will be put along one of the 20' ends, but I was wondering if I could put the slab with mixing point at the corner of the tank as opposed to the middle of the 20' side. Reason being is that the shed is a lean-to with a lowish roof so the highest point of roof would be at the corner of the tank. Plus we'd have to shift stuff to get into for access to the centre location.

I presume it's under slats, if so I would put it at the feed barrier side if the feeding is on one side, tendency is for the heavier stuff to be at the feeding side and the liquid moves away from there.

@Arthur yes it will be along the feed barrier side (other end is at shed gable). It's really just a storage tank, but to be covered with slats for additional use.

Drumderry in Wexford make , or at least did make a 20 ft 6 slat .
They still do i think, its a stressed slat i believe, and consequently it is not flat as it has a camber due to the stressing force, i don't see the issue with that myself but i am told cattle aren't mad about them

They still do i think, its a stressed slat i believe, and consequently it is not flat as it has a camber due to the stressing force, i don't see the issue with that myself but i am told cattle aren't mad about them

I've never seen one , but my ready mix supplier told me a few years ago , about a tank that he had done for a local to him Dairy farmer
It was 20 ft wide , 12 ft deep , and I think over 100 ft long . It was built on the side of a hill , so wasn't as huge a digging job as you'd think , for its size .

Was hoping to get a beam or a pillar/beam.

What lengths can you get a beam in with a suitable axle bearing load? I'm guessing that bespoke would be very expensive and loading would be dimension dependent too.

Was hoping to get a beam or a pillar/beam.

What lengths can you get a beam in with a suitable axle bearing load? I'm guessing that bespoke would be very expensive and loading would be dimension dependent too.
I'd go with the spine wall stopping about 10' short at either end and you could cast in the beam or buy a pre-cast beam. Much easier to agitate than a tank with piers and beams.
Have both types here .

Thats the idea, down one side and back the other although in the posters case a 30ft long tank won't have much of a center wall with a window at each end
The beam was intending to go the other way so that the slats would be laid in the conventional manner - front to back of pen. So would be spanning sub 20' by the time the tank is constructed. Shed is 20' wide, so doubt that tank will end up 20' wide.

Back