Log splitter

D

Deutz fahr 165.7

Can anyone recommend a good log splitter? I have been to see an electric one a 12 ton, but I'd be open to tractor driven ones too. I'd be splitting in the same shed all the time. So far I've seen malone online only, (they look really good) there are lots of different ones on the market so I was wondering what you have??

These threads are worth a read if you haven't already seen them

Whatever u do but one with a lockable return lever on it. My father in law had one that you had to keep held in both directions so I changed the spool to one that locked to return position

Can anyone recommend a good log splitter? I have been to see an electric one a 12 ton, but I'd be open to tractor driven ones too. I'd be splitting in the same shed all the time. So far I've seen malone online only, (they look really good) there are lots of different ones on the market so I was wondering what you have??

The two threads above are a great read. I wouldn't be keen on the Malone one at all.

Have a Kentec here ourselves, not done much with it yet but very well built and pleased with it.

The two threads above are a great read. I wouldn't be keen on the Malone one at all.

Have a Kentec here ourselves, not done much with it yet but very well built and pleased with it.
I was only going off malone because we had a post driver years ago and it was good. Thanks I'll look into that..

Does that have an auto return after you've split the block or do you have to hit the lever to lift the knife again?

Multec do one

Ours is a horizontal and I hate it, but when it was made verticals weren’t that common. The one major advantage for us with the horizontal was that at the time we had an awful lot of old lengths of timber from old timber sheds and a house roof, they were all full of nails so too dodgy for the chain saw, we chopped them all up with the splitter into foot lengths, the way the swing around the axe head would be very dodgy with a vertical

1664562917084.png
1664562917084.pngBest thing we did was replace the open fire with this ,no need for a log splitter now :thumbup:

Depending on how much work this log splitter will be doing,it may be worth considering more expensive options from larger non Irish manufacturers with good features.
A PTO pump machine can be fast , especially on the return stroke.and work on a small tractor .
the money still would not be that big of and a long term investment
m.large sell ones anyway.
rabaud is another make

Most of what he is splitting will require further handling and splitting.
The best use I can see for one if those is for big heavy rings to break them down in to manageable pieces

that's true,@Seedsower ,depends on what he is burning it in, but it is a quare handy bit of gear even if it was modified to split them smaller and split into a trailer without having to handle them

I would have thought the most of that will fit in a decent sized stove.
I'm not a fan of splitting too small tbh. A decent size block will last better in the stove.
I miss my old Kamina stove. I was like a Ukrainian artillery man shoving 7 inch square and 18 inch long logs in through the side door. The Jotul is a good stove but there is a fancy pants heat exchanger that restricts the size of logs.

Back