log splitters

finding a way to put a solidly mounted table on it is the issue. the face plate slides using a guide on the body of the splitter like where the cutter slides on alfies one. i dont know how you can mount one without interfering with the guide
Why don't you turn it into a vertical splitter?

looks the job. have a horizontal splitter here. god i wish there was a big table on it. always left doing a balancing act with the valve and the trunk that wants splitting
Place a stack of pallets beside it and load with rounds .

We have an old jf muck spreader trailer. Fill it with rounds and it's a lovely height beside the splitter

Any suggestions for a log splitter? Need to buy one
There's a man in Wilkinstown here who makes a serious log splitter, 4ft table, self canceling spool so once you flick it up it'll go up on its own and stop at the top, he also makes them with a table to lift up big logs, they're around 3k though.

Been looking at them myself as I hate our horizontal one, it works well but you get fed up having to drop one half of a big lump and pick it up again

Malone are what most have around here. Looking for one myself too, they have gone up in price a lot in the last 3 years.

One thing I see with malone is that the wedge is welded which I’m fairly certain has been mentioned as a big no no on here several times by now.

Did you look at the kentec ones?
Those mb ones look good in the pics. The tusk quite similar… if we are to believe yt the Cavan built ones are the only ones to have but I’d say they are fairly sharp on the €€€

Reactions: c4l
Depending on how much work its going to do,I would price a professional one from someone like m.large
One with a pto pump means a small tractor will be quick without much revs.
as a long term investment I would consider the options .
Then again two of these loads arrived here today so I'm not a domestic user.
Having said that none of this will need a log splitter, I have a small processor for it.
First time I've bought timber, used to acquire it handy but seems to be more in demand now.
20220502_150922.jpg

Bought one of the Carroll splitters as well, same as @Alfie , 5ft table,
Find it a good job, in comparison to a Malone one i used, the larger table,and the auto return are a big advantage

Been looking at them myself as I hate our horizontal one, it works well but you get fed up having to drop one half of a big lump and pick it up again

One thing I see with malone is that the wedge is welded which I’m fairly certain has been mentioned as a big no no on here several times by now.

Did you look at the kentec ones?
Those mb ones look good in the pics. The tusk quite similar… if we are to believe yt the Cavan built ones are the only ones to have but I’d say they are fairly sharp on the €€€

I did not look closely at all, it was only something that was mentioned here one day in the last week!

There are lots of Malones around here but I did notice what you say too!

The Carroll ones look a fine job but I doubt we would stretch that far for something that is generally done on a wet day only or for a hour or two.

Son made the one here , 2ft inch plate table , boom ram of a MF50 back actor , huge lump of H iron . Not the fastest , but rarely fails .

Have seen a Kentec , looked the finest . Malone has the ram welded to the wedge , not a great idea . @Mf240 has one that happened to .

Son made the one here , 2ft inch plate table , boom ram of a MF50 back actor , huge lump of H iron . Not the fastest , but rarely fails .

Have seen a Kentec , looked the finest . Malone has the ram welded to the wedge , not a great idea . @Mf240 has one that happened to .

Ya it broke off after a good bit of work. Friend repaired it and modified it a bit. Ill get picture tommorow.

I did not look closely at all, it was only something that was mentioned here one day in the last week!

There are lots of Malones around here but I did notice what you say too!

The Carroll ones look a fine job but I doubt we would stretch that far for something that is generally done on a wet day only or for a hour or two.
I'd be in the same boat as you workload wise, what sort of dinero is the Carrolls one? I think I'll go for one an MB one

Bought one of the Carroll splitters as well, same as @Alfie , 5ft table,
Find it a good job, in comparison to a Malone one i used, the larger table,and the auto return are a big advantage

I went for the 3' table as I hadn't much space to store it, it's still a big enough table for the amount of work it does. I'd have went 5' if I had more space though.

I'd be in the same boat as you workload wise, what sort of dinero is the Carrolls one? I think I'll go for one an MB one

Looking on Donedeal, the Kentec, MB and Malone all seem to be around the 900/950 plus VAT territory.

Do not know about the Carroll though.

Liam young the JCB dealer in the ragg thurles made one some years ago out of a JCB back acter,has it mounted on channel iron so it can be lifted by a telescopic and coupled to it's hydraulics to operate.it is a serious log splitter

I bought a new carroll one with the auto return,5ft table and stainless top same as Ifarmwefarm on youtube has. Its a serious well engineered machine. Was up in there workshop picking it up and they are a serious operation.

Have seen a few malone ones with the top plates where ram mounts cracked off and wedges broke off them. The carroll one would take some amount of abuse to break or crack it.

I see Hand engineering ones been sold locally, I don't know anything about them.
But Hand makes nice stuff, well engineered. Might be worth a Gawk.

I see Hand engineering ones been sold locally, I don't know anything about them.
But Hand makes nice stuff, well engineered. Might be worth a Gawk.
Works well, paint is poor though , mine is 4 year old and never seen a night outside and it's gone rusty enough. I'd say it wasn't cleaned properly pre painting.
Table also bowed a bit, gussets underneath don't extend out far enough to support properly

Back