log splitters

this would be the daddy of em all:whistling::whistling:

Attachments

• test (450 x 600).jpg
    test (450 x 600).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 51
Most of that timber that was being split in the YT videos would be really easy to split with an axe, though not as quickly I grant you.

And that lad needs a season with an axe and wedges splitting awkward timber then he would learn how to work with it rather than just shoving it in any old how. There are times, when working with really difficult knotty timber, when just shoving it in like he's doing can be positively dangerous.

Like most jobs, there's an easy way and then there's the other way.

There would be fair pressure on the splitter!
you would want to see the ram that pushes it:scared::scared:
iirc the cylonder was round 12" in DIA,
i didnt take a photo of it unfortunatley:no:.

this was their "farmers" take on it:001_huh:

Attachments

• DSCF0633 (1151 x 863) log splitter test 30%.jpg
    DSCF0633 (1151 x 863) log splitter test 30%.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 54
:ohmy: These are some serious wood spliters kinda makes me want to start burning woo again:sweatdrop:

Wonder what the price tag are on some of these machines:thumbdown:

Fast forward over ten years, what's the best value log splitter on the market now? No scrap around the place and less time to make a splitter.

I bought a 16ton electric log splitter, it's a great job. Have it in the shed with the timber. No messing with tractors. Can spend 5 minutes splitting if I need afew logs.

I bought a 16ton electric log splitter, it's a great job. Have it in the shed with the timber. No messing with tractors. Can spend 5 minutes splitting if I need afew logs.
Do you know the brand and model? What plug does it run off?

Do you know the brand and model? What plug does it run off?

That's them, they come with the blue 16amp plug. Got an electrician to put in a socket for us. Just put the rounds in the shed and split away when you need them. Otherwise it seems like a bigger job than it is if you have to hook up the tractor

That's them, they come with the blue 16amp plug. Got an electrician to put in a socket for us. Just put the rounds in the shed and split away when you need them. Otherwise it seems like a bigger job than it is if you have to hook up the tractor
Thanks, sold out at the moment. I have some dead elm to split so the splitter would need to be up to that, given that elm is hard to split.

Fast forward over ten years, what's the best value log splitter on the market now? No scrap around the place and less time to make a splitter.
Buy a vertical one and not a horizontal one and get one with a big table on it. You want a table big enough to stack a few blocks on one side and on the other side, room to sit half of the block you are splitting to one side while you split the other half

these lads make great stuff

Looks a great bit of kit & very well finished with some nice options. He added the big 5' table, pressure gauge, auto return wedge & the bearing material to protect the paint. I guess that added a fair bit to the price.

Adrian's (I Farm, We Farm) video from today said he'll be doing a vid on using the log splitter in the next couple weeks once he gets a chance to use it.

Looks a great bit of kit & very well finished with some nice options. He added the big 5' table, pressure gauge, auto return wedge & the bearing material to protect the paint. I guess that added a fair bit to the price.

Adrian's (I Farm, We Farm) video from today said he'll be doing a vid on using the log splitter in the next couple weeks once he gets a chance to use it.

It looked a bells and whistles job in the video . Definitely go vertical model , and a decent table to hold a big ring , or several blocks .

He seems to plug some companies well , but is at pains to say , that he wont say the cost of items , as it might seem he is advertising them...

Kentec engineering make a good splitter from my memory.
There are imported ones that might be worth a bit extra for some features like special rams with large rods to speed up return and a PTO pump which allows a small tractor to be fast at splitting.
Friend of mine bought a big enough petrol one from hartnett lately for 2 k and likes it well.
Bannon machinery athlone sell an unusual one that is impressive to me anyway

Thanks, sold out at the moment. I have some dead elm to split so the splitter would need to be up to that, given that elm is hard to split.

You can cut elm in any direction and it will not blunt the saw . It is often better to just cut elm into blocks instead of splitting.

You can cut elm in any direction and it will not blunt the saw . It is often better to just cut elm into blocks instead of splitting.
That's not the experience I have. It's some wood to blunt a saw chain quickly.

@marco is it very low to the ground?

My back is complaining just looking at it.

Easy enough put a few 9x3s under it I suppose

@marco is it very low to the ground?

My back is complaining just looking at it.

Easy enough put a few 9x3s under it I suppose
There's a stand that's waist high which can be taken out if you had some reall long stuff to cut. Should be a video on the page above.

looks a lot lower than waist high to me in the video. like I say I'd rather it up on a few blocks, but easily done. Can't get over how quiet it is, seen some electric ones before and the whine off them was unreal.

Have you done any long pieces in it? they say it's one of the best ways of drying/processing timber. cut it in the field to 3 foot lengths, split those lengths asap as there's not many of them and dry on a pallet or something. then cut them into blocks when they're dry

fierce handy having it sitting there ready to go I'd say. I keep saying I'll put legs and long hoses on ours so you could just plug into the tractor without having to remove the implement on it, but it's still on "the list"

Back