log splitters

looks a lot lower than waist high to me in the video. like I say I'd rather it up on a few blocks, but easily done. Can't get over how quiet it is, seen some electric ones before and the whine off them was unreal.

Have you done any long pieces in it? they say it's one of the best ways of drying/processing timber. cut it in the field to 3 foot lengths, split those lengths asap as there's not many of them and dry on a pallet or something. then cut them into blocks when they're dry

fierce handy having it sitting there ready to go I'd say. I keep saying I'll put legs and long hoses on ours so you could just plug into the tractor without having to remove the implement on it, but it's still on "the list"
Ours is only a locally built horizontal but like you say it’s way too low, and wrecks your back. If it’s not hooked up to the tractor I normally leave it on a few logs to help with the height it’s surprising the difference it makes.
But if I had a vertical I’d like to have the legs be collapsible so that you could lower it fully to get big heavy lumps onto it

Ours is only a locally built horizontal but like you say it’s way too low, and wrecks your back. If it’s not hooked up to the tractor I normally leave it on a few logs to help with the height it’s surprising the difference it makes.
But if I had a vertical I’d like to have the legs be collapsible so that you could lower it fully to get big heavy lumps onto it
If I was building a vertical splitter and there would be big rings used on it I’d fit a two lever valve chest and weld a hinged leg with a plate on the bottom that you could roll a large piece onto it and it would hydraulically raise up level onto the table to be split.

If I was building a vertical splitter and there would be big rings used on it I’d fit a two lever valve chest and weld a hinged leg with a plate on the bottom that you could roll a large piece onto it and it would hydraulically raise up level onto the table to be split.
I’ve seen a few with something along those lines and does look a good job too in fairness, also seen a few with a simple slide ramp and a winch to pull them up it

My tractor splitter has no prop under the table, you can let the lift down to load big rings then lift it up to convenient height
There is a big folding platform on the left side to load a number of rings

My tractor splitter has no prop under the table, you can let the lift down to load big rings then lift it up to convenient height
There is a big folding platform on the left side to load a number of rings
Have you any photos of the folding platform

Have you any photos of the folding platform
It's just a frame of box iron that I had lying around and I put hinges on it so it folds up for traveling.
Few short bits of scaffold planks to sit the sticks on.we try to have a man splitting constant when at timber and the saw man keeps the platform stacked for him

I watched the first 30 seconds and switched it of as it sounded like an add

He certainly doesn't spare his praise for certain suppliers .
On the other hand the episode running down the Massey tractor , even though he didn't like it when he test drove it , would hardly make him too welcome inside one dealers yard.

Considering getting a log splitter for the tractor, I presume a Ford 4630 would have no problem running one off the hydraulics ?

looks the job. have a horizontal splitter here. god i wish there was a big table on it. always left doing a balancing act with the valve and the trunk that wants splitting

I welded a folding table onto the side of mine, fill it up with logs first and you’ll be splitting for a while without stooping down.
finding a way to put a solidly mounted table on it is the issue. the face plate slides using a guide on the body of the splitter like where the cutter slides on alfies one. i dont know how you can mount one without interfering with the guide

finding a way to put a solidly mounted table on it is the issue. the face plate slides using a guide on the body of the splitter like where the cutter slides on alfies one. i dont know how you can mount one without interfering with the guide
I’ll get a pic of mine for you tomorrow.

Reactions: c4l
Back