Maize 2021 varieties

You’d be better off getting it tested in a lab if you need the figures for formulating a diet, those machines are a bit dodgy.
Ya will get it done too. I wouldn't think it too far out either doh. Cows are eating 10-12kg less of fresh weight a day per head at the moment and nothing has changed on last yr.

Will there be a jump in maize plantings this year considering the price of grains?

It’s forecasted to rise a bit here due to price, but not a whole lot.

Will there be a jump in maize plantings this year considering the price of grains?

It’s forecasted to rise a bit here due to price, but not a whole lot.
Forage maize? Area will fall would be my guess due to fertiliser price. I’m not sure what alternative guys have tho as everything is well up in price

Forage maize? Area will fall would be my guess due to fertiliser price. I’m not sure what alternative guys have tho as everything is well up in price
With all the slurry and dung stock farms have in a local area surely allot of cheaply fertilised (relative) grown maize should be possible. If the soil is working right, slurry and a 2 to 3 bags of fertiliser should get a fine crop. Grass will be dearer grow from a nutrients POV

With all the slurry and dung stock farms have in a local area surely allot of cheaply fertilised (relative) grown maize should be possible. If the soil is working right, slurry and a 2 to 3 bags of fertiliser should get a fine crop. Grass will be dearer grow from a nutrients POV
Maize will want the bones of 150 units of nitrogen. Cheapest way is urea and Harrow it down Asap.

Maize will want the bones of 150 units of nitrogen. Cheapest way is urea and Harrow it down Asap.
Thats total requirement is it not? Your soil probably supplying half of it, and slurry another quarter if applying each year. Grew most of my acres with some thing with a bag of urea and some foliar N if in bother.

Thats total requirement is it not? Your soil probably supplying half of it, and slurry another quarter if applying each year. Grew most of my acres with some thing with a bag of urea and some foliar N if in bother.
While I’ve no real experience on late N on maize it just doesn’t make any sence to last out huge amounts in the seedbed in April. Half in seedbed and half applied in June or later if possible Either granular or liquid would make sence.
Maize in a lot of cases is over fertilised with N definitely.

While I’ve no real experience on late N on maize it just doesn’t make any sence to last out huge amounts in the seedbed in April. Half in seedbed and half applied in June or later if possible Either granular or liquid would make sence.
I must inquire about doing it that way. Never done it that way before

Used put on a bag of AS about 60days after planting(that sounds very late). Will get a small bit if whorl burning but nothing worthwhile. You need a fert that works quick.

Sulfur is best side-sown with seed.
Maize doesn’t need much N. It needs sun and water with no weeds.
The sulphur thing is very much neglected here, a lot of maize gets urea and maybe 0-7-30 and never gets any S at all. How many units (units on our language) would you think maize needs?

Phosphate isn’t that important for maize. We give no starter to maize destined for grain. For forage we give a smidge of starter to get it away quickly and to boost biomass. Assuming index4 soils.
Potash and sulfur are more important than N and P.

The sulphur thing is very much neglected here, a lot of maize gets urea and maybe 0-7-30 and never gets any S at all. How many units (units on our language) would you think maize needs?
I would go with a couple bags of kieserite/ac, even substitute a bag of it, for a bag of N. You will get more bang for your buck and more balanced nutrition. Maize likes Mg.

@Sheebadog are you working very high P soils? Hard to beat P to get maize away in our climate

I would go with a couple bags of kieserite/ac, even substitute a bag of it, for a bag of N. You will get more bang for your buck and more balanced nutrition. Maize likes Mg.

@Sheebadog are you working very high P soils? Hard to beat P to get maize away in our climate
Yes very high P…decades of fym.
I’ve seen good response to Epsotop at 8 leaf stage. I think it was at 10kg/ha.

Maize 22 is up and off. Heard a few around us here are having to resow. Crows went through the plastic and pulled out the seed on a certain variety.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_122450_1.jpg
    IMG_20220513_122450_1.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 37
Back