Maize

View attachment 74032 View attachment 74033
Maize under plastic was sown here in early May 2018, into wheat October 18, into barley last October, this is a piece unsown as spring barley is going in the rest of the field. It’s amazing how the environmental activists haven’t latched onto the plastic thing yet. Horrible stuff.

I couldn’t agree more. Personally, I wouldn’t have it on my land. My late father had a phobia about bits of plastic around the place, everything would be picked up regardless of how small. His main fear was plastic choking an bullock.

I was putting some Fym on the garden recently. I cannot understand the mindset of some people as there was plenty of plastic through it. Even the likes of the spring latches for holding electric fence wire across a gap.

View attachment 74032 View attachment 74033
Maize under plastic was sown here in early May 2018, into wheat October 18, into barley last October, this is a piece unsown as spring barley is going in the rest of the field. It’s amazing how the environmental activists haven’t latched onto the plastic thing yet. Horrible stuff.
A good few lads use plastic with dryland maize here. Funny that it disintegrates really fast, and is nearly gone at harvest time but in Ireland I’ve seen it ploughed up after 2 or 3yrs.
It might be different type of plastic (?), but it’s used on Samco drills here as in Ireland.

A good few lads use plastic with dryland maize here. Funny that it disintegrates really fast, and is nearly gone at harvest time but in Ireland I’ve seen it ploughed up after 2 or 3yrs.
It might be different type of plastic (?), but it’s used on Samco drills here as in Ireland.

The plastic 10yrs ago was horrible stuff and a huge amount of it still in soil to this day, it's probably 5 yrs since I had maize under plastics, but it needs sunlight to breakdown and I still have little pieces in the soil

Plastic type certainly varies with the country. It’s photo degradable so I guess the French sunshine would help.

Going off topic here but the silage wrap thrown around on some farms where it ends up on the land/in hedges etc disgusts me. I cannot abide it.

I mentioned this on here before but a colleague was on a tillage farm during the year. One field was at grass corn stage and my colleague asked what were black lumps across the field. The farmer had belly grass spread on the land and the lumps were silage wrap..........ffs.

Plastic type certainly varies with the country. It’s photo degradable so I guess the French sunshine would help.

Going off topic here but the silage wrap thrown around on some farms where it ends up on the land/in hedges etc disgusts me. I cannot abide it.

I mentioned this on here before but a colleague was on a tillage farm during the year. One field was at grass corn stage and my colleague asked what were black lumps across the field. The farmer had belly grass spread on the land and the lumps were silage wrap..........ffs.

You would really love being out on hire with a dung spreader!! I cut a tonne or more off the beaters each year, I'd hate to think how much goes out on the land, even the cleanest of farms will have a certain amount of net and plastic in the dung, others take the absolute piss!:censored:

I think it’s a culture thing.
I wasn’t long here and a couple of Irish lads were visiting. One was sitting up with me ploughing and we were having that same conversation. To prove my point I fired an empty fag box out the window... the French lad on the plough behind stopped and picked up the empty box. The Irish lad was incredulous so I fired out the wrapper of the new box, to a repeat performance...

I’d a fastidious plick of a lad (French) working for me a few years back, and to amuse myself on a windy day I’d fire the empty twine wrappers to the wind...great craic watching him running after them!
As a nation we Irish are dirty with rubbish.

Did I read somewhere that some Shannon Turloughs have been blocked with silage wrap?

Last edited:
I was in Nice a couple of times and it was dirtier than Longford. A lot of homeless sleeping in the parks and on a wet night they all went down to the Arches of a courthouse to sleep. If you want to see a place with lots of litter go to Sicily .

I was in Nice a couple of times and it was dirtier than Longford. A lot of homeless sleeping in the parks and on a wet night they all went down to the Arches of a courthouse to sleep. If you want to see a place with lots of litter go to Sicily .
Most French cities are filthy now. Lots of immigration, lack of housing for them, and the immigrants brought their ‘culture’ of rubbishing with them.
The countryside remains very clean though.

You would really love being out on hire with a dung spreader!! I cut a tonne or more off the beaters each year, I'd hate to think how much goes out on the land, even the cleanest of farms will have a certain amount of net and plastic in the dung, others take the absolute piss!:censored:
I take it off in the farmers yard and stay charging by the hour, usually sorts that problem

Reminds me of my father one day in a pub a man asked him was he using the same plastic as last year (said in a manor where you know a complaint was coming) dad replied and said “no it’s too hard pull it out of the ditches to use it again “

I was asked by a farmer to feed a few bales of silage to his cattle a few years back while his loader was out of action. He was shocked when I went cutting the net off the bale. He said the cattle would eat around it. I was disgusted with him. All the net is going to end up spread on a field somewhere.
We'd be like you @CORK ,zero tolerance for plastic in this yard.

I was asked by a farmer to feed a few bales of silage to his cattle a few years back while his loader was out of action. He was shocked when I went cutting the net off the bale. He said the cattle would eat around it. I was disgusted with him. All the net is going to end up spread on a field somewhere.
We'd be like you @CORK ,zero tolerance for plastic in this yard.

That bate all.......:curse:

I know a farmer switched from pit silage to bales, this was back in the time when bales were tied with twine. He was too lazy to bother taking the twine off the bales, at the end of the winter hadn’t a tag left on any animal.
Mowing a meadow one day I ran into what could only be described as a round feeder nest, fcuker had left the twine on the bales like that, took ages to get it off the discs and conditioner.:curse: , I was hedgecutting in a place last week, never saw so much needless rubbish around a place, bale wrap, plastic bags, plastic buckets, various containers, balls of poly wire and high tensile fucked all over the place and heaps of dung here there and everywhere, absolute disgrace, how anyone could work in that environment and not be aware of the mess is beyond me.

Some of these stories make me wonder am I too harsh with my father :lol: he might not put all the plastic in the right place during the week and I'd be giving out. At least it is all in one general place.

I don't understand this mentality of throwing plastic everywhere, ultimately you are paying for the weight :sweat:

Here’s a nice example I had agitating one day :scratchhead:

Attachments

• B9B1B3AF-881D-45E6-8A12-DB4DFB88C86A.png
    B9B1B3AF-881D-45E6-8A12-DB4DFB88C86A.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 99
See a few lads in Cork and Wexico had started during the week, 40 acres gone in up the road from me yesterday and today, think I might leave it another week, fair frost here the last two mornings.

The lads have around 150ac sown so far and are on the 4th customer. And lots lined up for the next few days.

Back