Maize

I’ve got a fair bit of maize to plant yet but it’ll have to wait a while yet because we got 94mm last weekend. Seriously heavy thunderstorm rain fell in short sharp bursts flooding fields and houses. I’ve fields that’ll have to be planted again.
I wouldn’t be getting concerned just yet but it’d want to be getting planted all the same. There’s a truck coming this morning to exchange the seed I’ve in stock (fao index 340) for for fao index 280.
The rain has set back the sunflowers quite a bit with patches fecked where water lodged. Some maize that was at 5-6 leaves is now looking a yellowish white color so yield will take a wallop.
On the plus side wheat and barley needed the drink.

I’ve got a fair bit of maize to plant yet but it’ll have to wait a while yet because we got 94mm last weekend. Seriously heavy thunderstorm rain fell in short sharp bursts flooding fields and houses. I’ve fields that’ll have to be planted again.
I wouldn’t be getting concerned just yet but it’d want to be getting planted all the same. There’s a truck coming this morning to exchange the seed I’ve in stock (fao index 340) for for fao index 280.
The rain has set back the sunflowers quite a bit with patches fecked where water lodged. Some maize that was at 5-6 leaves is now looking a yellowish white color so yield will take a wallop.
On the plus side wheat and barley needed the drink.
I’m not going to like that post, very sorry to hear this.

I saw a farmer on twitter filming his fields in the Vendee region, it looked terrible- 100mm in 36hrs I think he said.

I’m not going to like that post, very sorry to hear this.

I saw a farmer on twitter filming his fields in the Vendee region, it looked terrible- 100mm in 36hrs I think he said.
Yep, not a pretty sight. That’s the hand we’re dealt so it’s best to get on with it...
The temps were also a big problem. It went from 28*C last Friday to 9* on Sat and Sunday, which is not normal at all.

Spent the day pricking around with maize ground that’s after capping from the thunder rain last weekend.
Tried Cambridge roller, no good.
Tried a Herse Étrille (don’t know the English name), no good either.
Back now to plant the bloody lot again.
Jeez but we’re sick of planting now.
The seed bill is going to be eye watering.

The upside...last year Thiram was banned as a seed dressing, and the crows had a ball, but I discovered another product that’s closely related and isn’t banned until next year, called Aziram I think, so the seed treatment man is coming tomorrow morning to dress the seed. Lots of small bags to open but it’ll be worth it.

Spent the day pricking around with maize ground that’s after capping from the thunder rain last weekend.

The upside...last year Thiram was banned as a seed dressing, and the crows had a ball, but I discovered another product that’s closely related and isn’t banned until next year, called Aziram I think, so the seed treatment man is coming tomorrow morning to dress the seed. Lots of small bags to open but it’ll be worth it.
Christ I’m sorry to hear that J, you’ve been having bad luck.
Korit is the replacement for Thiram that’s being used here for crow deterrence and I think it only has a year or two before being banned here so it’s probably the same thing, I’m not aware of a replacement so Maize could be challenging at that point, the crows just love it.

What's a balls, how thick is the cap, as that's quite hard to imagine. Will the disruption of replanting allow some of the seed already there the chance to get going?

Does that happen often? Would planting into a cover crop stop the ground capping?

What's a balls, how thick is the cap, as that's quite hard to imagine. Will the disruption of replanting allow some of the seed already there the chance to get going?
It’s a full crop or nothing Ozzy because there’s weed competition issues if not a full crop. Weeds will starve maize of moisture.
Photos are of capped ground. Crop of clover removed, mintill the ground and plant...weeds can’t even break through.

Attachments

• 9DA703B1-756B-4F76-A2FB-D1F334F1D613.jpeg
    9DA703B1-756B-4F76-A2FB-D1F334F1D613.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 61
  • D8CD0A8C-C741-4244-94A3-3170CB135AE7.jpeg
    D8CD0A8C-C741-4244-94A3-3170CB135AE7.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 7589982F-1CA8-4BC1-B395-75BEEC97509F.jpeg
    7589982F-1CA8-4BC1-B395-75BEEC97509F.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 7847A358-2E99-45D2-8DB0-B151AB1A5518.jpeg
    7847A358-2E99-45D2-8DB0-B151AB1A5518.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 60
Does that happen often? Would planting into a cover crop stop the ground capping?
Luck of the draw really. Nearly 5” of thunder rain in a day and a half. It doesn’t happen that often.
Pic is dryland maize. Clover disced and ploughed down. Planted 25days.

Attachments

• 7913E7BA-5797-4392-AA5D-BC57095A6064.jpeg
    7913E7BA-5797-4392-AA5D-BC57095A6064.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 49
Ground in DD for 10yrs.
Crop of clover and vetch removed, then DD into stubble. It’s looking anemic at best. Planted 27days.

Attachments

• EEDDA9B6-2079-483C-AEB7-F131A9AD9353.jpeg
    EEDDA9B6-2079-483C-AEB7-F131A9AD9353.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 91CEF36D-A4AB-4A63-A153-B5877E52199B.jpeg
    91CEF36D-A4AB-4A63-A153-B5877E52199B.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 44
Wow. I wouldn’t plant sorghum that thick.
Best crop of maize I ever grew was planted with the Moore drill at 6" spacing and mistakenly planted at 50k per acre, was looking average so splashplated slurry on it one very wet day :rolleyes2:, talk about doing everything wrong :lol:

Luck of the draw really. Nearly 5” of thunder rain in a day and a half. It doesn’t happen that often.
Pic is dryland maize. Clover disced and ploughed down. Planted 25days.
What make of drill has done that? Looks a very even spacing. We're pretty much drilling all round here at 42000/acre now, one did say he was thinking of dropping to 40k or his seed supplier reckoned he could.

I don't know, I thought it looked thick as well. 30" rows and about 3" spacing at most, what ever that works out to.
Measure 13.33m of one drill. That’s one thousand of a hectare.
We’ve some of the capped maize at 30k/ha (worst) and 60k/ha (best) so all is being taken out. The problem is that we’ve to give it a rub of a harrow also to take out the weeds because they’d be too crabby to kill by the time the resown maize hit 5-6 leaves.

Reactions: Paw
Is 280 maize still okay to plan this late in France?
Ah yea.
Rule of thumb for irrigated forage maize is divide the index by 2.3, and it’ll be at 33%DM in that amount of days. It’s surprisingly accurate. You could book the harvester the day you plant it...grain maize is harder to calculate because the weather has such an influence on the moisture content of the grain, iykwim.

What make of drill has done that? Looks a very even spacing. We're pretty much drilling all round here at 42000/acre now, one did say he was thinking of dropping to 40k or his seed supplier reckoned he could.
Kuhn.

That seed rate sounds extremely high to me. I’m (re)planting maize now at 88k/ha...even though the seed salesman recommends 95k/ha. But he would, wouldn’t he.

Planting hopefully finished last night. Had a walk this morning checking for crow damage. There’s a lot of the first round of planted maize after regrowing, even though it all got a belt of a harrow. Up to 20k/ha in the worst of it. Would it be ok to spray off these with glyphosate? The replanted maize has some shoots just about to peep, would the round up kill them? The shoots are still white(ish), as they’re just breaking the surface.

Back