Mart v factory

Lets not forget what it cost to take them to the mart 4 times and bring them home 3 times...
€50 each time gone of the total value of any animal traded through a mart. I always think I'm way too conservate in only allowing €10 for sickness and reduced thrive

In this case they were only traded once,no mart fées the other times.
No matter what,it paid to keep them til now . finishing animals is now the most profitable part of the cycle as store cattle haven't risen much at all

In this case they were only traded once,no mart fées the other times.
No matter what,it paid to keep them til now . finishing animals is now the most profitable part of the cycle as store cattle haven't risen much at all
There is a entrance fee in most marts around here, haulage too and from the mart would be €10 - €20, reduced thrive would be €10, easy not to consider all these costs.

With a winter finishing cereal mix at €300+ per ton, I fail to see where the decent margin is. I wouldn't like to be at it balls deep

350 for 7 weeks, 49 days so for handiness let’s say 50 days so €7/day.

€1.50 a day meal, so €75. I’ll hazard a guess of 2.5 bales silage a head at even say €20 is another €50, then add slurry or else straw and dung, diesel to feed, diesel to and from mart, if your heading to factory you could easily add atleast €10/head (probably a lot more depending how far) for the truck to get them there. Then add all the deductions that come off the animal at factory after the big ticket price that everyone looks at, I can’t remember exactly off the top of my head but between insurance, vet, clipping that they love to stick on at any chance at all, you’ll knock probably another €15 a head off the price.

At the end of it all I doubt you’d be paying yourself too much for the effort of going up the yard to feed them

350 for 7 weeks, 49 days so for handiness let’s say 50 days so €7/day.

€1.50 a day meal, so €75. I’ll hazard a guess of 2.5 bales silage a head at even say €20 is another €50, then add slurry or else straw and dung, diesel to feed, diesel to and from mart, if your heading to factory you could easily add atleast €10/head (probably a lot more depending how far) for the truck to get them there. Then add all the deductions that come off the animal at factory after the big ticket price that everyone looks at, I can’t remember exactly off the top of my head but between insurance, vet, clipping that they love to stick on at any chance at all, you’ll knock probably another €15 a head off the price.

At the end of it all I doubt you’d be paying yourself too much for the effort of going up the yard to feed them
If there wasn't a bit of profit at 7euro a day most animals are burning huge money every day

If there wasn't a bit of profit at 7euro a day most animals are burning huge money every day
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that there isn’t a potential there but when you take costs out of it what looked like great money extra at €350/ head doesn’t actually leave anywhere near the 350 in your actual pocket, that’s all that I was getting at. There’s no point saying that they made 350 more when there’s a chunk of extra money spent on them in that time frame too

Back